U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "Fredo" an ethic slur?
Yes 0 0%
No 9 36.00%
No - it's just an insult 16 64.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 03:22 PM

1,898 posts, read 1,729,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Can you imagine what he would say if Trump said something like that?
The irony is, Trump IS Fredo in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Had the guy swung on Cuomo, Cuomo would have had his body guards swoop down and cheap shot the guy and Cuomo would have had his lawyers and the NY AG on speed dial to have the guy charged with assault.
I've called Obama Fredo. I've called Beto Orourke, Fredo. And Frito and Beano given his pretend Spanish persona. Yeah, its an insult demoting a weak person. I never really associated it with Italian heritage, though. I've also called Obama " Ruprecht" in homage of Steve Martin in " Dirty Rotten Scoudrels."
Cuomo's a punk ass which is why he's on CNN, the dregs of the cable news industry.

But would you called a random chinese person, Charlie Chan, or a random irish person, Mick? Yeah, I'm guessing you wouldn't dare, which is why none of times you've done it it was related to the race of the person you directing it towards, nor was it in person either. Is calling an italian person, Fredo, like the N word, from a non italian? No, I don't think so, but it is a slur based on ethnicity. That is undeniable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 03:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 12,134,483 times
Fredo the FAKE!

Old 08-17-2019, 04:55 PM

9,668 posts, read 4,950,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I never heard it but it was added as an Urban Dictionary definition... Then again people spammed the page with a lot of Chris Cuomo definitions as well...
You never heard of 'Fredo' as an ethnic slur because it isn't one.

My question is: Why aren't the Democratic party prez candidates, the Congressional Black Caucus, and others, particularly people of color criticizing Cuomo for comparing Fredo to the 'n' word ? Wasn't the comparison insensitive to black history, or cultural appropriation, or something unwoke ? Is Fredo the 'f' word for Italians ?

Old 08-18-2019, 06:53 AM

12,416 posts, read 4,239,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You never heard of 'Fredo' as an ethnic slur because it isn't one.

My question is: Why aren't the Democratic party prez candidates, the Congressional Black Caucus, and others, particularly people of color criticizing Cuomo for comparing Fredo to the 'n' word ? Wasn't the comparison insensitive to black history, or cultural appropriation, or something unwoke ? Is Fredo the 'f' word for Italians ?
Fredo is not the equivalent of the 'n' word at best it's the equivalent of calling a black man an Uncle Tom.

In terms of Fredo it comes from the novel by Mario Puzo which was later made in to a film, it's derogatory because Fredo Corleone is the weaker and less intelligent of his brothers, the term "Fredo" has become to refer to a weak member of a group, especially one of a number of siblings in a family. Fredo is also linked to personal inadequacy and inability to act coupled with character and personality flaws. The family unit was traditionally important to Italians.

As for Uncle Tom he is the title character of Harriet Beecher Stowe's 1852 novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin. The term "Uncle Tom" is also used as a derogatory epithet for an exceedingly subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.

Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) would wind up boxing opponents such as Floyd Patterson by calling them Uncle Tom's.

Both Fredo and Uncle Tom were fictional characters in books that were later made in to films.

Similarly a Jewish person might object to being called a Shylock, a ruthless jewish money lender who demanded his pound of flesh in in William Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice and there are numerous other such examples.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-18-2019 at 07:10 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 08:50 AM

5,648 posts, read 7,080,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I thought in New York State there is a law that you must retreat from a confrontation. Stand your ground is not allowed in NY. Cuomo sure did not retreat.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM

2,000 posts, read 410,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought in New York State there is a law that you must retreat from a confrontation. Stand your ground is not allowed in NY. Cuomo sure did not retreat.
Most states allow you to stand your ground so long as you don't use deadly force. So he was most likely OK, legally speaking.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:25 AM

13,959 posts, read 7,605,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Chris Cuomo: " Do I make you laugh? What am I, some kind of clown, here to amuse you?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY

Old 08-19-2019, 05:07 PM

21,466 posts, read 14,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Fredo is not the equivalent of the 'n' word at best it's the equivalent of calling a black man an Uncle Tom.

In terms of Fredo it comes from the novel by Mario Puzo which was later made in to a film, it's derogatory because Fredo Corleone is the weaker and less intelligent of his brothers, the term "Fredo" has become to refer to a weak member of a group, especially one of a number of siblings in a family. Fredo is also linked to personal inadequacy and inability to act coupled with character and personality flaws. The family unit was traditionally important to Italians.

As for Uncle Tom he is the title character of Harriet Beecher Stowe's 1852 novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin. The term "Uncle Tom" is also used as a derogatory epithet for an exceedingly subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.

Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) would wind up boxing opponents such as Floyd Patterson by calling them Uncle Tom's.

Both Fredo and Uncle Tom were fictional characters in books that were later made in to films.

Similarly a Jewish person might object to being called a Shylock, a ruthless jewish money lender who demanded his pound of flesh in in William Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice and there are numerous other such examples.
Exactly!

Saul calls Walt "Fredo" because he sees that the guy is soft and doesn't know what he's doing, at least when it comes to drug dealing/production.

The comparison is pretty much lost on those who have not read the book or seen film "The Godfather".

Fredo Corleone

"Being weaker and less intelligent than his brothers, Fredo has little power or status within the Corleone crime family. The infant Fredo had pneumonia. In the novel, Fredo's primary weakness is his womanizing, a habit he develops after moving to Las Vegas and which earns his father's disfavor. In the films, Fredo's feelings of personal inadequacy and his inability to act effectively on his own behalf are character flaws leading to greater consequences." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredo_Corleone

What Fredo did, among other not so bright things: https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...betray-michael

Then came the beginning of his end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjUOBVAbGhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drb3yEIh3Yw

As it relates to Andrew Cuomo and his brother Chris, and this comes from someone who was born/raised in NYS, and came up while their father was governor; the latter has always been (or is seen) as a "pretty boy" who isn't that bright. Which isn't true but never the less.

Andrew Cuomo followed his father into politics and after holding a few appointed offices became NYS attorney general, then a three term governor. Chris Cuomo OTOH as a media/news personality which in some people's book just isn't on same page as his more illustrious brother.

Besides being the eldest, Andrew Cuomo being a former AG and now governor obviously makes him the "Don" of the Cuomo family.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM

6,734 posts, read 2,049,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
This is great! Now it will be the new nickname for him forever!!! Chris "Fredo" Cuomo!!!Fredo apparently has some temper!!
I'm confused. Do you think most people would like being called by an insulting nickname? If you're a retired cop, as your handle says, would you be amused at being called a "pig" or a "Keystone Cop"? Or an insult to your ethnicity? I doubt it. So why do you think it's funny that someone objects to being called "Fredo"?

Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 PM

12,743 posts, read 3,445,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm confused. Do you think most people would like being called by an insulting nickname? If you're a retired cop, as your handle says, would you be amused at being called a "pig" or a "Keystone Cop"? Or an insult to your ethnicity? I doubt it. So why do you think it's funny that someone objects to being called "Fredo"?
It's not funny that someone objects to being called "Fredo", it's funny that Chris Cuomo, specifically, objects to being called "Fredo".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies