U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

39,420 posts, read 20,544,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's billions with a B. Note that it's legal ones. I think this is a good way to get around chain migration.
Good. I've know elderly Americans who paid into the system all their lives but when they became elderly and sick, unable to make ends meets they couldn't get help, yet people who come here illegally can???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

39,420 posts, read 20,544,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He's not only opposing illegal immigration but legal immigrants who are not supporting themselves and are a burden to our society. Why in the world would you find fault with that?
oberon_1 is just repeating what he hears on liberal media. They ignore that we have sick and elderly who paid into the system all their lives but their applications for help get rejected while we are supposed to support illegals. And then they have the stupidity and audacity to call this morally just. I just don't understand their thinking.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

37,488 posts, read 16,588,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
oberon_1 is just repeating what he hears on liberal media. They ignore that we have sick and elderly who paid into the system all their lives but their applications for help get rejected while we are supposed to support illegals. And then they have the stupidity and audacity to call this morally just. I just don't understand their thinking.
Believe me I have tried to understand as I have some liberal relatives I have had political discussions with. There is no common sense, logic or reasoning with them. They are ruled by emotions instead of their brains.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

1,468 posts, read 322,273 times
If you are going to take more than you put into the system then stay the hell out.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

9,651 posts, read 7,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here's the thing.

Green card applicants have to provide financial information. This is not new rules.

But the reality is -- that once these folks are given status -- many of them work those low paying jobs that make them qualify for federal assistance.

Any discussion on why the USA thinks it is okay to have so many jobs that make folks qualify for free breakfast and lunches, and health care for their kids.
sure, if you have some data to consider and discuss.

Beyond that, it would be insane to allow a family unit into the country where their wages cannot support their family unit without government assistance.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

9,595 posts, read 4,912,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No -- it is obvious all those -- this is the third thread -- boasting like Trump is controlling welfare payments to illegals -- suggests some of your kind don't have a freak'n clue.

Even the head guy said in the press conference...THIS IS NOT A NEW RULE.

You've been played people.
It IS A NEW RULE.

When the head guy said this new rule 'puts meat on the bones' of the old law, the meat is all new and tougher. If the substance of this rule isn't new, how do you explain the immediate opposition and threats of lawsuits to stop implementation.

Last edited by jazzarama; Yesterday at 09:39 PM..

Old Today, 05:52 AM

1,286 posts, read 201,740 times
Immigrants are not supposed to be using public-tested benefits until they become US citizens or work certain hours whichever comes first. This has always been the law but rarely enforce. They are required to sign a contract call "Affidavit of Support" or Form I-864 as part of their application package when they apply for their visa

Old Today, 06:26 AM

9,595 posts, read 4,912,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Immigrants are not supposed to be using public-tested benefits until they become US citizens or work certain hours whichever comes first. This has always been the law but rarely enforce. They are required to sign a contract call "Affidavit of Support" or Form I-864 as part of their application package when they apply for their visa
The Trump rule goes far beyond enforcement of the existing rule.

The new rule greatly expands the number of programs covered under the 'public charge' test --- Medicaid, SNAP, and public housing among them.

Pro-immigration are already planning lawsuits to stop the rule and the House has a bill to stop funding for the new rule. You don't see this kind of hysterical reaction if the rule was simply better enforcement of what's already the law.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 4,214,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Agreed. My grandmothers family survived the dust bowl in this era. No welfare no handouts. They worked and farmed what they could and traded their excess of one crop for other things they needed.

I personally hope it will stick, at least they can make it harder like when people are on unemployment and show they are actively searching for work if not employed.
And you know this how?

I would have said the same thing about my Italian coal miner and warehouse/factory/officebuilding working relatives in Philly. Hard working....many went into the Services.

It was only a decade ago that I found out they would have all been kicked out of their houses if not for FDR and his refinancing programs (mortgages).....

If you honestly have every record of each of your relatives....well, you have more than 99% of us. It's as if you have it on videotape and know they never got free help from the Ag Extension or Government Cheese for a meal .

Old Today, 06:51 AM

27,868 posts, read 17,814,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Most need a little help to get started. Be careful what you wish for. It must be in water but America tends to destroy bodies and minds, environment is that toxic. Without continious supply of eager unsuspecting immigrants of all kinds this country is a toast.
If you actually are twisted enough to believe that-why don't you....leave? Oh yeah-other countries actually enforce their immigration laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or