U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
 
5,146 posts, read 3,035,143 times
Reputation: 3217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How do companies come to such a pass?
They become corporate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,197 posts, read 9,825,266 times
Reputation: 9819
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Eh capitalism exists as a system not because it is intrinsically "good" or "evil" or any has kind of moral tie in at all. Capitalism is an amoral system. It exists because it functions reasonably well in practice and does not make Utopian assumptions about the motivation of the humans that exist within the system, unlike many of the preceding competitive ideologies.

Instead of assuming altruistic motives it assumes self interested ones, which surprise surprise... tends to mesh well with actual human behavior instead of wished for or desired human behavior.
You're sort of right...in a sense...but also wrong.

Capitalism: the voluntary exchange of goods and services by rightful property owners.

It's apolitical because it is the default setting of a human at birth. In that sense it can be construed as amoral. It exists without pride or prejudice.

However, from another POV, if it is left alone the individual always remains free because capitalism can't exist under any involuntary 3rd party meddling. Once that begins you have socialism regardless of scale, style, or any other details. And socialism is slavery...period. So at that point, if you consider slavery immoral, capitalism becomes (remains) the only moral paradigm in which a free individual may live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,197 posts, read 9,825,266 times
Reputation: 9819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
They become corporate?
How does a corporation come into existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
 
24,575 posts, read 12,132,906 times
Reputation: 10467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
BS. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
 
5,146 posts, read 3,035,143 times
Reputation: 3217
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How does a corporation come into existence?
It’s acquired by a group of shareholders. Guessing its called “going public?” Not too business savvy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,197 posts, read 9,825,266 times
Reputation: 9819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It’s acquired by a group of shareholders. Guessing its called “going public?” Not too business savvy.
I'm not quite sure this is true. Actually, I think you're skipping a step.

Let's try it again and see if we get to the bottom of it:

How does a corporation come into existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
 
5,146 posts, read 3,035,143 times
Reputation: 3217
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not quite sure this is true. Actually, I think you're skipping a step.

Let's try it again and see if we get to the bottom of it:

How does a corporation come into existence?
Guessing it has something to do with government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,197 posts, read 9,825,266 times
Reputation: 9819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Guessing it has something to do with government?
Correct.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corporation

So back to your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Nothing wrong with companies making money. But when it’s out of control and they practically control everything and cause harm, then it’s an issue.
Corporations only exist because of the State. How do we remedy this fact with your sentiments here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
 
9,173 posts, read 5,658,840 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Now it’s eating it..
No. Leftist/socialist policies are what has harmed the middle class. High taxation, and the welfare state has stretched the middle class to the breaking point, because we know the very wealthy pay no taxes, and the poor only feed off the taxes (they don’t pay), leaving the middle class to carry the burden.

Now we have the hardcore extremists on the left wanting to turbo charge their already failed welfare state policies to make everything “free” .... including anyone able to sneak across the damned border. But we all know that there is no such thing as free, right? Somebody has to pay the tab, which leads right back to the rich don’t pay, the poor just take, and the middle class will ultimately be wiped out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
 
9,173 posts, read 5,658,840 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It’s acquired by a group of shareholders. Guessing its called “going public?” Not too business savvy.
Don’t take what I have to say personally ... I’m going to be a little rough here for a reason .... call it tough love. Call it an EYE OPENER.......

You say you’re “not too business savvy”? Then what the hell are you talking for? This is probably the most enlightening point showing the shear idiocy of leftwing thinking and policy making. You’re far from alone on this lack of business savvy ... it’s a common ailment among socialists and communists (socialism being nothing more than the “Bud Light” version of communism).

From a purely theoretical point of view, and having no other concrete data to examine, it might be understandable how someone could lean toward the socialist/communist philosophy ... it makes such bold promises, most of which are directed toward the benefits to the common man. However, we are not bound by theory, and we have a vast history, and proven results to compare against the promises made, and the end is not a happy one for the common man who bought the promises.

While capitalism certainly has its share of flaws, I would contend that many of them are not because of lack of self “control”, but because of too much outside influence and control, affecting the natural balance of “cause and effect”, and “supply and demand” which are capitalism’s best self regulating principles that left to itself, corrects itself. When forces outside impose artificial, regulating “controls”, and particularly when those outside forces really don’t have the business acumen to make such decisions, that’s when the system suffers the most. Of course, those outside forces never take responsibility for the problems they’ve induced, they want to blame capitalism, rather than their poorly conceived manipulations.

Probably the best example to illustrate this is the most recent debate about the $15 minimum wage issue. Of course it sounds good to the low wage worker, as it promises increased pay. And it sounds good to the higher paid workers who have a natural compassion for their fellow citizens struggling to make ends meet. And, it sounds great to the politicians and bureaucrats because they love “buying votes”. But to the business man who actually understands the relationship between labor and business, it’s a horrible idea ... not because of greed, but because they UNDERSTAND the negative consequences such a policy will surely create. They understand that the first casualties of such a policy will be those the policy was created to help, as those low skilled workers will necessarily be replaced by higher skilled, more valuable and more productive workers who are worth that $15/hr rate.

Such policies have already been enacted by some states, and the results are exactly as predicted by the opposition..... loss of jobs .... higher consumer prices ... less profitable businesses, some of which are forced out of business, while others contracting, or simply not expanding. In other words, it’s an economic growth killer.

The reason for this is very simple and very predictable for those who actually are “business savvy”, which apparently does not include the bleeding heart liberal democrats who don’t seem very savvy about much of anything other than how to pander to poor people for votes, and how to escape blame for the harm they create.

All one needs is a basic understanding of the relationship between labor and business. You see, the unskilled workers who are predominantly those earning minimum wage, are not competing with business for higher wages ... they are competing against other workers .... both unskilled and skilled workers, for the jobs available. The only competitive advantage an unskilled worker has over a skilled worker is his ability and willingness to work for a lower wage. Impose a huge increase in the minimum wage, and you have eliminated his only advantage, and effectively marginalized him. Now, his employability is weakened, and in many cases, destroyed. The result is not an increase in wage, but a decrease, often to zero/hr, as he is unemployed.

The only effective and lasting way to increase wages is by the age old principle of supply and demand. When there are more jobs than workers to fill them, the wages go up to attract the labor. When there are more workers than there are jobs, wages stagnate. Therefore, to increase wages, you should be implementing policies that encourage economic expansion .... which just so happens to be the exact opposite of what huge increases to the minimum wage will cause.

In a broad sense, this is the essence of the failure inherently seen in the communist model, where economic stagnation, not expansion, is ALWAYS the end result.

Read some of Ayn Rand’s work ..... she is one of the brilliant minds of our time on economics, and the evils of communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top