U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)

12,294 posts, read 6,463,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well kids take very little history these days anyway so if you devote some time to the Civil Rights era and then expand that into Stonewall etc. I see no harm in that but rather an opportunity for (anyone) to understand what is frankly important history in our country.

This stands even if you don't agree with LGBT stuff, it's still reality.

It's not like they're mandating a semester long class on LGBT studies lol.

Many of the public schools in IL are cash strapped as it is and having a hard enough time maintaining their educational levels.
Right. I really don't understand the pushback on this one ; in reality, this is only going to take an hour or two (if that) throughout the entire school year (the horror ) They are merely teaching history and acceptance, both good things in my book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 10:48 AM

14,540 posts, read 8,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
School houses are where the minds of children are molded, where many learn to deal with the world and those who may be different from them. For many, its where their first real exposure to an inkling of racial, ethnic, etc., diversity is had. Empathy for others and teaching of acceptance are wholly appropriate in school houses, in my view. If parents don't like it, they are free to home school their children. Or send them to another school district/private school where such is not being taught. But I'll applaud those school districts/states taking such actions as this one. This is one of a few issues where I do not stand with the traditional GOP talking points on.
Kudos. I could not have said this better. My generation grew up with grandparents who asked how many (N) in your school. It's a despicable mentality that some have not been able to unlearn. The world and America is full of diversity. It should be respected, and that starts at an early age.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:50 AM

14,540 posts, read 8,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
They barely have time to teach American History as it is now so does that mean it will be further pushed aside so the History of gay people and their struggles can be taught?

With the way gay people are being portrayed on TV and in movies one would think that kid have a pretty good grasp on what it means to be gay.

Instead of teaching this nonsense why don't they return to a curriculum that actually teaches kids life skills like cooking, handling credit, balancing a checkbook on a budget, changing a tire etc...

Kids are smart these days, they can figure out the social aspects of society.
Why does it have to be one or the other Why not both

Old 08-12-2019, 10:57 AM

11,200 posts, read 4,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sending your child to a govt school is a form of child abuse.
Honestly as someone who's been to an elite private school (the kind where most kids drove Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes to school), the material they cover is almost the same. If anything, the private school espoused progressive principles even more fervently than the public school did.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 AM

30,083 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Honestly as someone who's been to an elite private school (the kind where most kids drove Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes to school), the material they cover is almost the same. If anything, the private school espoused progressive principles even more fervently than the public school did.
when did you attend?
Honestly, I never said it the carriculum shouldn't be taught, its that education should be private and the curriculum be left entirely up to the school and the parents of the children who attend that school.
If you want little billy growing up consumed by identity politics rather than learning critical thinking skills, thats your bag, just dont force everyone else to pay for it.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 AM

40,686 posts, read 40,248,076 times
I think these types of issues should be handled at the family level. Sexuality shouldn't really be in the realm of what the government teaches our kids. I'm not against LGBT community but again, those issues are for the parents to decide, not some school administrators.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:27 AM

25,206 posts, read 9,830,063 times
Quote:
Sending your child to a govt school is a form of child abuse.
And both teams happily support the EIC.

Despite the cut to Sammy's classroom in the budget Big Daddy Tariff (Trump) has $60 billion assigned to the scheme.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 AM

30,083 posts, read 16,619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And both teams happily support the EIC.

Despite the cut to Sammy's classroom in the budget Big Daddy Tariff (Trump) has $60 billion assigned to the scheme.
He's progressive enough to make FDR blush

Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 AM

11,200 posts, read 4,942,966 times
Quote:
when did you attend?
Honestly, I never said it the carriculum shouldn't be taught, its that education should be private and the curriculum be left entirely up to the school and the parents of the children who attend that school.
If you want little billy growing up consumed by identity politics rather than learning critical thinking skills, thats your bag, just dont force everyone else to pay for it.
Early/mid 2000s. Also I grew up in a very left-wing area, so that's undoubtedly a factor.

I don't want to force anyone to pay (and I loathe identity politics), but I do think if government regulations weren't so onerous, there'd be an abundance of affordable schooling options. Some states won't even allow someone to babysit more than 4 kids without a license that requires jumping through a million hoops. And people wonder why daycare is so expensive.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM

25,206 posts, read 9,830,063 times
Quote:
He's progressive enough to make FDR blush
Saint Ronnie doubled Dept. of Ed funding after promising to abolish it.

FDR has been blushing over his Marxist counterparts for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or