U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,972 posts, read 31,908,317 times
Reputation: 12684

Advertisements

Recovering from glaciation global temperatures rose between 4 and 7 degrees Celcius in a period of roughly 5,000 years. Average temperature has increased 0.8 C since 1880, about ten times faster that the average rate of warming post glaciation. Two thirds of that increase came since 1975.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
 
380 posts, read 85,114 times
Reputation: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I posted several graphs...all showing exactly the same thing...even from Wiki

...are the graphs right or not?

Different units is a strawman and has no bearing at all....was more CO2 put into the air exponentially...absolutely it was...and all the different "units" you call them...show the same thing

...You absolutely will not admit the graphs I posted are correct and accurate

even Wiki says I'm right > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ederations.png


..yeah, I know Wiki....but anyway
What I gather from that page is that a change in US CO2 emissions would be nice, but is only a small fraction of worldwide use...and that the Canadians generate more CO2 per capita than the US.

You do have to wonder what will happen when the population explosion really hits in Africa and they either all move to Europe on Zodiac boats or industrialize a bit locally. Now *there's* a scary chart for you.

My take on the matter is that humans do effect the climate to some extent, the models to predict the future are crummy, and that people try to use the threat of Global Warming/Cooling/whatever to shove in a whole laundry list of things they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:15 AM
Status: "She was warned yet STILL she persisted" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,808 posts, read 4,425,817 times
Reputation: 10544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
After nearly 50 years of caterwauling and insisting man's activities cause climate change, still NO PROOF?


All I can find are statements like, "man puts out carbon and greenhouse gases, those things can change climate, therefore man is changing the climate."

Sort of like saying, "Jim left his lawn sprinklers running five minutes longer than he should have, water can flood cities, therefore Jim is flooding cities."

And papers that relate statements like the above, using many erudite pages, but which ultimately refer to another paper for proof. And sure enough, that other paper carries on for more pages, but refers to yet another. And that one points to yet another etc.

Are there any actual studies that methodically prove that man is generating enough to overwhelm the earth's natural tendencies to absorb them? And do more to change the climate than the sun (a nuclear bomb a million times the size of the entire planet), all the volcanoes on Earth, and everything else that has been varying the Earth's climate long before man learned how to use tools?

Not just guesses, not just "everybody knows that...", not just references, not just "but it must be true that...".

Where is any proof that man's activities have any effect on climate? And/or can do anything to change it back?

When the manmade-climate-change can spend 50 years insisting that government must take huge taxes from us, and spend it on trying to change the climate... but are unable to come up with any proof it can actually change it...

Isn't that a pretty good indication that there can be no proof, because man's activities actually have nothing to do with the climate change we're seeing?
When it comes to the climate crisis, you (and your fellow republicans) have a mind like a steel trap - it sprung closed decades ago and now is so firmly rusted shut that it will never be open again. As it now stands, deniers have won the argument - not because you're right, but because it is almost too late - may very well already be too late - to do anything about it. Too many tipping points have been passed and the IPCC is being wildly optimistic when they say we still have 12 more years to do something before the earth, the climate, and almost all the species of plants and animals now living (including Homo sapiens) suffer irreparable harm. We never would have reached this point without your determined attack on science and your refusal to get out of your recliners and take a look around.

In addition, YOUR president* calls the climate crisis a "hoax" and withdrew the US from the Paris accords, so why are you so worried? Plus, the EPA no longer regulates our air and water quality; public lands have been opened up to drilling and fracking; any government scientist who dares say the words "climate change" will have his career destroyed by Big Brother and the endangered species act will be gone with the wind only 30 days from now. As usual nature bats last and we owe it all to the unfailing hatred of the republican party for the planet we all must depend on.

So, I guess you posted this thread in order to gloat. Maybe republicans can all buy fiddles to play as the planet burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,621 posts, read 20,232,875 times
Reputation: 8456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How do we know that recent CO2 increases are due to human activities? RealClimate


It's pretty well documented how much fossil fuels we burn. And the laws of chemistry are irrefutable - burning them makes CO2. There is also irrefutable proof that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

And?


I see Roboteer got nowhere, so let's try something else...


I say there is no accurate temperature record predating the satellite era.

Our ability to measure surface temperature using satellites came about as a decades-long cooling trend was coming to an end.

We can't really measure the surface temperature in any meaningful way because we have never accurately measured and controlled for cloud cover.



PROVE ME WRONG!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:09 AM
 
19,666 posts, read 12,400,539 times
Reputation: 10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
When it comes to the climate crisis, you (and your fellow republicans) have a mind like a steel trap - it sprung closed decades ago and now is so firmly rusted shut that it will never be open again. As it now stands, deniers have won the argument - not because you're right, but because it is almost too late - may very well already be too late - to do anything about it. Too many tipping points have been passed and the IPCC is being wildly optimistic when they say we still have 12 more years to do something before the earth, the climate, and almost all the species of plants and animals now living (including Homo sapiens) suffer irreparable harm. We never would have reached this point without your determined attack on science and your refusal to get out of your recliners and take a look around.

In addition, YOUR president* calls the climate crisis a "hoax" and withdrew the US from the Paris accords, so why are you so worried? Plus, the EPA no longer regulates our air and water quality; public lands have been opened up to drilling and fracking; any government scientist who dares say the words "climate change" will have his career destroyed by Big Brother and the endangered species act will be gone with the wind only 30 days from now. As usual nature bats last and we owe it all to the unfailing hatred of the republican party for the planet we all must depend on.

So, I guess you posted this thread in order to gloat. Maybe republicans can all buy fiddles to play as the planet burns.


What a crock.


The EPA still regulates air and water quality- too aggressively.


"Scientists" who support AGW are showered with grants, while those who oppose AGW and support rational science are vilified. It is an academic witch hunt.


Unless you personally have given up electricity, home heat and AC, as well as you car, you are a liberal hypocrite (like all libs). And all the liberal protesting and energy spent over CO2 means nothing, as China and India do not care about your crazy lib ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,972 posts, read 31,908,317 times
Reputation: 12684
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And?


I see Roboteer got nowhere, so let's try something else...


I say there is no accurate temperature record predating the satellite era.

Our ability to measure surface temperature using satellites came about as a decades-long cooling trend was coming to an end.

We can't really measure the surface temperature in any meaningful way because we have never accurately measured and controlled for cloud cover.



PROVE ME WRONG!!!
You are wrong...

Researchers have improved the uncertain temperature measurements conducted by NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) to incredible precision. Temperature (GISTEMP) measurements’ uncertainty has shrunk to just 0.05C (0.09F) for data collected in recent decades and to 0.15C (0.27F) for measurements taken 140 years ago, when the records began.

https://www.iflscience.com/environme...gering-degree/

July 2019 officially hottest month ever measured on Earth.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...sured-on-earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:38 AM
Status: "JESUS CHRIST IS LORD" (set 14 days ago)
 
5,463 posts, read 1,113,651 times
Reputation: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
After nearly 50 years of caterwauling and insisting man's activities cause climate change, still NO PROOF?


All I can find are statements like, "man puts out carbon and greenhouse gases, those things can change climate, therefore man is changing the climate."

Sort of like saying, "Jim left his lawn sprinklers running five minutes longer than he should have, water can flood cities, therefore Jim is flooding cities."

And papers that relate statements like the above, using many erudite pages, but which ultimately refer to another paper for proof. And sure enough, that other paper carries on for more pages, but refers to yet another. And that one points to yet another etc.

Are there any actual studies that methodically prove that man is generating enough to overwhelm the earth's natural tendencies to absorb them? And do more to change the climate than the sun (a nuclear bomb a million times the size of the entire planet), all the volcanoes on Earth, and everything else that has been varying the Earth's climate long before man learned how to use tools?

Not just guesses, not just "everybody knows that...", not just references, not just "but it must be true that...".

Where is any proof that man's activities have any effect on climate? And/or can do anything to change it back?

When the manmade-climate-change can spend 50 years insisting that government must take huge taxes from us, and spend it on trying to change the climate... but are unable to come up with any proof it can actually change it...

Isn't that a pretty good indication that there can be no proof, because man's activities actually have nothing to do with the climate change we're seeing?
"Catawauling"----------Love it!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1IrRxoRkbQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:56 AM
Status: "Watching Matthew 24 unfold..." (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Avery Co., NC
977 posts, read 847,459 times
Reputation: 633
Global warming...Lol... a VERY profitable business! Example, one of the biggest mouthpieces for this con/scam is Al Gore... and radical environmentalism/GW have made him very wealthy..in the bank of England alone he has 3 Billion $$$. However is direct conflict with his love for "mother Earth" he flies constantly in fancey jets, or wanders around in limos and uses more electricity powering his property in TN in a day than most of us use in a month. Check out the salaries and benefits of the CEO's of top 20 enviro groups, see which top enviro group is worlds 10th largest real estate developer/sales profiteer. See which banks, oil companies and energy corps. fund the enviro groups. Its about power-profit-control...environmentalism is a watermelon - green on outside and red inside...they love the Communist Manifesto especially the plank about private property rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,972 posts, read 31,908,317 times
Reputation: 12684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Global warming...Lol... a VERY profitable business! Example, one of the biggest mouthpieces for this con/scam is Al Gore... and radical environmentalism/GW have made him very wealthy..in the bank of England alone he has 3 Billion $$$. However is direct conflict with his love for "mother Earth" he flies constantly in fancey jets, or wanders around in limos and uses more electricity powering his property in TN in a day than most of us use in a month. Check out the salaries and benefits of the CEO's of top 20 enviro groups, see which top enviro group is worlds 10th largest real estate developer/sales profiteer. See which banks, oil companies and energy corps. fund the enviro groups. Its about power-profit-control...environmentalism is a watermelon - green on outside and red inside...they love the Communist Manifesto especially the plank about private property rights.
Do some research on how Gore got wealthy....Hint, it wasn't global warming.....Too funny how you call flat out capitalists communists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:10 AM
 
24,573 posts, read 12,125,766 times
Reputation: 10463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
When it comes to the climate crisis, you (and your fellow republicans) have a mind like a steel trap - it sprung closed decades ago and now is so firmly rusted shut that it will never be open again. As it now stands, deniers have won the argument - not because you're right, but because it is almost too late - may very well already be too late - to do anything about it. Too many tipping points have been passed and the IPCC is being wildly optimistic when they say we still have 12 more years to do something before the earth, the climate, and almost all the species of plants and animals now living (including Homo sapiens) suffer irreparable harm. We never would have reached this point without your determined attack on science and your refusal to get out of your recliners and take a look around.

In addition, YOUR president* calls the climate crisis a "hoax" and withdrew the US from the Paris accords, so why are you so worried? Plus, the EPA no longer regulates our air and water quality; public lands have been opened up to drilling and fracking; any government scientist who dares say the words "climate change" will have his career destroyed by Big Brother and the endangered species act will be gone with the wind only 30 days from now. As usual nature bats last and we owe it all to the unfailing hatred of the republican party for the planet we all must depend on.

So, I guess you posted this thread in order to gloat. Maybe republicans can all buy fiddles to play as the planet burns.
The planet is burning? Where are the flames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top