U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 PM
 
1,490 posts, read 327,394 times
Reputation: 2149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It is NOT as important that children know that Sally Ride was gay (I didn't know that, and now that I do....I couldn't care less) as it is for them to focus in academic and job preparation classes.

Ah to hell with it. Better to teach kids they can self-identify as the Easter bunny and there are 5,000 genders rather than to compete from a skills standpoint with the rest of the world.

It is sad how many people don't stand up to these sick agendas in our school systems. The US is collapsing rapidly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM
 
1,314 posts, read 270,990 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Not true. In basic biographies of historical figures, their family--to include spouse--is always mentioned. In fact, my honors and AP history teachers used to quiz us on that information to see if we actually read the entire book or piece

But, if heterosexual people were persecuted like LGBT individuals were, then sure I'd have no problem with having such consideration in this historical academic context. But we are not comparing apples to apples here.
How was Sally Ride persecuted ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,294 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
How was Sally Ride persecuted ?
I'll add fear of persecution to my point. Doesn't really change my position overall.

But Sally Ride was lesbian in a time where publicly outing herself would've meant an end to her career and the harassment that came with being openly LGBT in a very different hostile time for LGBT individuals. Due to both official government sanctioned discrimination (heck, we are talking about a time where the government still declared homosexuality as a mental illness . . . you think they wouldn't have fired her had she come out??), she was not able to publicly live her life.

In spite of all of that, she was able to accomplish much, showing that there was nothing "wrong" with her. Note, we're talking about a sentence or two added to a lesson plan. Not an entire class or days worth of class being dedicated to Sally Ride's life as a lesbian. Again, I don't see how this is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:28 PM
 
1,314 posts, read 270,990 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'll add fear of persecution to my point. Doesn't really change my position overall.

But Sally Ride was lesbian in a time where publicly outing herself would've meant an end to her career and the harassment that came with being openly LGBT in a very different hostile time for LGBT individuals. Due to both official government sanctioned discrimination (heck, we are talking about a time where the government still declared homosexuality as a mental illness . . . you think they wouldn't have fired her had she come out??), she was not able to publicly live her life.

In spite of all of that, she was able to accomplish much, showing that there was nothing "wrong" with her. Note, we're talking about a sentence or two added to a lesson plan. Not an entire class or days worth of class being dedicated to Sally Ride's life as a lesbian. Again, I don't see how this is a bad thing.
She was a quiet person and wanted her personal life personal.
She had no fear of persecution.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...ld-she-f908942
"My sister was a very private person. Sally had a very fundamental sense of privacy, it was just her nature, because we're Norwegians, through and through. People did not know she had pancreatic cancer, this is bound to be a huge shock. For 17 months, nobody knew, and everyone does now. Her memorial fund is going to be in support of pancreatic cancer.

"Most people did not know that Sally had a wonderfully loving relationship with Tam O'Shaughnessy for 27 years. Sally never hid her relationship with Tam. They were partners, business partners in Sally Ride Science, they wrote books together, and Sally's very close friends, of course, knew of their love for each other. We consider Tam a member of our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
67,138 posts, read 34,170,157 times
Reputation: 14447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I donít get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html



Home schooling should take off, with neighborhood moms and dads, taking turns each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,294 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
She was a quiet person and wanted her personal life personal.
She had no fear of persecution.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...ld-she-f908942
"My sister was a very private person. Sally had a very fundamental sense of privacy, it was just her nature, because we're Norwegians, through and through. People did not know she had pancreatic cancer, this is bound to be a huge shock. For 17 months, nobody knew, and everyone does now. Her memorial fund is going to be in support of pancreatic cancer.

"Most people did not know that Sally had a wonderfully loving relationship with Tam O'Shaughnessy for 27 years. Sally never hid her relationship with Tam. They were partners, business partners in Sally Ride Science, they wrote books together, and Sally's very close friends, of course, knew of their love for each other. We consider Tam a member of our family.
Yes, she did have fear of persecution, and if you believe otherwise I have a bridge to sell you. Let's remember, this was a time when LGBT people were still getting discharged from federal military service and when no administration would dare to hire an openly LGBT person to their team. Ride began her career at NASA at a time where federal employment discrimination against LGBT individuals was still legal and where thousands of people had previously been fired on suspicion of being gay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_10450

While the federal civil service officially allowed gays to serve in 1975, it was still lawful (until 1995!) to discriminate against people seeking national security access (i.e. a security clearance . . . the fear being that foreign governments and adversaries would be able to blackmail you if they found out you were LGBT), which Sally Ride had to qualify for as an astronaut.

Heterosexual people live private lives all of the time. But rarely will someone go their entire life in the public sector without people (I mean the public and employers) knowing who their significant other is. That is not normal, though I'm not surprised that her close friends knew about the relationship . . . closeted LGBT people are often out to close friends and family members and build community with other LGBT people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Status: "Try my Sword-Flavored Beef, now with Extra Justice!" (set 9 days ago)
 
1,470 posts, read 838,526 times
Reputation: 2258
Y'know, th story of the city of Sodom goes something along the lines of this, not just that they were gay, but became, so narcissisticly debased that gayness trumped everything until there were all turned into salt pillars in a flash of light.

This SJW activism bullcrap is becoming so ridiculous and decoid of any level of sense or reason, that we won't even realize when we get nuked (turned into ash pillars in a flash of light). I don't know if the story of Sodom is a true story but, it damn sure seems like a prophecy.

...also, cuz' I KNOW somebody is gonna ask; No. The world is not only 7,000 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 PM
 
1,314 posts, read 270,990 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, she did have fear of persecution, and if you believe otherwise I have a bridge to sell you. Let's remember, this was a time when LGBT people were still getting discharged from federal military service and when no administration would dare to hire an openly LGBT person to their team. Ride began her career at NASA at a time where federal employment discrimination against LGBT individuals was still legal and where thousands of people had previously been fired on suspicion of being gay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_10450

While the federal civil service officially allowed gays to serve in 1975, it was still lawful (until 1995!) to discriminate against people seeking national security access (i.e. a security clearance . . . the fear being that foreign governments and adversaries would be able to blackmail you if they found out you were LGBT), which Sally Ride had to qualify for as an astronaut.

Heterosexual people live private lives all of the time. But rarely will someone go their entire life in the public sector without people (I mean the public and employers) knowing who their significant other is. That is not normal, though I'm not surprised that her close friends knew about the relationship . . . closeted LGBT people are often out to close friends and family members and build community with other LGBT people.
I think I will believe what her sister said vs what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,294 posts, read 6,463,335 times
Reputation: 11949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I think I will believe what her sister said vs what you said.
Nice try. Her sister didn't say that Ride never feared being persecuted/fired if she came out as openly gay. She merely stated that her sister was a private person. You can be a private person and openly gay. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Fact is that Ride was around in a time where being openly gay would have meant government persecution and being fired from her job. Any reasonable person in her shoes would fear being fired under such circumstances if they came out
as gay. You don't have to like that but its the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 PM
 
5,040 posts, read 993,946 times
Reputation: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Many years ago I was against homeschooling because I felt like even though K-12 education was watered down, the social aspects of homeschooling would be detrimental to a child's overall social maturation process.

In today's world I am 100% for homeschooling. "Educational" institutions today are nothing but indoctrination farms filled with propaganda and various twisted agendas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Y'know, th story of the city of Sodom goes something along the lines of this, not just that they were gay, but became, so narcissisticly debased that gayness trumped everything until there were all turned into salt pillars in a flash of light.

This SJW activism bullcrap is becoming so ridiculous and decoid of any level of sense or reason, that we won't even realize when we get nuked (turned into ash pillars in a flash of light). I don't know if the story of Sodom is a true story but, it damn sure seems like a prophecy.

...also, cuz' I KNOW somebody is gonna ask; No. The world is not only 7,000 years old.
Creationist here even though I know it can be hard for science to back-up Creationism outside of what is considered pseudoscience! I see the Earth as being 8000-10,000 years-old.

Going with your Sodom bit, they were very wicked people! Now much the homosexuality was a factor in their destruction is difficult to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top