U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
 
1,535 posts, read 317,481 times
Reputation: 436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Don’t take what I have to say personally ... I’m going to be a little rough here for a reason .... call it tough love. Call it an EYE OPENER.......

...

Read some of Ayn Rand’s work ..... she is one of the brilliant minds of our time on economics, and the evils of communism.
While it is true that a higher minimum wage will result in less jobs, all the explanation and reference to Ayn Rand is complete nonsense. The reason is really quite simple: shareholders will continue to expect ever higher profits. It has nothing to do with the 'supply and demand of jobs'. This is just a myth a lot of people has come to believe. The prove is that real wages continue to stagnate despite the supposedly record low unemployment.

As for capitalism vs socialism. There is no question that capitalism is superior, but not by far. Although socialism is doomed by itself, capitalism leads to huge misery and death, just far from where the capitalists are. Capitalists have made use, and continue to make use, of the most powerful military so that other countries are forced to adopt policies which benefit western capitalists. So countries far away are forced to buy dollars (in order to trade) t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶v̶e̶r̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ the fed p̶r̶i̶n̶t̶ creates at will.

I have given an example nobody can even respond to. We all know about the hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by opposing capitalism in Latin America last century, but one recent example really brings the point home. Chiquita, the banana company, admitted and was fined a few years ago for funding paramilitary organizations in Colombia listed by the US as terrorist organizations. They kill people who oppose their plans or dare to form unions demanding higher wages.

Very easy to talk about the greatness of capitalism without talking about the sanctions, wars and suffering that ensures the money keeps flowing your way.

Last edited by thelogo; Yesterday at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:13 AM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,939 posts, read 10,631,378 times
Reputation: 9598
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Communism is freedom from our corporate overlords.
Freedom from our corporate overlords (whatever the hell that means)... replaced with enslavement by our government overlords. Yeah, that sounds like a really bright choice.

BTW, when was the last time corporate "mercenaries" forced you to do something against your will? Did they raid your home? Accost you on the highway? Tackle you in Isle Five at your local market near the Miracle Whip rack? Threatened to hang you from the roof trusses at Walmart if you didn't buy a red plaid George shirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:47 AM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,939 posts, read 10,631,378 times
Reputation: 9598
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
While it is true that a higher minimum wage will result in less jobs, all the explanation and reference to Ayn Rand is complete nonsense. The reason is really quite simple: shareholders will continue to expect ever higher profits. It has nothing to do with the 'supply and demand of jobs'. This is just a myth a lot of people has come to believe. The prove is that real wages continue to stagnate despite the supposedly record low unemployment.

As for capitalism vs socialism. There is no question that capitalism is superior, but not by far. Although socialism is doomed by itself, capitalism leads to huge misery and death, just far from where the capitalists are. Capitalists have made use, and continue to make use, of the most powerful military so that other countries are forced to adopt policies which benefit western capitalists. So countries far away are forced to buy dollars (in order to trade) t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶v̶e̶r̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ the fed p̶r̶i̶n̶t̶ creates at will.

I have given an example nobody can even respond to. We all know about the hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by opposing capitalism in Latin America last century, but one recent example really brings the point home. Chiquita, the banana company, admitted and was fined a few years ago for funding paramilitary organizations in Colombia listed by the US as terrorist organizations. They kill people who oppose their plans or dare to form unions demanding higher wages.

Very easy to talk about the greatness of capitalism without talking about the sanctions, wars and suffering that ensures the money keeps flowing your way.
Capitalism is an economic system/model. It is not a form of government. When you go on and on about forcing other nations to this or that or the other, to their peril, that is NOT capitalism. That is a government (of whatever nature) applying force to other nations. Capitalism has nothing to do with that. So it sounds like your problem with "capitalism" is really a problem with government tyranny and military force.

Capitalism in its simplest form is me deciding I want to bake and sell bread in my village without the government (or you) telling me that I cannot do so or otherwise imposing control over the baking of bread. Communism in its simplest form is when the "hive" (via government) decides what function I will do for it, be it baking bread or laboring in a coal mine, whilst the fruit of my labor is exploited by the hive (via central authoritarian government). In a communistic society I am nothing, I have nothing, and I mean nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,103 posts, read 1,847,158 times
Reputation: 4252
In the USA in 2019 any dollar is a good dollar, no matter how much blood is dripping from it, no matter how badly it is stinking of corruption and injustice. A smart society understands what markets self-regulate well, and what markets need to be regulated. We are not bright enough to sort that out in any logical manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:01 AM
 
30,077 posts, read 16,614,198 times
Reputation: 13987
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
In the USA in 2019 any dollar is a good dollar, no matter how much blood is dripping from it, no matter how badly it is stinking of corruption and injustice. A smart society understands what markets self-regulate well, and what markets need to be regulated. We are not bright enough to sort that out in any logical manner.
Lets start with the money:its fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:15 AM
 
1,535 posts, read 317,481 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Capitalism is an economic system/model. It is not a form of government. When you go on and on about forcing other nations to this or that or the other, to their peril, that is NOT capitalism. That is a government (of whatever nature) applying force to other nations. Capitalism has nothing to do with that. So it sounds like your problem with "capitalism" is really a problem with government tyranny and military force.

Capitalism in its simplest form is me deciding I want to bake and sell bread in my village without the government (or you) telling me that I cannot do so or otherwise imposing control over the baking of bread. Communism in its simplest form is when the "hive" (via government) decides what function I will do for it, be it baking bread or laboring in a coal mine, whilst the fruit of my labor is exploited by the hive (via central authoritarian government). In a communistic society I am nothing, I have nothing, and I mean nothing.
That idea of capitalism doesn't exist but in the minds of people like you. I gave a very realistic account of what happens in real life. Corporations and capitalists use the government to force their will on others, no matter how much death and misery this causes. Some may excuse this as "flaws", they will have a very different opinion if it was their family that was killed or themselves that were exploited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:45 AM
 
30,077 posts, read 16,614,198 times
Reputation: 13987
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
That idea of capitalism doesn't exist but in the minds of people like you. I gave a very realistic account of what happens in real life. Corporations and capitalists use the government to force their will on others, no matter how much death and misery this causes. Some may excuse this as "flaws", they will have a very different opinion if it was their family that was killed or themselves that were exploited.
But the same govt is going to save us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:18 AM
 
1,535 posts, read 317,481 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
But the same govt is going to save us?
No it's not. That's what so called progressives believe.

So long as capitalists can influence politics to their likings nothing will change. In the same way politics should not influence economic decisions. Once both interests are respected things will work out. Of course that's just an ideal. Business interest will not consider anything that reduces profits. And so the cycle of recession and war continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:29 PM
 
5,042 posts, read 990,367 times
Reputation: 2017
While it is hard to know when the feds to step in, these recent big American media mergers come to mind. This is my take o some of them!

a. Here's how it should have gone down: 20th Century Fox should have stayed owned by 21st Century Fox. However, the Fox Marvel rights go to Disney. In exchange, Disney give them what Disney had of Star Wars/Lucasfilm. Also, both conglomerates sell off some of their big sports/news/media networks to separate companies. For example, 21st Century Fox sells of what they controlled of Star India and Disney sells off what they own of ESPN.

b. Say Comcast wants to maintain control of NBCUniversal and AT&T maintains control of WarnerMedia. Then those 2 giants sell off some of their media companies (news and sports included) that are not NBCUniversal or WarnerMedia, respectively. National Amusements does something similar if it wants to maintain control of Viacom and CBS. Same goes for the Sony Corp maintaining control of some of their biggest media companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,137 posts, read 14,358,453 times
Reputation: 16324
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Uncontrolled capitalism is evil.
Capitalism is a Property Theory and as such, it is inanimate, being neither good nor evil.

Note that Capitalist Property Theory can be paired with the Command Economic System, but no one has ever attempted it.

The Russians and East Bloc and a few others used the Command Economic System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
These changes being because of uncontrolled corporate greed.
And, who issues corporate charters?

Oh, that would be your State.

Since you're so heavily involved in State politics, you're responsible for "uncontrolled corporate greed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
We've hunted species to extinction..
So do Communists.

The Soviets loved ivory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, it is horrifying. Because, of course, you don't have any food on your table, corporate CEO's are literally raping you daily, you have no source of income or any way to provide for yourself or family because you cannot secure the basic provisions necessary in order to sustain life.
So, you'd prefer to be raped by a Communist Party.

I worked in the military attache's office at the US Embassy Mission in Romania during Ceausescu's regime.

My counter-part, a Romanian army officer, had warm water and sugar for breakfast everyday.

That's what he and his wife had. You just get a glass of warm water, stir in some sugar and there you go.

They did that so their kids would have something to eat for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top