U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 PM

30,630 posts, read 20,240,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
To get back to the title of this thread.... There is abundant proof that the earth is warming at an alarming rate and that man is the cause of a good part of that. That is not the issue any more. The issue now is what will happen in the future and that is very hard to know with any certainty. The sea will rise but will it rise 1' or 10' or 100' by 2100? I don't know and anyone who claims to know for certain is full of it. But to me, the safe bet is to not find out how much it will rise and do whatever we can to prevent that. We are going to run out of fossil fuels some day anyway, so just slow down our use of them now.

Warming?

When did it start warming, and how can we know for sure that it really is warming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:04 PM

12,462 posts, read 12,652,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Exactly. Humans have adapted to climate change before, albeit with difficulty; just look up the little ice age. Where it gets to be a problem is the rapidity of the change. When too many things change at once, we have trouble coping. The climate change is happening on top of all the other issues humans have introduced, and the combined problems can become overwhelming even given our modern technological acuity.
We'll adapt. A few famines, a mini nuclear exchange, the death of 5 billion people, and things will settle right down again.

Most people here won't live to see it, so who cares?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM

30,983 posts, read 31,917,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Warming?

When did it start warming, and how can we know for sure that it really is warming?
What melts ice? Is this enough proof for you?

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Old 08-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
We'll adapt. A few famines, a mini nuclear exchange, the death of 5 billion people, and things will settle right down again.

Most people here won't live to see it, so who cares?
You are correct most people won't be alive to see it, I know I won't (just celebrated 79 years on this earth), but my grand kids and great grand kids will have to learn to cope with it

Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 PM

I'm beginning to believe that most climate change denying posters in this thread are nothing but trolls.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM

24,585 posts, read 12,138,020 times
My daughter is tough. She will survive. Assuming the worst.

Been assuming the worst for ten years. And? Nothing.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM

4,161 posts, read 6,453,906 times
In the 1950's the most powerful computer was the Univac housed at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. It was mainly made up of diode tubes that were about three foot high and a foot wide. It could do simple math and play Christmas carols. The smartphone you carry everyday could not even be imagined at that time. Developers did not stick their heads in the sand, thankfully, and moved ahead to give us the technology we have today. If Trump were in charge then we would still be adding with our fingers and toes.

The same principal applies to alternative energy sources. The only real resistance is those with money in fossil fuels and the morons who insist on driving a 500hp diesel, 4 x 4, to go grocery shopping.

Would you trade your smartphone for the original cell phone. I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCwvE6ZB5o

Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My daughter is tough. She will survive. Assuming the worst.

Been assuming the worst for ten years. And? Nothing.
Ten years? You really have no clue re-time lines do you? 2100 is bit farther away than ten years.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM

17,958 posts, read 19,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How do we know that recent CO2 increases are due to human activities? RealClimate

It's pretty well documented how much fossil fuels we burn. And the laws of chemistry are irrefutable - burning them makes CO2. There is also irrefutable proof that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
Irrefutable.... Lol... When predictions fails, just make predictions beyond the life of anyone remembering it... Global warming used to make predictions in your lifetime and then when it was wrong over and over, their predictions are now beyond your lifetime...

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM

1,516 posts, read 359,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
In the 1950's the most powerful computer was the Univac housed at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. It was mainly made up of diode tubes that were about three foot high and a foot wide. It could do simple math and play Christmas carols. The smartphone you carry everyday could not even be imagined at that time. Developers did not stick their heads in the sand, thankfully, and moved ahead to give us the technology we have today. If Trump were in charge then we would still be adding with our fingers and toes.

The same principal applies to alternative energy sources. The only real resistance is those with money in fossil fuels and the morons who insist on driving a 500hp diesel, 4 x 4, to go grocery shopping.

Would you trade your smartphone for the original cell phone. I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCwvE6ZB5o
Yeah, but GIGO Forever; AI included!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or