Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 PM

15,704 posts, read 9,421,203 times

Advertisements

I am mainly throwing this out there because I enjoy seeing 2A Above Everything Else folks go kinda crazy when someone has another opinion.

San Jose mayor proposes mandatory gun liability insurance

Quote:
Liccardo is suggesting San Jose require gun owners in the city to carry mandatory liability insurance for weapons or pay an in-lieu fee to compensate taxpayers for the “public costs of firearm violence.” He likened it to smokers paying higher taxes for cigarettes or to car insurance companies rewarding safe drivers.

“A mayor doesn’t have the luxury of just offering ‘thoughts and prayers’ — we have to solve problems,” Liccardo said in a statement. “While this is far from a complete solution, it is something we can do to reduce the harms of firearms, without waiting for Congress to take action.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM

28,951 posts, read 14,281,894 times
Gotta love how when crazy people and criminals break laws, the law abiding get chastised. The left is absolutely crazy.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 PM

2,066 posts, read 892,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am mainly throwing this out there because I enjoy seeing 2A Above Everything Else folks go kinda crazy when someone has another opinion.

I don't go kinda crazy.

I go buy more ammo.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:10 PM

1,893 posts, read 999,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Gotta love how when crazy people and criminals break laws, the law abiding get chastised. The left is absolutely crazy.

More people get injured, maimed by stupid stuff gun owners do ----of the 33,000 deaths a year, I'm guessing most are not due to crazy or not criminally related.

I sure hope my family would sue the **** out of anyone who killed me accidentally or purposely. And I'd sure as hell hire the best atty to sue if I have any injury from someone's gun - or stolen gun that they failed to keep secure.

If I owned a gun and carried, I'd definitely have an umbrella liability policy "just in case" it was stolen, accidentally discharged, etc.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,066,520 times
How will this proposal do what he seeks? Such insurance would be super cheap as the odds of a legally owned firearm being misues are very small. Most of the gun violence would come from owners who would ignore the legal requirement for insurance just as they ignored the legal requirement to not commit crimes in the first place. And how would he monitor and enforce it?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:16 PM

27,537 posts, read 15,958,745 times
Criminals are sure to purchase insurance before they injure or kill someone. Especially if they think they will be caught.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 PM

6,906 posts, read 3,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
More people get injured, maimed by stupid stuff gun owners do ----of the 33,000 deaths a year, I'm guessing most are not due to crazy or not criminally related.

I sure hope my family would sue the **** out of anyone who killed me accidentally or purposely. And I'd sure as hell hire the best atty to sue if I have any injury from someone's gun - or stolen gun that they failed to keep secure.

If I owned a gun and carried, I'd definitely have an umbrella liability policy "just in case" it was stolen, accidentally discharged, etc.
Most are suicides (about 2/3) - so I guess you would have to sue yourself.

19,663 posts, read 9,976,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How will this proposal do what he seeks? Such insurance would be super cheap as the odds of a legally owned firearm being misues are very small. Most of the gun violence would come from owners who would ignore the legal requirement for insurance just as they ignored the legal requirement to not commit crimes in the first place. And how would he monitor and enforce it?
It is a feel-good worthless proposal. Just for votes.

732 posts, read 386,123 times
Huh. This insurance thing is an interesting idea, although it wouldn't alter the behavior of your typical San Jose shooter one whit, I doubt they have insurance for anything.

I can think of a few more good ideas. We could start with higher health insurance and lower SS payouts for women.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 PM

5,847 posts, read 3,263,196 times
Just another way of trying to circumvent the 2nd amendment. Make it so unaffordable only the rich will be able to own a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies