Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
Jimmy Carter meeting with HAMAS, a terrorist group - is this a preview of the Obama foreign policy?!

We all know Carter is endorsing Obama. We also know Carter is the new Jimmy Carter, a disaster no one knows anything about and yet people flock to his Communist/Marxist ideology.

Obama claims he wants to meet and have cookies and tea with Iranian terror groups, Hugo Chavez, and every evil dictator in the planet. We also know Obama doesn't want the Iranian Guard, a group funding and arming Iraqi terrorist groups, to be listed as terrorist organization! Obama is clearly a Carter in foreign policy. And if you look at your history books, the Carter years were a disaster, not just economically, but also in foreign policy matters.

This is getting serious. Carter is meeting with a terrorist group directly. Hamas!! Check them out here, if you never heard of this radical terror organization... these guys are serious. Hamas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama is the new Jimmy Carter, in every way and in every policy. There is little doubt there. So this is reason for concern... at least for me.

Is meeting with a terror organization that has murdered and claimed responsibility for thousands of suicide bombings, assasinations, repression of free speech, brain washing of children, anti-Semetic hate people no different than the KKK, an organization with blood on their hands.... a good idea?

Is this a preview of the Obama foreign policy??

Is this a good idea or bad idea? How so?

Here is the article on Carter meeting with the Hamas Terrorist Organization:

FOXNews.com - State Department: Carter Meeting With Terrorists Not 'in the Interest of Peace' - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
I was this week at the Holocaust museum and I saw a quote of Jimmy Carter in the wall.....what a difference in what he said back than and the way he is acting these days!!! Jimmy Carter is to me an anti semitic person and should never had the peace price. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
I'm okay with a foreign policy that talks to our "enemies". It's better than digging a hole in the sand and throwing money and troops in after we've buried our heads. If we don't talk to people, how can we have diplomatic resolutions to conflicts?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,878 times
Hamas has committed terrorist acts in the past and they do have military weapons at their disposal. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking they are a peaceful political- humanitarian group.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Hamas has committed terrorist acts in the past and they do have military weapons at their disposal. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking they are a peaceful political- humanitarian group.
That may be true, but the very same thing can be said about Christians, Jews, Muslims, and others. All I'm trying to say here is that just because a few people of a group advocate and perform violent acts for their cause, doesn't mean that the entire group is without substance. They were elected after all. Are we going to run around promoting "Democracy" while rejecting those elections we disagree with?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Hamas is less of a terrorist threat than NeoCons, Conservatives, and Republicans in this country. So I would say that ANY foreign policy that the great Obama implements would be a vast improvement over the pathetic one orchestrated by Bush and his band of Dimwits.
It would be helpful if you gave us your definition of "terroist." My definition is someone who will employ methods that terrorize innocent people as a way of achieving some goal, usually political. By my definition conservatives and Republicans are not terrorists. And don't give me that garbage about the thousands of innocent people killed in Iraq. Some of those have surely been the victims of U.S. military action. But that is the nature of war. The important thing with regard to your post is that it is not American policy to target innocent civilians. In point of fact, the vast majority of civilian casualties in Iraq were the result of Al Qaeda IED's, targeted assasinations and sectarian fighting between Shia and Sunni.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,593 times
Jimmy Carter has lost his mind.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Keep in mind that Hamas at one time had three separate divisions. The political wing, the militant wing, and a lesser religious wing that was later folded into the militants. It isn't entirely a single homogeneous entity.

Whether we like it or not, Hamas is a democratically elected government. We can either refuse to negotiate with or recognize them as a government, but this also delegitimizes the US position of "spreading democracy in the region". After all how can we tout the notion of bringing democracy if we refuse to recognize those we don't agree with, even if they are less than desirable.

I have mentioned before that there is a bitter irony here in the fact that at one point Israel openly supported Hamas when it was a small and less-offensive organization. They did so as a means to diminish the power of the then powerful PLO under Yasser Arafat which was at the time deemed the most potent threat. I think the CIA refers to this as, "blow back".

Also, at some point, you must meet even your worst enemy at the table and draw a peace. The only other two options are complete and utter inhalation of your enemy in a biblical fashion of Joshuah or assimilating them into your culture or nation. Neither of these is likely to happen in the next 10 generations so that leaves one option, the first.

Now we can slam Jimmy Carter for a good number of things as he certainly wasn't the greatest of leaders, but anyone is who is a student of this regions history will tell you that Carter came closer than anyone to brokering a peace between the Palestinians and the Israeli's. In my opinion, Jimmy Carter's biggest problem is that he is an intelligent and sophisticated thinker as well as a humanitarian who has had to bear witness to the blunt and crude methods and foreign policy maneuvers of Clinton and Lil Bush, and subsequently this seems to have made him frustrated and angry. As is the majority of American's today with our foreign policy.
Hitler was democratically elected, as well.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
It's people like you who don't have knowledge of what is really going on in this world. You take what is force fed to you by the media and run with it. I'd expect this type of thinking from people in the 80's when the internet was slim to none and everyone had out-dated encyclopedias. Get with the times and educate yourself before spouting garbage like this.

I couldn't put it any better than this.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Nothing wrong with talking to the enemy. Jimmy Carter is the wrong choice. He like many ultra left wingers like to blame the USA for everything and then capitulate. Lets not forget how he sold us out to the USSR on the salt 2 treaties. Gave away anything that wasn't nailed down. Ever wonder why Japan gets such a large share of the oil from the Alaskan pipeline? Ask Carter he made the deal.
Yes we need to talk to our enemies seek a common ground and perhaps avoid conflict. Capitulation is seen as weakness by most Terrorists. The one thing Carter actually excels at is capitulation.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Nothing wrong with talking to the enemy. Jimmy Carter is the wrong choice. He like many ultra left wingers like to blame the USA for everything and then capitulate. Lets not forget how he sold us out to the USSR on the salt 2 treaties. Gave away anything that wasn't nailed down. Ever wonder why Japan gets such a large share of the oil from the Alaskan pipeline? Ask Carter he made the deal.
Yes we need to talk to our enemies seek a common ground and perhaps avoid conflict. Capitulation is seen as weakness by most Terrorists. The one thing Carter actually excels at is capitulation.

Our enemies have stated publicly that they want the entire world to be Muslim and all non-muslims must die. Yep, I bet sitting down and having a nice cup of tea with these people will be quite productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies