U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Status: "white culture is like living with radiation -IS" (set 12 days ago)
 
912 posts, read 164,853 times
Reputation: 553

Advertisements

This is all driven by the idiots in Chiraq. The rest of the state, for the most part, is not down with this. Its funny to me that they can mandate this but not teaching sound fiscal management lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM
 
30,083 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Reputation: 13987
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
School houses are where the minds of children are molded, where many learn to deal with the world and those who may be different from them. For many, its where their first real exposure to an inkling of racial, ethnic, etc., diversity is had. Empathy for others and teaching of acceptance are wholly appropriate in school houses, in my view. If parents don't like it, they are free to home school their children. Or send them to another school district/private school where such is not being taught. But I'll applaud those school districts/states taking such actions as this one. This is one of a few issues where I do not stand with the traditional GOP talking points on.
unfortunately many parents have abdicated the molding of minds to the state and it seems to worsen with each subsequent generation. Its probably an overwelming majority that actually believe without a govt education system, there would be no education. How crazy is that?
And as far as the blather about alternatives,they become much less possible (re:affordable) when/ because everyone is made poorer to pay for the states incompetent system.

Cue up the Manilow: Feelings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 AM
 
5,040 posts, read 993,946 times
Reputation: 2018
I think people like Sally Ride should be known for their achievements vs. their sexual orientation or politics! Now, if said person was known to be a child predator or anti-Semitic or something extreme like that, the Dark Side of that person should be brought up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM
 
422 posts, read 170,789 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Because, believe it or not, some people in the world still fell that if you're a woman, you can't "do great things", let alone, a LESBIAN.

What is so wrong about letting people know that regardless of your sexuality, you can do anything you put your mind to, and that LGBTQ people are just that, people, and shouldn't be hindered/judged BECAUSE of their sexuality.

This isn't rocket science. Pun intended.
The point is, they arenít judged by their sexuality. Why does anyone need to know it? Most people donít care. Itís about their accomplishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Status: "Quo Fata Farunt" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Self explanatory
11,874 posts, read 5,026,838 times
Reputation: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
The point is, they arenít judged by their sexuality. Why does anyone need to know it? Most people donít care. Itís about their accomplishments.
Great. If that's good for you, awesome.

For some though, it simply isn't. For some, she may be deemed less of a human because of her sexuality. Example: Evangelicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 AM
 
7,113 posts, read 2,586,193 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sending your child to a govt school is a form of child abuse.
Can't rep you anymore, so informally - +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 AM
 
7,113 posts, read 2,586,193 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
School houses are where the minds of children are molded...
...into the mindless automatons of collectivist life.

Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM
 
52,337 posts, read 42,100,175 times
Reputation: 32657
Well kids take very little history these days anyway so if you devote some time to the Civil Rights era and then expand that into Stonewall etc. I see no harm in that but rather an opportunity for (anyone) to understand what is frankly important history in our country.

This stands even if you don't agree with LGBT stuff, it's still reality.

It's not like they're mandating a semester long class on LGBT studies lol.

Many of the public schools in IL are cash strapped as it is and having a hard enough time maintaining their educational levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,294 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
unfortunately many parents have abdicated the molding of minds to the state and it seems to worsen with each subsequent generation. Its probably an overwelming majority that actually believe without a govt education system, there would be no education. How crazy is that?
And as far as the blather about alternatives,they become much less possible (re:affordable) when/ because everyone is made poorer to pay for the states incompetent system.

Cue up the Manilow: Feelings
You can be and are molded at home, too. But, let's face it: in today's world (and its been this way since people started going to school outside of the home), you spend most of your day either away from your parents in school or asleep. Thus, most of your "molding" will take place "away" from your parents. Again, this isn't anything new.

Now, I don't believe that government education is the be all and end all for educational standards (its wholly insufficient in many ways), but will also applaud where I see things moving in the right direction.

At the end of the day, all a little extra understanding and love of others who aren't "like you" did was increase tolerance throughout the world. But this is different from telling people how they have to think and feel; that I'd be opposed to. Exposing people to different views and beliefs and lifestyles, though, I'm all for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:14 AM
 
30,083 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Reputation: 13987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well kids take very little history these days anyway so if you devote some time to the Civil Rights era and then expand that into Stonewall etc. I see no harm in that but rather an opportunity for (anyone) to understand what is frankly important history in our country.

This stands even if you don't agree with LGBT stuff, it's still reality.

It's not like they're mandating a semester long class on LGBT studies lol.

Many of the public schools in IL are cash strapped as it is and having a hard enough time maintaining their educational levels.
Except as the state teaches it, its largely a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top