U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 15 hours ago)

7,540 posts, read 4,530,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The common thread among many of the shooters is family or spousal abuse. Is that a mental health issue or are they just mean as hell?
Give me a sec. I am looking up mean as hell, anger and hate in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

355 posts, read 85,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Read up on the actual "deinstitutionalization" process. Hint-it started long before Reagan and was initiated by those compassionate soles concerned that institutions were "cruel".
You beat me to it.

The thing is, you can tell people about this history of that sort of thing, grind through numerous sources, and two days later they'll tell yet another person about how REAGAN PUT ALL THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE ON THE STREET.

It's funny how there are memes that are so much stronger than reality.

Given how hard it is to identify murderers ahead of time it really boils down to:

. No one can have a gun since some people shouldn't have a gun
or
. We have to put up with a certain amount of risk in exchange for certain kinds of freedom

Choose yer poison.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

9,965 posts, read 4,695,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Give me a sec. I am looking up mean as hell, anger and hate in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
I believe the clinical term is "nuckin futz".

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I believe the clinical term is "nuckin futz".
I'm going to have to say no and that your kind of attitude does nothing but to stigmatize those of us with mental illness.

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

6,513 posts, read 3,639,018 times
My daughter tried to slit her wrists when she was 21. She had lot of problems throughout HS and saw a lot of counselors. Back in those days not much was known about BiPiolar.

Before she did, she had a moment of clarity. What am I doing? She checked herself into a hospital where they diagnosed BioPolar. She was put on medication and saw a professional.

Since my kids were children, I demanded my husband lock up his guns. My daughter has told me that if she had access to his guns she might have shot herself. Pulling the trigger of gun to your head is faster than taking a knife and slitting your wrists.

Now here is the problem with guns and mental illness. There is no universal standard. One state rules one way and another state another way. My daughter cannot own a gun in NYS because she was diagnosed with a mental illness. HOWEVER, in Florida she can because she was never was adjudicated against her will with a mental illness. She voluntarily submitted to treatment.

Can you see the problem with mental illness and guns? There is no national standard.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

30,007 posts, read 15,663,200 times
Why should dangerously mentally ill people own cars, vote or even go into restaurants?

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

30,007 posts, read 15,663,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm going to have to say no and that your kind of attitude does nothing but to stigmatize those of us with mental illness.
Anyone so mentally ill that they murder others should be stigmatized.

According to the left, that's the vast majority of people with any mental disorder.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

33,524 posts, read 14,133,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gotta love an OP that says "Lets put the party squabbling aside for the moment"-and then starts a thread with a lie, demonizing one party.

Cute.

Read up on the actual "deinstitutionalization" process. Hint-it started long before Reagan and was initiated by those compassionate soles concerned that institutions were "cruel".

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org...uences/2013-10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalisation

Wrong

Quote:
The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA) is the statute that repealed President Carter’s Mental Health Systems Act which was supposed to continue federal funding for mental health programs. Reagan gave the appearance of making a consequentialist ethical decision because he presented his repeal of OBRA as an action that would best serve American society and do more good than harm as a result. The OBRA gave mental patients a choice to seek treatment outside of a mental institution, an option to seek treatment at clinics at the state level, and the freedom to administer their own medication (PSY533, 2017) (Pan, 2013). However, Reagan was hasty in taking unsound advice to repeal OBRA because his real motive was to cut the federal budget (Roberts, 2013). He was a leader who “never exhibited any interest in the need for research or better treatment for serious mental illness” (Torrey, 2017).

https://sites.psu.edu/psy533wheeler/...omment-page-1/

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

355 posts, read 85,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why should dangerously mentally ill people own cars, vote or even go into restaurants?
Hah. That's an interesting point.

I'd like to hear someone explain how the rules should work in some consistent manner.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well, there are folks on this very board suggesting the mentally ill be locked away in asylums." The act of voting or going into a restaurant does not, in itself, put anyone at harm. I'm not your question is sincere, therefore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or