U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 272,137 times

Advertisements

The perception that mental illness is a serious danger to society is incorrect. 5% of adults experience some type of mental illness during a given year. The vast majority of those are harmless individuals. Are you going to check every one of those? You need to winnow down the list to those who pose an actual risk. About the best we can do now is check for a history of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 PM

198 posts, read 163,124 times
Default the mentally ill are, for the most part, responsible

for the mass killing in the states, NOT firearms. firearms do NOT fire themselves, it requires a person
or even an animal to touch the trigger.

I noted recently of two murders committed in N.J. with a knife. damn little follow up by the left media.
Now why did the killer use a knife ???? because he had NO gun. But, did that stop him, NO.

When a person sets out to kill, they will use whatever is handy. A knife, axe, hammer, car, etc, etc,etc.....

My point is just about any item is an ASSAULT weapon. If you don't believe it, ASK A COP........

Old 08-24-2019, 09:38 PM

36,259 posts, read 10,766,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gotta love an OP that says "Lets put the party squabbling aside for the moment"-and then starts a thread with a lie, demonizing one party.

Cute.

Read up on the actual "deinstitutionalization" process. Hint-it started long before Reagan and was initiated by those compassionate soles concerned that institutions were "cruel".

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org...uences/2013-10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalisation

Bingo!

Old 08-24-2019, 09:52 PM

27,651 posts, read 16,001,337 times
Quote:
If you are too dangerous to own a firearm-you are too dangerous to be unsupervised. Firearms are only one of an infinite number of ways to kill innocent people. Keeping just firearms from those people is moronic-if they are that much of a threat to others, they need to be institutionalized, not just have their 2nd amendment rights stripped away.
I hear this a lot. I also hear these a lot too...
Why don't we ban knives? Why don't we ban vans? Why don't we ban baseball bats? Why don't we ban hammers? Why don't we ban scissors? Why don't we ban car keys? The problem is stats. Yes there are a lot of knife attacks, but you don't see many mass stabbings, especially in America. We're not talking about Britain which is used as the poster child, we are talking the US. The mass shootings we saw at the beginning of the month had about 10+ dead, 30 or so injured in each. I have never seen one man do the same damage in a mass stabbing. As for scissors stabbing, I've only really known of Sid Justice/Vicious doing that to Arn Anderson in 1993... Arn is still alive today and wrestled for another three years before retiring due to an unrelated neck injury. I have only heard of several mass vehicular attacks in America, none by actual terrorists. Most of the time we actually don't even hear why they did it.

I also hear the below a lot too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
for the mass killing in the states, NOT firearms. firearms do NOT fire themselves, it requires a person

I noted recently of two murders committed in N.J. with a knife. damn little follow up by the left media.
Now why did the killer use a knife ???? because he had NO gun. But, did that stop him, NO.

When a person sets out to kill, they will use whatever is handy. A knife, axe, hammer, car, etc, etc,etc.....

My point is just about any item is an ASSAULT weapon. If you don't believe it, ASK A COP........
Guns don't kill people. OK, if that is the case then why in the case of the more recent mass shootings (talk about Vegas, Parkland, the temple, El Paso and Dayton) do we find often find 30 round banana clips and bump stocks allowing to spray bullets and have higher body counts? I get it, a person may choose what would kill more if they wanted to go on a rampage, but an axe is heavy and don't kill as fast as guns. Knives don't even. A car could but unless it is a crowded street, the people would likely see and hear it at some point...

Quote:
Well-actually it's not. You can get a knife out of the kitchen quicker than you can get a gun, load it, rack the slide and pull the trigger. I hope you also insisted that all the kitchen knives, car keys, gasoline, matches and medicine was also locked up to prevent her access. Honestly-if someone is that "nuts" that they are a danger to themselves or others-they should be in an institution, not free in society where they can harm others.
Oh will you just cram it with the Captain Hindsight crap. Everyone knows hindsight is always 20/20 and they SHOULD have done that. The hardest part is at the time of the poster's daughter suicide attempt, society was in the tip of the iceberg of bi-polar disorder. It wasn't widely talked about. The parents of that young female didn't realize she had issues. Mainly because we as a society don't ask the questions and many of us if asked don't give the right answers. We answer "I'm fine" even when we are not. Often times, there is no follow up by the asker either. I get this at work namely from the teacher that hired me (not so much anymore since I'm not in her room anymore) but she would say "Are you sure?" Most just stop at the "How are you?" She didn't, probably because she knows we deal with students who maybe future mass shooters, students flagged for having behavioral issues. We don't work an easy job, hence the tougher follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
17 states and DC have Red Flag Laws and an appeals processes. No two states have the same laws. Most restrict who can file a petition.

No one knows what Trump meant when he said he supports Red Flag and that might include him. He supports state laws? He wants a federal law? Lip service?
The problem with Trump is we don't know what he is for gun wise. He claims he is for the NRA and then thinks politicians are scared of the NRA. He claims to be for the second amendment, but then is for red flag laws which 2a absolutists claim infringes on their constitutional rights.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:56 PM

3,171 posts, read 982,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
All I know is that I have a firm trust in the State to determine who is mentally fit and who is not.

It's why I pay taxes.
Sometimes, sarcasm is beautiful.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM

30,865 posts, read 33,740,582 times
Certain mental illnesses, syndromes and spectrums lead to lack of impulse control, obsessive or dissociative ways of thinking. Don't most of the modern mass shooters fit this criteria? I'd be surprised if a pattern hasn't been mapped already.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

12,223 posts, read 4,167,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post

That argument is a bit old and tired, the problem being the USA has the problem with mass shootings and not countries that have restricted access to certain guns and brought in sensible checks.

Secondly the Dayton shooter killed 9 people in 32 seconds, and certain guns are prolific killing machines.

Dayton Shooting: 9 Dead in 32 Seconds | Time

Finally knives, axess, hammer etc are illegal in public places without good reason in most countries and yoiu can be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon.

Offensive weapon - Wikipedia

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

10,308 posts, read 6,424,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Certain mental illnesses, syndromes and spectrums lead to lack of impulse control, obsessive or dissociative ways of thinking. Don't most of the modern mass shooters fit this criteria? I'd be surprised if a pattern hasn't been mapped already.
Exactly. And most of the time teachers and family know who these people are. Nobody is talking about mental illness in general, it's the ones with hit lists, facebook posts and so on.

Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

7,435 posts, read 3,827,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Involuntary commitment is the answer, it was stopped by liberals.
The GOP had all the power for 2 years and it was never on their radar. You can scratch that "liberals did it" from your GOP playbook. BTW, which party insists that they have access to military type weapons?

Last edited by gmagoo; Yesterday at 04:48 AM.. Reason: adding on

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

35,883 posts, read 32,578,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The GOP had all the power for 2 years and it was never on their radar. You can scratch that "liberals did it" from your GOP playbook. BTW, which party insists that they have access to military type weapons?
Only a very few have the money to access military weapons. I know I'm wasting type and you don't, or refuse to, understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or