U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

1,111 posts, read 239,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Human caused warming is different than natural warming because of the time scales involved. Inter-glacial periods in the ice ages had warming periods that occurred over thousands of years. We are warming at a rate about 10x faster. Evolution cannot work fast enough to let species evolve on those time scales. And for humans it will likely be very disruptive also. People get desperate when their food and water disappears which will lead to massive migration and conflict. If all we had to worry about were the natural climate trends it would be far easier. Read Jerrod Diamond's work on the collapse of civilizations due to ecological problems caused by the people. It has happened several times, just on a smaller scale.

Exactly. Humans have adapted to climate change before, albeit with difficulty; just look up the little ice age. Where it gets to be a problem is the rapidity of the change. When too many things change at once, we have trouble coping. The climate change is happening on top of all the other issues humans have introduced, and the combined problems can become overwhelming even given our modern technological acuity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,035,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Exactly. Humans have adapted to climate change before, albeit with difficulty; just look up the little ice age. Where it gets to be a problem is the rapidity of the change. When too many things change at once, we have trouble coping. The climate change is happening on top of all the other issues humans have introduced, and the combined problems can become overwhelming even given our modern technological acuity.
In short, things are piling up and we’ve avoided it like an unpaid bill, and the repo man is knocking and he doesn’t want your money..

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

3,188 posts, read 918,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
That figure is for Fort Yukon, ///, but I suppose if you want to play that game
What game?....was it 10 degrees hotter 104 years ago or not?....Was Fort Yukon 100 degrees again or not?...Was Fort Yukon a 100 degrees when the Anchorage Airport thermometer...surrounded by acres of black asphalt...was 90 degrees or not?

It's just an inconvenient fact...deal with it...the record high temperature for Alaska was 100 degrees..104 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yep....the record high temperature for Alaska was 100 degrees....June 27.... 1915

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

1,154 posts, read 975,437 times
Quote:
What game?....was it 10 degrees hotter 104 years ago or not?....Was Fort Yukon 100 degrees again or not?...Was Fort Yukon a 100 degrees when the Anchorage Airport thermometer...surrounded by acres of black asphalt...was 90 degrees or not?

It's just an inconvenient fact...deal with it...the record high temperature for Alaska was 100 degrees..104 years ago
From what I can tell, yes, it was 100° in Fort Yukon on one day in July 1915.

Did you read the July report I posted? Did you even look at it? Does it matter? Meh, I'd say no. Your opinion on the matter is meaningless. Hell, so is mine for the most part, though being informed is helpful in electing people who will take the issue seriously and enact legislation to deal with the problem.

I'd be curious to know how old you are and whether you have relatives who are much younger, say, born within the past decade or so.

I will be 35 this year. By 2050 I will be in my mid-60s, and likely dead before 2100. I currently have two nieces: one will be 10 this year and the other one is two. A third niece is expected to be born any day now. Many of my friends have young children too. I bring this up because many of these children who are alive today will still be alive in 2100. Children being born now will be entering their 80s in 2100, and their children and grandchildren will easily live to 2150 and 2200.

Now think that President Tyler, who was born in 1790 and president from 1841-1845, 16 years before the Civil War, still has 2 living grandchildren. Not great grandchildren, just grandchildren.

These timescales are not long. Can you understand why the type of change, amount of change, and speed of change in what has been a relatively stable climate for thousands of years is so alarming to scientists?

So yes, the game you play is called semantics, and it's designed to obfuscate bigger picture issues by getting hung up on irrelevant details and technicalities that are easily resolved but take time and effort away from the main goal, which is to stop anthropogenic climate change from ruining everything people have worked so hard for, have been enslaved for, have died for.

So when I see Siberia and Alaskan tundra on fire, when I see permafrost melting and historically oppressed Native peoples (Americans, mind you) forced out of ancestral homelands because the sea ice is gone, or the ground beneath their feet is swallowed by the sea, when I see the Greenland ice sheet crumbling into the sea, when I see glacier after glacier retreating up mountains or draining into the ocean, when I see cities in the richest state in the richest country in the history of human civilization burning to the ground year after year, you'll see why I don't want to play your stupid games or engage in ridiculous arguments with a person who is convinced that it's all a lie.

Pull your head out of your ass and pay attention.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

24,573 posts, read 12,132,906 times
Quote:
From what I can tell, yes, it was 100° in Fort Yukon on one day in July 1915.

Did you read the July report I posted? Did you even look at it? Does it matter? Meh, I'd say no. Your opinion on the matter is meaningless. Hell, so is mine for the most part, though being informed is helpful in electing people who will take the issue seriously and enact legislation to deal with the problem.

I'd be curious to know how old you are and whether you have relatives who are much younger, say, born within the past decade or so.

I will be 35 this year. By 2050 I will be in my mid-60s, and likely dead before 2100. I currently have two nieces: one will be 10 this year and the other one is two. A third niece is expected to be born any day now. Many of my friends have young children too. I bring this up because many of these children who are alive today will still be alive in 2100. Children being born now will be entering their 80s in 2100, and their children and grandchildren will easily live to 2150 and 2200.

Now think that President Tyler, who was born in 1790 and president from 1841-1845, 16 years before the Civil War, still has 2 living grandchildren. Not great grandchildren, just grandchildren.

These timescales are not long. Can you understand why the type of change, amount of change, and speed of change in what has been a relatively stable climate for thousands of years is so alarming to scientists?

So yes, the game you play is called semantics, and it's designed to obfuscate bigger picture issues by getting hung up on irrelevant details and technicalities that are easily resolved but take time and effort away from the main goal, which is to stop anthropogenic climate change from ruining everything people have worked so hard for, have been enslaved for, have died for.

So when I see Siberia and Alaskan tundra on fire, when I see permafrost melting and historically oppressed Native peoples (Americans, mind you) forced out of ancestral homelands because the sea ice is gone, or the ground beneath their feet is swallowed by the sea, when I see the Greenland ice sheet crumbling into the sea, when I see glacier after glacier retreating up mountains or draining into the ocean, when I see cities in the richest state in the richest country in the history of human civilization burning to the ground year after year, you'll see why I don't want to play your stupid games or engage in ridiculous arguments with a person who is convinced that it's all a lie.

Nice diatribe. This what happens when coming out of an ice age. Relax, stop getting lathered up over something you can’t change.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

3,188 posts, read 918,030 times
Quote:
I don't want to play your stupid games or engage in ridiculous arguments with a person who is convinced that it's all a lie.

....the Anchorage airport...where the thermometer is dead center...was not even built until 1951

No one knows what the temperature was at the Anchorage airport 104 years ago...it didn't exist

Quote:
yep....the record high temperature for Alaska was 100 degrees....June 27.... 1915
You don't know what I think about global warming....I have never posted it...it's just your projection your problem...

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

30,974 posts, read 31,913,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Conjecture and theory proves nothing.
You didn't read it.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

30,974 posts, read 31,913,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The simple proof of man-made global warming.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4549
Thank you for posting that...It is the best and easiest to understand explanation I've seen of what is occurring and how it is measured.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,670,809 times
To get back to the title of this thread.... There is abundant proof that the earth is warming at an alarming rate and that man is the cause of a good part of that. That is not the issue any more. The issue now is what will happen in the future and that is very hard to know with any certainty. The sea will rise but will it rise 1' or 10' or 100' by 2100? I don't know and anyone who claims to know for certain is full of it. But to me, the safe bet is to not find out how much it will rise and do whatever we can to prevent that. We are going to run out of fossil fuels some day anyway, so just slow down our use of them now.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

30,623 posts, read 20,236,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You didn't read it.
Well, there's five minutes I'll never get back.

If I light a burner on my stove, the heat will gradually warm my kitchen, and to a lesser degree, the surrounding areas of my home.

If I add insulation to my attic and the walls in my home, this warming effect will be increased and the temperature in my home will rise.

If I open all the windows and crank up my central air, it doesn't really matter that the burner is creating heat or that the ****ing walls are extremely well insulated!

The fact that the historical record proves CO2 levels and surface temperature change independently of each other should have been your first clue.

You can't have a cause and effect relationship that works some of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or