Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well I don't believe any of that, your hypocrisy has been exposed; you want others to have tolerance for your agenda while you express intolerance for theirs.
Im not knocking the intolerance, I'm suggesting catholic schools can teach Catholicism, LGBTQ schools can teach their brand of religion, and you stop preaching tolerance while being intolerant.
This is fun. What don't you believe? That the history of Catholicism--among other faiths--is taught in public school history curricula? Or that it violates the First Amendment to teach a religious class on Catholicism in a public school (note, this is apart from a historical religious class that doesn't favor any religion, which are allowed).

When did you go to school? Surely, they were teaching this even when you were in school. Maybe, I'm wrong, though, and this is something relatively recent (like in the past 30 years).

And me thinks you need to look up hypocrisy if you think I'm being hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
LGBT is normal.
How would you convince someone who thinks it isn't? Using biology, or ethics, or theology?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
How would you convince someone who thinks it isn't? Using biology, or ethics, or theology?
By showing that LGBT people exist in our society and are doing great things, building loving homes and families, and living their lives just like everyone else. This curriculum changes promises to help with that. I also think that living with, working with, going to school with LGBT people will help out a lot. Much of our prejudices are based on ignorance that is wiped away once we're able to interact with "others" and see that maybe they aren't so bad after all.

Still, for those who won't be convinced either way, there's not much I can do. As is the case with anything, though, not everyone will be on board. Just like you have people who still view blacks as being inferior to whites, as one example . . . still, and public education has played a huge role in this, race relations have improved drastically over the last few decades.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:11 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Emotion. See response above.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Except it does matter what you accomplish, as randos aren't being targeted for inclusion in this curriculum change. Specifically, it matters what you accomplished in the face of government discrimination that prevented you from living your truth out in the open.

As for a few sentences, that's just my guess given how many other subjects are handled.
So you don't know it's only a few sentences. Maybe this will morph into "Gay History Week."

The point still stands. First, there is no government discrimination against gays - in fact, the government protects discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation - and second, we don't need to start indoctrinating children with liberalism (which is the focus on identity politics) when they are still learning frictions and decimals, or should be.

The best way to send the message that being gay is NBD is to ignore it when discussing the accomplishments of remarkable people. It is the accomplishment that matters, not whether the person was gay.

(And what if the person was bad? I've heard rumors that Hitler had homosexual tendencies. Should we include that when the Holocaust is taught?)

Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Illinois is the fourth state to include LGBTQ history into curriculum.

The state delegates content and age appropriateness to each district.

How does a school teach Civil Rights without including LGBTQ?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So you don't know it's only a few sentences. Maybe this will morph into "Gay History Week."

The point still stands. First, there is no government discrimination against gays - in fact, the government protects discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation - and second, we don't need to start indoctrinating children with liberalism (which is the focus on identity politics) when they are still learning frictions and decimals, or should be.

The best way to send the message that being gay is NBD is to ignore it when discussing the accomplishments of remarkable people. It is the accomplishment that matters, not whether the person was gay.

(And what if the person was bad? I've heard rumors that Hitler had homosexual tendencies. Should we include that when the Holocaust is taught?)
Maybe. But that wouldn't be so bad anyway. Whether its a few sentences, a day, or a week, it doesn't bother me for the reasons I outlined. And I think it'll only go to helping increase inclusivity and tolerance. Of course, my money is still on a few sentences.

Moving on, as a general rule, there is no more direct government discrimination against gays, though there is government sanctioned discrimination against gays as it remains legal in many jurisdictions to discriminate in employment, housing, etc., on account of sexual orientation: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...-where-n962711

Still, whether or not government actively discriminates against gays is besides the point (the point does not stand) as this is a history curriculum, not a current politics class. The curriculum is meant to discuss achievements within the context of past success even in the face of government discrimination. Similarly, we still talk about black history as American history, even though it has been illegal to discriminate against blacks (and on account of race) for decades now.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
So sociobiology determines what is normal. In these cases do you think you are right and the others wrong?
I mean, I'd like to think that I'm right, or else I wouldn't hold my position so strongly. I understand that others think they are right, too. In cases where there are disagreements over what is right vs. what is wrong, I'll generally go with the decision that advocates for tolerance and inclusivity over intolerance and a lack of inclusion.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Illinois is the fourth state to include LGBTQ history into curriculum.

The state delegates content and age appropriateness to each district.

How does a school teach Civil Rights without including LGBTQ?
By ignoring history, which many sadly seem content to do.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Meh.. I’m for it as long as it’s appropriate levels of education. I’m actually open to it being part of sex ed when the time is right to educate the youth that are homo/bisexual. I think the more open we are to many forms of education and expanding the conversation the better. I’m also for education of religion as well specially all religions in almost a theology class so kids can understand many if not all religions and their key beliefs.

Above all we have to start giving our kids a basic financial education something that we don’t teach them any longer. Not just “balancing a checkbook” but the understanding of money, debt, costs, retirement expectation. Just basically budgeting and financial management 101 would go a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies