U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 PM

4,881 posts, read 1,665,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Nope your stuck in the past
And the present/future is...living off of other people's efforts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:21 PM

5,967 posts, read 1,613,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They had a guy on from the Trump admin and of course he's spinning the new immigration enforcement thing, the host is trying to push back at the other angle, overall a pretty fair exchange.

Call ends and the host gets this expert on the line that had listened in to get their concerns, which would be roughly "equal time" so fair enough but you'd think they'd get an equal chance to rebut each other but yeah, that wasn't the plan.

Up until this point, I'm fine with it but then it happens....

The caller complains that several companies that provide home service are upset because THEY PAY THESE IMMIGRANTS SUPER LOW WAGES SO THEY RELY ON FOODSTAMPS ETC. THEY'RE CONCERNED THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ENOUGH WORKERS. (Hey, wasn't that the complaint for years against Walmart? Now it's ok I guess. )

I'm hearing this and thinking well gee, with supply and demand won't that mean they would have to pay more to fill those jobs? Whatever happened to the push for higher min wage?

In short, the complaint was that companies wouldn't have as much exploitable cheap labor.

That's it in a nutshell folks. Corporate America exploits illegal and legal immigrants for cheap labor that suppresses wages not only for them but throughout blue collar labor in the USA.

They've waged a great campaign by funding both the left and the right, any complaints about the system are deemed "racist" (talk about flipping complaints about exploitation huh? That's like a masters class in evil right there).
Another example of the left projecting their thoughts on conservatives.

The left essentially argues that we need more illegal labor to keep prices of our stuff low, yet call those who oppose illegal immigration because we dislike that it depresses wages 'racist'

In fact, the view of the left that we need to exploit brown people in order to keep our wages low and our stuff cheap is the most racist position one can possibly take.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:30 PM

22,486 posts, read 14,769,991 times
Quote:
We bring in millions of cheap laborers, suppress wages and then cry about low wages while making excuses the Americans wouldn't do that work.

I know people that worked at the meat processing plant in joplin, IL. My grandma cleaned houses and hotel rooms for extra money. I did hot sweaty farm work growing up.

Hate to break it to you but the key phrase is that Americans won't do that work...AS CHEAPLY.
Well, that is the point, no? Immigrant labor built the first transcontinental railroad, so this is not a new situation.

If you want landscaping done, or periodic lawn care, you will likely call on immigrant labor, directly or indirectly. If you are staffing a restaurant, chances are you will hire immigrant kitchen help. Some or all might be undocumented, but with false SS numbers.

If the jobs paid more, perhaps more natives would apply for them. But I doubt you would get many Americans to harvest crops.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:00 PM

399 posts, read 60,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, that is the point, no? Immigrant labor built the first transcontinental railroad, so this is not a new situation.

If you want landscaping done, or periodic lawn care, you will likely call on immigrant labor, directly or indirectly. If you are staffing a restaurant, chances are you will hire immigrant kitchen help. Some or all might be undocumented, but with false SS numbers.

If the jobs paid more, perhaps more natives would apply for them. But I doubt you would get many Americans to harvest crops.

Time for automation of agricultural work. End the neo-slavery.

https://www.plugandplaytechcenter.co...uture-farming/

Old 08-27-2019, 03:11 PM

35,619 posts, read 19,566,687 times
Quote:
They had a guy on from the Trump admin and of course he's spinning the new immigration enforcement thing, the host is trying to push back at the other angle, overall a pretty fair exchange.

Call ends and the host gets this expert on the line that had listened in to get their concerns, which would be roughly "equal time" so fair enough but you'd think they'd get an equal chance to rebut each other but yeah, that wasn't the plan.

Up until this point, I'm fine with it but then it happens....

The caller complains that several companies that provide home service are upset because THEY PAY THESE IMMIGRANTS SUPER LOW WAGES SO THEY RELY ON FOODSTAMPS ETC. THEY'RE CONCERNED THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND ENOUGH WORKERS. (Hey, wasn't that the complaint for years against Walmart? Now it's ok I guess. )

I'm hearing this and thinking well gee, with supply and demand won't that mean they would have to pay more to fill those jobs? Whatever happened to the push for higher min wage?

In short, the complaint was that companies wouldn't have as much exploitable cheap labor.

That's it in a nutshell folks. Corporate America exploits illegal and legal immigrants for cheap labor that suppresses wages not only for them but throughout blue collar labor in the USA.

They've waged a great campaign by funding both the left and the right, any complaints about the system are deemed "racist" (talk about flipping complaints about exploitation huh? That's like a masters class in evil right there).

Exactly...

As I've been saying for years:

Illegal labor is just another facet of corporate welfare.

Does anyone REALLY think this guy will cut off the flow of his workers?

Old 08-27-2019, 03:18 PM

13,267 posts, read 4,065,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Another example of the left projecting their thoughts on conservatives.

The left essentially argues that we need more illegal labor to keep prices of our stuff low, yet call those who oppose illegal immigration because we dislike that it depresses wages 'racist'

In fact, the view of the left that we need to exploit brown people in order to keep our wages low and our stuff cheap is the most racist position one can possibly take.
Exactly right, the left are the actual racists and white supremacists that they accuse the right of being.

The other problem with illegals and guest workers is their numerous offspring get citizenship, and they are subsidized, and they don't leave. We need to find a way to get Americans doing these jobs even if we have to subsidize the jobs, which we are already doing basically anyway.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 PM

13,349 posts, read 6,388,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My understanding is that undocumented workers do jobs that American workers will not do. Think picking vegetables or doing dairy farm work. I believe there is a program that allows some Mexican workers to cross from Mexico to do harvesting, but they go back to Mexico after harvest. But undocumented workers abound in restaurant kitchens, chicken and catfish processing plants and meat butchering and processing plants.

The truth is, we need those workers. Of course, I want them to be paid a living wage, and that would drive up prices. But undocumented workers give false SS numbers, they pay into the system, and never receive benefits. There is a lot of focus on them being recipients, but in reality, they also give back. Our birth rate continues to fall. IMO, we need these workers to do work most Americans wonít do, and to pay into Social Security. Of course, I would also want them to be able to live here legally.
Well...you are wrong.

Americans are doing all those jobs that you claim Americans refuse to do. BTW, they are illegal aliens---not undocumented immigrants. Americans can be found in meat and poultry processing plants. If you peek in the kitchens of many restaurants, you will see Americans doing BOH restaurant jobs. Many chain restaurants use E-verify. Even in immigrant-heavy cities, you will find Americans cleaning hotel rooms. There are Americans who trim trees and do landscaping work.

And, yes, farmers have an agricultural visa program available to them that has no caps on it. Honest farmers who use this program have no problems getting their crops picked. Besides, automation is steadily taking over a lot of the crop picking.

What's wrong with a falling birthrate? We don't have unlimited potable water and buildable land.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:54 PM

39,466 posts, read 20,627,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
What most people donít realize is that we taxpayers subsidize the cheap labor for these businesses.
We pay for the free schooling and extra teachers for their children, we pay for any welfare benefits they use, we pay for all the immigration lawyers and beaurocrats to deal with them, plus any jail or prison time.
Immigrants send $35 billion a year out of this country as remittances to their families.
Imagine if that money stayed here and was taxed.....
This is true but if your tax bill is $0.00 what do you care that the rest of us are paying. It's easy to have compassion when someone else is paying for it.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:58 PM

22,756 posts, read 9,700,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How is it exploitable when someone voluntarily takes the job?
Yes absolutely. There is nothing about voluntarily being exploited that makes it not exploitation, which is the action or fact of treating someone unfairly in order to benefit from their work. Doesn't matter if they are ok with it or not. It means the same thing.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 PM

6,108 posts, read 2,846,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The logical solution is an EU-esque guest worker program that allows low skill Mexican immigrants to work in the economy legally. Why not?
This is a no brainer and I wonder why we don't allow guest workers into the country and their employers would be forced to pay them at least minimum wages & pay taxes. They want to go home after the growing season and come back the following year?
Sure why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies