U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2019, 12:37 PM
 
11,921 posts, read 2,954,363 times
Reputation: 5528

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Someone who has no other choice than to work for below average wages because they are in the country illegally thus illegal to work so they can not ask for higher wages, time off, benefits, etc. and the employer benefits from paying lower wages.
Write Congress to create a guest worker program so those workers couldn't bring family members with them and their permits expired after a certain time when they'd have to leave. Let the employers figure this out. Why should taxpayers subsidize employers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM
 
7,628 posts, read 4,377,043 times
Reputation: 9982
It's a hard problem to solve as we don't want to lower our standard of living. We live off of cheap unskilled labor. We push down labor costs internationally too, not just with immigration.

If we suddenly had to pay $2 per banana instead of $0.19 we would either have a reduced standard of living or runaway inflation as everyone up the chain demands raises, which just makes the money worth less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM
 
15,627 posts, read 8,010,427 times
Reputation: 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Write Congress to create a guest worker program so those workers couldn't bring family members with them and their permits expired after a certain time when they'd have to leave. Let the employers figure this out. Why should taxpayers subsidize employers?
As noted earlier - there are guest worker programs but often they are too burdensome for businesses to use to get the labor they need in time for whatever season they need the work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 01:37 PM
 
52,505 posts, read 42,204,330 times
Reputation: 32761
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My understanding is that undocumented workers do jobs that American workers will not do. Think picking vegetables or doing dairy farm work. I believe there is a program that allows some Mexican workers to cross from Mexico to do harvesting, but they go back to Mexico after harvest. But undocumented workers abound in restaurant kitchens, chicken and catfish processing plants and meat butchering and processing plants.

The truth is, we need those workers. Of course, I want them to be paid a living wage, and that would drive up prices. But undocumented workers give false SS numbers, they pay into the system, and never receive benefits. There is a lot of focus on them being recipients, but in reality, they also give back. Our birth rate continues to fall. IMO, we need these workers to do work most Americans won’t do, and to pay into Social Security. Of course, I would also want them to be able to live here legally.
We bring in millions of cheap laborers, suppress wages and then cry about low wages while making excuses the Americans wouldn't do that work.

I know people that worked at the meat processing plant in joplin, IL. My grandma cleaned houses and hotel rooms for extra money. I did hot sweaty farm work growing up.

Hate to break it to you but the key phrase is that Americans won't do that work...AS CHEAPLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 01:39 PM
 
49,027 posts, read 45,947,974 times
Reputation: 15572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They had a guy on from the Trump admin and of course he's spinning the new immigration enforcement thing, the host is trying to push back at the other angle, overall a pretty fair exchange.

Call ends and the host gets this expert on the line that had listened in to get their concerns, which would be roughly "equal time" so fair enough but you'd think they'd get an equal chance to rebut each other but yeah, that wasn't the plan.

Up until this point, I'm fine with it but then it happens....

The caller complains that several companies that provide home service are upset because THEY PAY THESE IMMIGRANTS SUPER LOW WAGES SO THEY RELY ON FOODSTAMPS ETC. THEY'RE CONCERNED THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ENOUGH WORKERS. (Hey, wasn't that the complaint for years against Walmart? Now it's ok I guess. )

I'm hearing this and thinking well gee, with supply and demand won't that mean they would have to pay more to fill those jobs? Whatever happened to the push for higher min wage?

In short, the complaint was that companies wouldn't have as much exploitable cheap labor.

That's it in a nutshell folks. Corporate America exploits illegal and legal immigrants for cheap labor that suppresses wages not only for them but throughout blue collar labor in the USA.

They've waged a great campaign by funding both the left and the right, any complaints about the system are deemed "racist" (talk about flipping complaints about exploitation huh? That's like a masters class in evil right there).
I've been saying this for a while. Money is a big part of this. Many companies are looking for super cheap and compliant labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 02:52 PM
 
161 posts, read 30,320 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They had a guy on from the Trump admin and of course he's spinning the new immigration enforcement thing, the host is trying to push back at the other angle, overall a pretty fair exchange.

Call ends and the host gets this expert on the line that had listened in to get their concerns, which would be roughly "equal time" so fair enough but you'd think they'd get an equal chance to rebut each other but yeah, that wasn't the plan.

Up until this point, I'm fine with it but then it happens....

The caller complains that several companies that provide home service are upset because THEY PAY THESE IMMIGRANTS SUPER LOW WAGES SO THEY RELY ON FOODSTAMPS ETC. THEY'RE CONCERNED THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ENOUGH WORKERS. (Hey, wasn't that the complaint for years against Walmart? Now it's ok I guess. )

I'm hearing this and thinking well gee, with supply and demand won't that mean they would have to pay more to fill those jobs? Whatever happened to the push for higher min wage?

In short, the complaint was that companies wouldn't have as much exploitable cheap labor.

That's it in a nutshell folks. Corporate America exploits illegal and legal immigrants for cheap labor that suppresses wages not only for them but throughout blue collar labor in the USA.

They've waged a great campaign by funding both the left and the right, any complaints about the system are deemed "racist" (talk about flipping complaints about exploitation huh? That's like a masters class in evil right there
).
My thouoghts exactly. The SJW, and even the MAGA right both need illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 04:02 PM
 
49,027 posts, read 45,947,974 times
Reputation: 15572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verifiedcheckmark View Post
My thouoghts exactly. The SJW, and even the MAGA right both need illegal immigration.
Alot of people seek out cheap labor. It's all about $$$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,854 posts, read 685,553 times
Reputation: 1256
What is also unnoticed is that who is hurt most by the cheap labor immigration policies. Who is hurt by this are the poor, and to a great extent minorities and LEGAL immigrants.

Why anti-immigration Republicans don't better articulate that is beyond me. Also why don't progressives ever point out that an extensive welfare state (i.e. progressivism) and lax immigration enforcement are inherently antithetical. Just ask Sweden.

The entire immigration debate, as currently conducted, is a cluster-bleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM
 
52,505 posts, read 42,204,330 times
Reputation: 32761
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But the whole illegal immigration issue IMO is caused by, going to be honest, usually conservatives/Republicans who were businessmen who want to pay pennies for labor.
I'm shocked, shocked I say that you would interject your partisanship into blaming the whole illegal immigration issue on your rival political opponents.

I mean seriously, come on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,854 posts, read 685,553 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm shocked, shocked I say that you would interject your partisanship into blaming the whole illegal immigration issue on your rival political opponents.

I mean seriously, come on now.
She must have missed the first of the two recent Democratic presidential debates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top