U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 02:56 AM

23,526 posts, read 11,659,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Look at the SJW.

Preaching filth to children.
You mad pro ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 AM

3,694 posts, read 734,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Nice try. Her sister didn't say that Ride never feared being persecuted/fired if she came out as openly gay. She merely stated that her sister was a private person. You can be a private person and openly gay. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Fact is that Ride was around in a time where being openly gay would have meant government persecution and being fired from her job. Any reasonable person in her shoes would fear being fired under such circumstances if they came out as gay. You don't have to like that but its the truth.
OK, so you're saying 35 years ago, it could have had an adverse effect on Ride if she came out as gay.

But that was a generation ago. Things have improved immensely for gays, including the right to get married, and NOW all of a sudden it's important for liberals to make this an issue for public school children? It's a sign that leftists have invaded the party and pulled it far left, not that "fear of persecution" has become such an issue.

We all pay property taxes (mine is more than my mortgage payment) so that children can be educated with the basics needed to support themselves upon graduation, or to enter college. They don't need to know that Sally Ride was gay. Liberals need to stop inserting their focus on identity politics into school curriculums.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 AM

19,698 posts, read 12,409,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I donít get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html

The main reason I sent all my kids to Catholic schools. The left has controlled public education and this is a form of child abuse.

Let kids be kids and focus on education, not political indoctrination. This is why the rest of Illinois wants to split from Chicago- too many left wing loonies.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)

12,294 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, so you're saying 35 years ago, it could have had an adverse effect on Ride if she came out as gay.

But that was a generation ago. Things have improved immensely for gays, including the right to get married, and NOW all of a sudden it's important for liberals to make this an issue for public school children? It's a sign that leftists have invaded the party and pulled it far left, not that "fear of persecution" has become such an issue.

We all pay property taxes (mine is more than my mortgage payment) so that children can be educated with the basics needed to support themselves upon graduation, or to enter college. They don't need to know that Sally Ride was gay. Liberals need to stop inserting their focus on identity politics into school curriculums.
Things have improved for blacks, but we still teach black history as part of American history.

LGBT history is American history, too. Given the persecution faced by LGBT individuals at the hands of government and society, the success of LGBT individuals in spite of all of that is all the more newsworthy.

But, again, we're talking about a few sentences added to a lesson plan. Don't see what the big deal is.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The main reason I sent all my kids to Catholic schools. The left has controlled public education and this is a form of child abuse.

Let kids be kids and focus on education, not political indoctrination. This is why the rest of Illinois wants to split from Chicago- too many left wing loonies.
No offense, but I'm keeping any children I have far away from Catholic anything if there are priests around

Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 AM

30,083 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Quote:
Things have improved for blacks, but we still teach black history as part of American history.

LGBT history is American history, too. Given the persecution faced by LGBT individuals at the hands of government and society, the success of LGBT individuals in spite of all of that is all the more newsworthy.

But, again, we're talking about a few sentences added to a lesson plan. Don't see what the big deal is.

Quote:
No offense, but I'm keeping any children I have far away from Catholic anything if there are priests around
What if Catholicism were taught as part of a mandatory public govt school religious curriculum, we're talking about a few sentences added to a lesson plan. Don't see what the big deal is.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What if Catholicism were taught as part of a mandatory public govt school religious curriculum, we're talking about a few sentences added to a lesson plan. Don't see what the big deal is.
Except, the plight of and history of Catholicism are taught in public school. Specifically, the historical role of the Catholic Church. Also, persecution against Catholics, the role of Catholics in the Civil Rights Movement (and the discrimination they also faced at the hands of the KKK), etc., are taught as part of public school curriculum. As far as a public government school religious curriculum, you do know that such a course is unconstitutional, right? That pesky First Amendment gets in the way . . .

Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 AM

3,694 posts, read 734,523 times
Quote:

It's just a few sentences? I didn't see where it says that.

Regardless, it is sending the message that liberals want to send: it doesn't matter only what you accomplish, but also which group you "identify" with (black, gay, transgender, Hispanic, whatever) is a consideration too. That might go along with how liberals fill job openings (Hillary was notorious for this - she'd check out which "type" of person was missing from her staff, and then say "find me a Hispanic" or whatever was missing) rather than the sole cnsideration being one's knowledge, abilities, and accomplishments.

I saw this at the liberal DC place I worked. We had a lot of unqualified people at the director level, and that's because they factored in - as a huge positive - the homosexuality of applicants over qualifications. Almost half of the 60 directors we had were gay!

And that is the message we would be sending schoolchildren: that who you (in terms of identity) is just as important, if not more so, than your ability to do your job. And it is not a good one. Grade school is instead the time to provide schoolchildren with the basic academic knowledge necessary to get a job or go in to college.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's just a few sentences? I didn't see where it says that.

Regardless, it is sending the message that liberals want to send: it doesn't matter only what you accomplish, but also that which group you "identify" with (black, gay, transgender, Hispanic, whatever) is a consideration too. That might go along with how liberals fill job openings (Hillary was notorious for this - she'd check out which "type" of person was missing from her staff, and then say "find me a Hispanic" or whatever was missing) rather than the sole cnsideration being one's knowledge, abilities, and accomplishments.

I saw this at the liberal DC place I worked. We had a lot of unqualified people at the director level, and that's because they factored in - as a huge positive - the homosexuality of applicants over qualifications. Almost half of the 60 directors we had were gay!

And that is the message we would be sending schoolchildren: that who you (in terms of identity) is just as important, if not more so, than your ability to do your job. And it is not a good one. Grade school is instead the time to provide schoolchildren with the basic academic knowledge necessary to get a job or go in to college.
Except it does matter what you accomplish, as randos aren't being targeted for inclusion in this curriculum change. Specifically, it matters what you accomplished in the face of government discrimination that prevented you from living your truth out in the open.

As for a few sentences, that's just my guess given how many other subjects are handled.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 AM

30,083 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Quote:
Except, the plight of and history of Catholicism are taught in public school. Specifically, the historical role of the Catholic Church. Also, persecution against Catholics, the role of Catholics in the Civil Rights Movement (and the discrimination they also faced at the hands of the KKK), etc., are taught as part of public school curriculum. As far as a public government school religious curriculum, you do know that such a course is unconstitutional, right? That pesky First Amendment gets in the way . . .
Well I don't believe any of that, your hypocrisy has been exposed; you want others to have tolerance for your agenda while you express intolerance for theirs.
Im not knocking the intolerance, I'm suggesting catholic schools can teach Catholicism, LGBTQ schools can teach their brand of religion, and you stop preaching tolerance while being intolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or