U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:03 AM

13,209 posts, read 4,546,412 times

Advertisements

This is more about people whining than anything else. I don't see anything wrong with taking things on a case by case basis. Some species that are listed as protected don't even need it anymore.

Quote:
Currently there is no significant difference in protections for non-marine wildlife listed as “threatened” versus those designated as “endangered.” Those species listed as threatened would no longer be automatically protected. Instead conservation requirements will be decided on a “case by case” basis. This is the approach already used by the National Marine Fisheries Services, which administers the ESA for marine mammals and fish.

Species already listed as threatened will continue to be protected under the old rules. In the Pacific Northwest, these include the Oregon silverspot butterfly and spotted frog, Columbian white-tailed deer, northern spotted owl and marbled murrelet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:06 AM

35,698 posts, read 32,461,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This is more about people whining than anything else. I don't see anything wrong with taking things on a case by case basis. Some species that are listed as protected don't even need it anymore.
exactly

It avoids blanket protection based simply on some leaf lickers proposal to close down entire areas to any human activity.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

7,552 posts, read 3,107,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looks like trump is relaxing rules and regulations on the endangered species list making current protected animals not so protected =https://www.opb.org/news/article/tru...ildlife-rules/
Its about time! The looney-tunes have overreached since its original intent. Sanity may return!

Old Today, 06:15 AM

33,526 posts, read 14,133,361 times
Quote:
There is already a process for removing species from the list who are no longer endangered, 47 have been removed. So what is the point of this action that allows them to ignore climate change and put a cost on each species.

Old Today, 06:48 AM

27,853 posts, read 17,814,068 times
After reading up on this-as usual the OPs title is a lie.... Nothing in the changes in regulations "kills" the ESA-it simply brings some common sense to the law-and avoids some of the abuses of those using the act to punish landowners and the public. More importantly, it looks at the financial impact of ESA designation-something LONG overdue.

Old Today, 06:50 AM

24,555 posts, read 12,125,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not starting account with the New York slime.

Old Today, 06:54 AM

5,833 posts, read 13,374,985 times
Quote:
Agree. Reducing rules and regulations that are unnecessary.

Old Today, 06:55 AM

22,124 posts, read 21,871,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I'd love to hear what Trump voters have to say about this one

Can any of them back up Trump and explain why easing endangered species laws is a GOOD idea???
Ok.
From the article what is being done is distinguishing between endangered status and threatened status. As it stands non marine species are given blanket protections as if they were threatened species. Sounds reasonable to me, are they threatened or are they endangered? Those are two separate classifications.
The second change is redefining critical habitat from a historical range to present range. Again seems reasonable.

Nothing in there even remotely suggest that the administration plans to kill the endangered species act.

What is it you find a bad idea?

Old Today, 06:58 AM

24,555 posts, read 12,125,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok.
From the article what is being done is distinguishing between endangered status and threatened status. As it stands non marine species are given blanket protections as if they were threatened species. Sounds reasonable to me, are they threatened or are they endangered? Those are two separate classifications.
The second change is redefining critical habitat from a historical range to present range. Again seems reasonable.

Nothing in there even remotely suggest that the administration plans to kill the endangered species act.

What is it you find a bad idea?
Sounds fine to me.

Keep in mind that anything Trump does will cause liberals to scream in outrage no matter how logical it may be.

Old Today, 07:15 AM

22,124 posts, read 21,871,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Keep in mind that anything Trump does will cause liberals to scream in outrage no matter how logical it may be.
Yes that seems so. I find in confusing that they also believe Trump comes up with this personally because he is just callous and unsympathetic and hates everything.

I guess no one is old enough to remember the endangered snail darter controversy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies