U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "Fredo" an ethic slur?
Yes 0 0%
No 9 36.00%
No - it's just an insult 16 64.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 AM

9,668 posts, read 4,950,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm confused. Do you think most people would like being called by an insulting nickname? If you're a retired cop, as your handle says, would you be amused at being called a "pig" or a "Keystone Cop"? Or an insult to your ethnicity? I doubt it. So why do you think it's funny that someone objects to being called "Fredo"?
I agree you're confused. Nobody claims Cuomo shouldn't object to being called Fredo. His reaction was way over the top. Threatening to assault the guy [a crime], the language, saying Fredo is an ethnic slur and like using the n word to blacks. I think he might have a wee inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 AM

6,720 posts, read 2,885,636 times
I like Chris Cuomo and watch him regularly, but being called "Fredo" is not an ethnic slur. An insult maybe, but not a slur.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 AM

5,549 posts, read 1,151,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm confused. Do you think most people would like being called by an insulting nickname? If you're a retired cop, as your handle says, would you be amused at being called a "pig" or a "Keystone Cop"? Or an insult to your ethnicity? I doubt it. So why do you think it's funny that someone objects to being called "Fredo"?
I have heard the word pig used towards certain types of women, so that word is not merely used toward police officers.
People use all kinds of insult words.
Cops called pig don't act as Fredo did in this video. They don't threaten to "throw them down the stairs and ruin them". Apparently the left is for violence as long as the violence/threat is directed at those they disapprove of their beliefs.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:46 AM

26,153 posts, read 39,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...dU3idmOhI7vSPE This is great! Now it will be the new nickname for him forever!!! Chris "Fredo" Cuomo!!!Fredo apparently has some temper!!
Yes he will be Fredo forever!

Aside from the issue of him feeling that Fredo is the new N word, the way Chris/Fredo, handled this, what Chris considered a racist thing, is to me, more of the issue.

Chris needs to get off steriods and get anger management.

Even to be called a name in front of your kids, should not be a reason for this behavior. Chris should have told his child that calling someone a name is NOT any reason to get provoked.

Chris is clearly not a good parent and no example for any parent/child.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM

3,603 posts, read 1,427,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I agree you're confused. Nobody claims Cuomo shouldn't object to being called Fredo. His reaction was way over the top. Threatening to assault the guy [a crime], the language, saying Fredo is an ethnic slur and like using the n word to blacks. I think he might have a wee inferiority complex.
Dare one say... a Fredo complex. That's the hilarity multiplier.

A bigger man would have simply given this dope an under-chin brush-off and gone on with his life. But not Fredo Cuomo -- he wants respect!

Old 08-22-2019, 03:45 PM

1,605 posts, read 675,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Yes he will be Fredo forever!

Aside from the issue of him feeling that Fredo is the new N word, the way Chris/Fredo, handled this, what Chris considered a racist thing, is to me, more of the issue.

Chris needs to get off steriods and get anger management.

Even to be called a name in front of your kids, should not be a reason for this behavior. Chris should have told his child that calling someone a name is NOT any reason to get provoked.

Chris is clearly not a good parent and no example for any parent/child.
Yeah I agree.....he's pretty white trashy. Who talks to people like that, especially with their children?

CNN isn't doing much better.....I'm making to sure share this on every outlet....

The Hallmark Channel and TLC (honey boo boo network) have more primetime viewers than cnn.

Trump owned the fake news, completely annihilated them. Which was lonnnnng overdue.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:00 AM

16,459 posts, read 6,498,662 times
I asked my (Italian) barber yesterday if "Fredo" was indeed a derogatory terms with regard to Italians. As well as a lawyer against whom I practice. Neither thought it was.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:08 AM

443 posts, read 60,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I asked my (Italian) barber yesterday if "Fredo" was indeed a derogatory terms with regard to Italians. As well as a lawyer against whom I practice. Neither thought it was.
Fredo is not an ethnic slur. Cuomo pulled that out of his ass, and I don't know how deep he needed to reach to come up with that. Anyone, of any ethnic group or race can be a 'Fredo'. Now, a ginzo or guido or wop that's specifically for Italians.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:38 AM

3,603 posts, read 1,427,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Fredo is not an ethnic slur. Cuomo pulled that out of his ass, and I don't know how deep he needed to reach to come up with that. Anyone, of any ethnic group or race can be a 'Fredo'. Now, a ginzo or guido or wop that's specifically for Italians.
What's even funnier is how CNN and the rest of the media suddenly declared Fredo is an ethnic slur because Fredo Cuomo said it was.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:59 AM

38,096 posts, read 16,484,495 times
Poor wittle chris can dish it out BUT, CAN'T TAKE IT. Typical lib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies