Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Things have improved immensely for gays
Have they? Some of the responses in this thread would prove otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I don’t get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html
Why does it matter? Mainly, because an entire class of people have been rendered invisible for centuries by keeping them oppressed. It is particularly important, because in this case the class of people are invisible, unlike other classes of people that are easily identified by their race or ethnicity. Discriminating, and oppressing homosexuals has been an extremely effective way of keeping them invisible, thus blending in with the heterosexual majority, when they shouldn’t have to.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I don’t get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html
We take for granted being represented. Astronauts appear in shoots with their spouses and no one blinks or thinks why is it important that they are het/married... whatever. It's important.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually, you could just answer the simple question. You are the one who said it, I’m simply asking for an explanation.
I'll jump in an answer, for myself specifically, and for morally/logically consistent thinking generally:

The government school/curriculum forces a specific set of ideas and way of thinking onto a captive audience who have no choice in either being there or hearing the message. It is to the brain what Chinese foot binding is to the foot because it is engineered to cripple an otherwise functional part of the mind/body in pursuit of conformity.

When you take a child who is as infinitely individual as every other child, and you put the brain binders/limiters/constraints on them in order to assimilate them along some government approved K-12 "standard", you may as well hit them in the head with a hammer, since the net result is functionally the same. You have purposely limited their intellectual potential because they were required to conform to some watered down, lowest common denominator template designed around the self-esteem of those who have none. I.e., you have gone out of your way to cripple them.

The reason you don't see it is because you were most likely crippled via the same system, but have managed to make something of yourself IN SPITE OF that, so you see the system as one that works. Most people simply cannot accept that ~99% of their daily existence happens IN SPITE OF government. Not just absent the government, but literally IN SPITE OF it. Like you actively oppose, circumvent, evade, contradict, etc. You don't know you're doing it, but you are. When the ordinary person excels, they stop conforming to the state standard, thus oppose that standard. Government does not want you to excel. They want a standard because standards are easier to regulate and control.

So when your send your kid to their Ministries of Truth and begin the standardization process that takes 13 years, you are sending your kids to be mentally abused and intellectually crippled by the State.

Not sure what they call intentionally crippling someone where you're from, but where I am from, we call that abuse.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The reason you don't see it is because you were most likely crippled via the same system, but have managed to make something of yourself IN SPITE OF that, so you see the system as one that works. Most people simply cannot accept that ~99% of their daily existence happens IN SPITE OF government. Not just absent the government, but literally IN SPITE OF it. Like you actively oppose, circumvent, evade, contradict, etc. You don't know you're doing it, but you are. When the ordinary person excels, they stop conforming to the state standard, thus oppose that standard. Government does not want you to excel. They want a standard because standards are easier to regulate and control.

So when your send your kid to their Ministries of Truth and begin the standardization process that takes 13 years, you are sending your kids to be mentally abused and intellectually crippled by the State.

Not sure what they call intentionally crippling someone where you're from, but where I am from, we call that abuse.
I agree with you but, disagree at the same time.

See, the Army represents what little success I have achieved, and if the Army isn't governmental standards, I don't know what is.

However, it was my choice as an ADULT and my nature that made the Army a good for me. I chose to enlist despite my entire schooling as a CHILD saying the military is bad, a poor career choice, for losers etc...

So to that last bit, you are absolutely right! I excelled in spite of my childhood schooling. There does need to be some general knowledge kids need in math, sciences, trades and skills.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
When is it emphasized that someone made their mark in history because they were heterosexual? I've never heard that emphasized or even such a connection made.

When discussing someone's notable place in history, when/how can it be drawn that their accomplishment or contribution stems from them being predisposed towards certain homosexual behaviors? What exactly is "LGBT history"?
1) I don't think anyone is arguing that these historical figures made their mark because they are gay or straight. Rather--at least in this case--it is to showcase the achievements of individuals who made their mark despite the persecution they faced just for being who they are (LGBT), at a time where government decried homosexuality as a mental illness and would fire people on account of their sexual orientation. Fundamentally, as is the case with black history, LGBT history in this context is American history. And these peoples' stories need to be told, IMO.

2) I think LGBT history fits into a few categories at least. First, are those people who actually led the fight for LGBT rights and acceptance, to include those who marched, filed lawsuits, and took on the establishment to be treated with dignity. Another are those people who persevered and thrived despite their fear of persecution for being gay, again at a time when government view homosexuality as a mental illness and was firing people for being who they were.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 PM

126 posts, read 49,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
Dumbing kids down even more. I didn't even know that about Sally Ride nor do I even care! My kids are homeschooled and learn the basics they need to survive in society not feel good crap like this to make the social justice warriors happy.
They learn just the basics? Are you aware of how competitive the world out there it is, to get into good universities, graduate studies and good jobs? The basics is not enough to succeed academically and professionally

Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM

126 posts, read 49,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Parents in IL....HOMESCHOOL time...get your children out of the government re-education centers!
Hope they all have the intellectual abilities and knowledge to homeschool. If they barely pass high school, don’t understand science, can’t do more advanced math, they are jeopardizing their kids chance to get a real education

Old 08-14-2019, 05:51 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliampr View Post
Hope they all have the intellectual abilities and knowledge to homeschool. If they barely pass high school, don’t understand science, can’t do more advanced math, they are jeopardizing their kids chance to get a real education
Very true. Homeschooling is NOT for everyone.

And I write this as one who was home schooled until high school; my parents knew what they were doing, though.

But there are other families in the homeschooling league who were complete and utter disasters, and their children's academic failings were clear as day as a result. Seriously, I'm talking about people who couldn't read basic sentences as teens and who later had to go to alternative, private Quaker schools where everything was "learn at your own pace." They graduated due to the Quaker curriculum, but are still clearly lacking in basic educational fundamentals.

Now, I'm not saying that all or even most home schooled children are doomed to the above example. But people do need to know what they are getting themselves into.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
There does need to be some general knowledge kids need in math, sciences, trades and skills.
The entire K-12 curriculum can be absorbed by most people inside of 3-4 years, when you cut out the fluff, the editorials, the pandering to lowest common denominators, behavioral issues that waste time, etc. And none of it is especially hard to teach or help with, considering internet resources like online schools, home school teaching resources, etc.

If you started at age 5-6, by 8-9 you could easily have a kid pass the GED, satisfying Leviathan's dumbass standardization requirements, and then if arbitrary age brackets matter to you, that gives you 9-10 years before state approved "adulthood" to teach that kid anything and everything, letting them hit college light years ahead of the homogenized automatons the state run system is pumping out.

Think about a STEM career if Algebra is knocked out by age 8-9, and the next ten years you spend as much time on STEM subjects as the average parent of an athlete spends on their kid's chosen sport.

Want to know the real difference between an average kid and a gifted one? Reading books that nobody else wants to read. The average kid won't read those books unless a demand is placed on them, and the gifted kid will because they want to. That's it. Because in the end, all of the "smart guy" professions boil down to having read a bunch of books nobody else wants to read, and some guild or certifying org signing off that yeah, you read those books and retained enough of it to pass their test that day.

So send your kid to the state run crippling factory and let them shuffle around at 18 like the other cripples and hope they just figure out how to succeed in spite of your choices and the state's nonsense, or decide earlier to change the course and foster abilities almost everyone has inside and doesn't know about.

There's a reason the US gets crushed in academic measurements relative to an increasing number of countries. All these kids, and we take the entire right half of the bell curve and just cripple them back down to somewhere left of the median. Why? Because self-esteem, or social skills, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies