U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 PM

13,123 posts, read 8,895,542 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/o...uster.amp.html

Gotta love liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:59 PM

28,831 posts, read 15,625,562 times
I previously assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the fever would eventually break — that Republicans would be forced by the American people to put their country above their party.

Always a one-way street with Reid. Where is the call to Democrats to put country over party?

Old 08-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 10 days ago)

12,244 posts, read 6,453,936 times
I've been saying get rid of the filibuster all along. The GOP should have done so before last year's midterms so that we could have really enacted change, to include a fully funded boarder wall and the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Doesn't make sense for the GOP to change it now, though, as they don't hold the House.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 PM

18,320 posts, read 18,067,925 times
I didn’t even know Harry Reid was still around

Old 08-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 14 days ago)

3,626 posts, read 643,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've been saying get rid of the filibuster all along. The GOP should have done so before last year's midterms so that we could have really enacted change, to include a fully funded boarder wall and the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Doesn't make sense for the GOP to change it now, though, as they don't hold the House.
Assuming you're a conservative, be careful what you wish for. Without the filibuster I see the US moving in the direction of Europe--i.e. far to the left of where we currently lie. Without the filibuster we would have much more stringent gun control. Not that I see that as a bad thing, but I assume you would.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Assuming you're a conservative, be careful what you wish for. Without the filibuster I see the US moving in the direction of Europe--i.e. far to the left of where we currently lie. Without the filibuster we would have much more stringent gun control. Not that I see that as a bad thing, but I assume you would.
We would, but it would've been repealed once the GOP had the White House and both houses of Congress from 2017 to 2019. All in all, I know that repealing the filibuster won't always lead to outcomes I desire, but I'm ok with that. I view that as democracy in action. What I do have a problem with, however, is the current undemocratic framework behind today's Senate filibuster.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 PM

5,314 posts, read 1,458,304 times
Remember when the Filibuster required Senators to talk forever, causing the Press to pile in and publicize the issue?

Yes, they used to do that. The whole idea behind the filibuster, was to bring all work of the Senate to a screeching halt, halting ALL votes on every issue until the debate ended or cloture was invoked. This brought in the Press, eager to publicize this nutty behavior of Senators who would set up cots in their offices or even on the Senate floor to yield to each other and keep droning on, sometimes for days or even weeks. Senators were known to read pages from a phone book (remember phone books?), or recipes for their favorite foods etc., into the record during these endless "debate" sessions, instead of engaging in actual debates, to stop Senate business.

The purpose was to bring far more attention to the issue being "debated" than it would normally get. A minority might start a filibuster in hopes that the bill they supported but didn't have the votes to pass, would get heavily publicized and the American people would see they were right. And would tell their Senators to vote the way the then-minority wanted.

That all changed in 1975, when the Senate had a large majority of Democrats but sometimes not enough to provide the 67 votes needed to break a filibuster. They changed the Senate rules to call for only a 60-Senator majority to invoke cloture, cutting off "debate" and leading to a vote where only a simple majority was needed to pass the bill.

And the 1975 rules change also eliminated the requirement that all other Senate business come to a halt, and even eliminated the requirement that Senators keep talking to keep the filibuster going. After 1975, it was a way simply for a minority (even one person) to arbitrarily demand a 60-vote minority to break the "filibuster" and allow a vote where a simply majority could decide the issue.

As a result, the press stopped attending these "silent filibusters" and quit publicizing them, since nothing spectacular (such as a paralyzed Senate) happened any more. The desire of the then-majority Democrats that nobody examine their motives too closely, was now well protected, contrary to the original purpose of a filibuster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

5,314 posts, read 1,458,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've been saying get rid of the filibuster all along.
I've been saying that we should bring back the "noisy filibuster". The one from pre-1975, where senators have to keep talking and concentrating on just one bill if they want to hold up the Senate, so that the press comes flocking in and publicizes the highly-unusual event of a filibuster, instead of ignoring it as they do now.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I've been saying that we should bring back the "noisy filibuster". The one from pre-1975, where senators have to keep talking and concentrating on just one bill if they want to hold up the Senate, so that the press comes flocking in and publicizes the highly-unusual event of a filibuster, instead of ignoring it as they do now.
That would be more entertaining and a mass improvement over the disgrace the system we have now. But I'd even be against that as it would needlessly hold up a bill from consideration.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

29,514 posts, read 39,991,949 times
Should the Democrats and the nation be so fortunate as to sweep the elections next year, they must get on with fixing the mountain of problems that have been neglected including immigration reform, health care, infrastructure, the student loan burden, unfair taxation to name a few. The GOP can either do what's right for America or continue to do what Wall Street and the dark money donors tell them to do. If it's the latter, then, yes, time for the filibuster to be revisited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies