Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
When did this discussion turn into a racial issue? You're the one bringing that up, and I truly fail to see why. Someone's skin tone has nothing to do with it. You also stated that "all the people posting on this thread" have some sort of racial bias they have been trying to hide up till now. Ummm, OK. Even though I don't see any possible motivation for that personally, whatever.

Red flag laws can and will be abused by citizens and LE alike equally regardless of peoples color. There are no lines separating any one skin tone from another. I truly don't see where your angst is stemming from.

When you view life through the prism of race race race, everything is RAYCISS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:33 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
So this is the first time I am hearing about this

I got a dumb question

In States where this law is in effect. If someone makes a false claim that someone is dangerous to law enforcement. Can law enforcement enter a residents home without their consent?

Old 08-12-2019, 04:36 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

I got a dumb question

In States where this law is in effect. If someone makes a false claim that someone is dangerous to law enforcement. Can law enforcement enter a residents home without their consent?
Yes they can, most times a judge has to sign off on it and many judges will.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:43 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
I'm confused. I thought red flag laws allowed police and/or family members to petition the court to temporarily remove firearms from a person they feel is at risk to cause physical harm to them selves or others. Evidence still needs to be presented to a judge. Is this that much difference to have a mentally ill person adjudicated as being a threat and having his gun rights revoked? I suppose the laws are different per state but it seems the OP scenario the police just showed in the middle of the night I assume based on an ERPO that they must have gotten with fabricated evidence. That or the judge was bought off.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:46 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:

I got a dumb question

What Floorist said. All it takes is a report to LE who will get a judge to sign off on it in chambers. You will be guilty until proven innocent but in the meantime say goodbye to your guns. More than likely permanently as if you have nice firearms they will "disappear in evidence" meaning they now reside in the gun safe of some cop, DA or judge.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What Floorist said. All it takes is a report to LE who will get a judge to sign off on it in chambers. You will be guilty until proven innocent but in the meantime say goodbye to your guns. More than likely permanently as if you have nice firearms they will "disappear in evidence" meaning they now reside in the gun safe of some cop, DA or judge.
So do they come in unannounce do they knock
I know dumb question
Will the person who made a false claim be held accountable by law?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I'm confused. I thought red flag laws allowed police and/or family members to petition the court to temporarily remove firearms from a person they feel is at risk to cause physical harm to them selves or others. Evidence still needs to be presented to a judge. Is this that much difference to have a mentally ill person adjudicated as being a threat and having his gun rights revoked? I suppose the laws are different per state but it seems the OP scenario the police just showed in the middle of the night I assume based on an ERPO that they must have gotten with fabricated evidence. That or the judge was bought off.
I know in my State

I work in social service field.

If you voluntarily commit yourself believe the police seize your weapons for six months

Now if you involuntarily commit yourself then they don't get seized

Now I don't know if you involuntarily commit yourself and make a threat against someone that your firearms can be seized. I want to say if any police involvement prior or restraint order then I think they would be seized. Not 100% sure.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
I'd be ok with mental health evaluations before you are allowed to get a gun license, and opening up high school records for background check. We do need a national background check.
It won't stop all of the bad guys from getting a gun, but may help stop some of them that are too stupid (to be creative about getting one illegally) from getting one.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
So do they come in unannounce do they knock
I know dumb question
Will the person who made a false claim be held accountable by law?
I think it varies on the area.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
victim blaming, its a thing.
Idiots exist. Would you comply if armed police told you...."Put the gun down" I sure would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies