U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM

5,483 posts, read 1,371,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
^^^
There you are, folks.

Notwithstanding the fact that schools shoukd be teaching academics, you have the **t dream of the alphabet mob--that what straight kids really want to do, is get their freak on.

Thanks for the laugh.
My high school kids tells me that she doesn't think all the kids who identify as this or that are really this or that. She says gender bending is merely 'in'. I thought that was pretty astute of a 15 year old to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 11 days ago)

12,323 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And what exactly is "intolerance"?

For the left, intolerance is "holding a negative opinion." So anyone who "doesn't agree with XXX" is "intolerant" of XXX in the mind of a leftist.

But for a rational individual, not agreeing with something is not intolerance. For a rational individual, one can disagree with XXX, yet still be tolerant of XXX. So for instance, I can dislike liver and onions, yet be tolerant of those who engage in eating liver and onions. The problem with today's society is that those who eat liver and onions want to rub the fact that they eat liver and onions in my (and everyone's) face; and of THAT I am certainly intolerant. So you eat liver and onions. Whooptee ****. What do you want me to do about it? Cartwheels?
While I agree with you generally, I don't view showcasing the lives of prominent LGBT individuals as rubbing it in anyone's face. At least no more than showcasing the lives of heterosexual people.

Also, while you (as an example) disliking liver and onions and yet still being able to tolerate/be around those who eat liver and onions (or around liver and onions itself) is tolerance, that's not what we are seeing here with calls by some to exclude the LGBT portion from the curriculum. That's the complete opposite of tolerance. Its saying that I don't want LGBT history near me, taught to my kids, etc.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 AM

14,234 posts, read 6,501,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sending your child to a govt school is a form of child abuse.
Explain specifically why you feel this is abusive.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 AM

30,101 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Explain specifically why you feel this is abusive.
I realize I was the first respondent and this was the first post, so maybe read the rest of the thread?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 AM

14,234 posts, read 6,501,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I realize I was the first respondent and this was the first post, so maybe read the rest of the thread?
Actually, you could just answer the simple question. You are the one who said it, Iím simply asking for an explanation.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 AM

15,370 posts, read 13,465,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The main reason I sent all my kids to Catholic schools. The left has controlled public education and this is a form of child abuse.

Let kids be kids and focus on education, not political indoctrination. This is why the rest of Illinois wants to split from Chicago- too many left wing loonies.
Come on, kids getting bullied because they're gay or for other reasons with the school doing little about it is what child abuse in public schools is really about. And you can be sure it causes a hell of a lot more harm to the child than anything the teacher is teaching. Have you ever heard of what a teacher taught caused someone to commit suicide? So seriously, hawkeye2009, your viewpoint is nothing but all out WRONG!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 AM

14,540 posts, read 8,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think these types of issues should be handled at the family level. Sexuality shouldn't really be in the realm of what the government teaches our kids. I'm not against LGBT community but again, those issues are for the parents to decide, not some school administrators.
You have a valid point, but lets imagine that there is a child in school who is different. Are we supposed to teach tolerance in our schools or ignore the issue? Kids are cruel to anything different. One of the kids in my life is 8 and was constantly bullied at camp because she is over weight. It would have been a perfect time for an adult to intervene and explain that people are born different. It would be the same with a little boy who gravitates towards girl toys and vice versa. Tolerance begins at home and should be extended to the classroom. No one should be forced to hide who they were born to be. There is a basic biology lesson to be taught here and it is the perfect opportunity to explain differences. It doesn't have to be graphic or sexual in nature.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM

25,212 posts, read 9,830,063 times
Quote:
Actually, you could just answer the simple question. You are the one who said it, Iím simply asking for an explanation.
You won't like the answer. It has nothing to do with LGBTQ curriculum.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM

1,766 posts, read 432,996 times
Quote:
I guess he saw the description then that Youtuber who posted on Youtube this parody of School House Rock about substitute teacher.

Quote:
Ahhh, the joys of US public schools in the 21st century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHYtYE8_bzU

Btw, I wonder if this situation will turn in a more or less similar situation to the one who happened in Britain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVnBKCzpMqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0zyHi01Rzo

Old 08-13-2019, 04:41 PM

4,815 posts, read 4,058,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I agree with you generally, I don't view showcasing the lives of prominent LGBT individuals as rubbing it in anyone's face. At least no more than showcasing the lives of heterosexual people.
When is it emphasized that someone made their mark in history because they were heterosexual? I've never heard that emphasized or even such a connection made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Also, while you (as an example) disliking liver and onions and yet still being able to tolerate/be around those who eat liver and onions (or around liver and onions itself) is tolerance, that's not what we are seeing here with calls by some to exclude the LGBT portion from the curriculum. That's the complete opposite of tolerance. Its saying that I don't want LGBT history near me, taught to my kids, etc.
When discussing someone's notable place in history, when/how can it be drawn that their accomplishment or contribution stems from them being predisposed towards certain homosexual behaviors? What exactly is "LGBT history"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or