Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,186,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
After reading up on this-as usual the OPs title is a lie.... Nothing in the changes in regulations "kills" the ESA-it simply brings some common sense to the law-and avoids some of the abuses of those using the act to punish landowners and the public. More importantly, it looks at the financial impact of ESA designation-something LONG overdue.
These losses are for the protection of species, been around 50 years and it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 8 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes that seems so. I find in confusing that they also believe Trump comes up with this personally because he is just callous and unsympathetic and hates everything.

I guess no one is old enough to remember the endangered snail darter controversy.
I think the people who generally call Trump callous and unsympasthetic to the plight of the world are called scientists and environmentalists.

The weakening of the legislation will allow economic factors to be put ahead of conservation or preservation of endangered species or areas of special scientific interest.

Then again Donald has a track record in this area.

'Destroyed' Trump golf course dunes to lose special status - BBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

The US federal government has announced an overhaul of the way it enforces the Endangered Species Act, a law credited with preventing countless extinctions.

Trump officials say the new plan will reduce regulations, but environmental groups warn it will "crash a bulldozer" through the landmark 1973 legislation.

The plan removes automatic protections for threatened species and allows economic factors to be considered.

Critics say the new rules will speed extinction for vulnerable wildlife.

Ten state attorneys general have announced plans to sue over the new regulation.

Environmentalists warn Trump 'weakening' endangered species protections - BBC News

Trump officials weaken protections for animals near extinction - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-13-2019 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 07:38 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think the people who generally call Trump callous and unsympasthetic to the plight of the world are called scientists and environmentalists.

The weakening of the legislation will allow economic factors to be put ahead of conservation or preservation of endangered species or areas of special scientific interest.
You might think wrong. I have my degree in wildlife and fisheries science and work for an environmental consulting company. Of course I dont know what field you and Mollygee are in.

What do you think of the case of TVA vs. Hill concerning the endangered snail darter? Legislation all the way to the supreme court trying to make an exemption to the endangered species act.
Tell me how you believe defining endangered and threatened classifications separately as opposed to treating threatened as endangered species and basing determinations on actual present ranges as opposed to historical ranges weakens the endangered species act and threatens the protection of endangered species.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 8 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You might think wrong. I have my degree in wildlife and fisheries science and work for an environmental consulting company. Of course I dont know what field you and Mollygee are in.

What do you think of the case of TVA vs. Hill concerning the endangered snail darter? Legislation all the way to the supreme court trying to make an exemption to the endangered species act.
Tell me how you believe defining endangered and threatened classifications separately as opposed to treating threatened as endangered species and basing determinations on actual present ranges as opposed to historical ranges weakens the endangered species act and threatens the protection of endangered species.
There was nothing wrong with protecting the snail darter, indeed there all kinds of protected wildlife and animals in lmost countries and those deemed endangered or threatened,are on those lists for a good reason.

The preservation of animals deemed endangered or threatened by scientists must come before pure greed and economics, even if it means companies having to build new wildlife habitats and move endangered or threatened species.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Too bad it wasn't completely abolished.

The slight uptick in freedom would have put a little hop in my step.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Pyron’s argument is simple: extinction has been going on ever since the beginning of life, 99% or more of species that ever existed have gone extinct without leaving descendants, and even more have evolved into something very different; there have been lots of “natural” extinctions due to changes in earth’s climate, snowpack, and continental drift; the Earth always recovers from extinctions to produce a new crop of species; it will likewise recover from the latest anthropogenic “Sixth Extinction”; and even if the endangered species—or other species—go extinct, we’ll get some nifty new ones. The only species worth caring about, says Pyron, are those whose welfare impacts our own, like trees, food fish, and so on. And this is from a biologist.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress...on-is-natural/

Old 08-13-2019, 07:53 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Who cares about anything tomorrow, when we can profit today! /s

Old 08-13-2019, 07:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
It's fairy irresponsible to relax laws in relation to endangered species,

The problem once on this list removing them is impossibly hard even if the population has recovered. It's being used as back door measure for environmental regulations, e.g. instead of banning the gun you ban lead which is actually something "environmental" groups tried whose members just happened to be anti-gun.

There is extremes on both sides, you have some capitalists that could care less and on the other side you have environmentalists that would ban everything. Neither should be acceptable, sane and practical regulations the meets the needs of everyone is what is required.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
There was nothing wrong with protecting the snail darter, indeed there all kinds of protected wildlife and animals in lmost countries and those deemed endangered or threatened,are on those lists for a good reason.

The preservation of animals deemed endangered or threatened by scientists must come before pure greed and economics, even if it means companies having to build new wildlife habitats and move endangered or threatened species.
Apparently you are not familiar with the snail darter case. It was exactly what you are pretending this change in definitions is doing.

How are the proposed changes eliminating the preservation of endangered and threatened species?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
After reading up on this-as usual the OPs title is a lie.... Nothing in the changes in regulations "kills" the ESA-it simply brings some common sense to the law-and avoids some of the abuses of those using the act to punish landowners and the public. More importantly, it looks at the financial impact of ESA designation-something LONG overdue.
So now, all of the sudden, you trust the government to make "common sense" decisions on a case by case basis? Seems to me like there is a bit of contradiction in the positions of the Trump Base. They don't trust anything or anyone in the government who disagrees with him, and they do trust anyone for any reason if they do agree. So far, the only justifcation they have given for years is "Trump said it, so it must be true".

Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies