U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:56 AM

37,483 posts, read 16,588,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Portland is a very nice city; I've stayed there several times. It feels safe, modern, clean, and well-maintained. There's plenty to see and do. It's not a crime-riddled dump like some of the east coast cities I've visited.
I agree that Portland is a nice city just as long as you don't go downtown where all the bums are hanging out against the buildings. They are far liberal though and I would expect chaos to break out there when this far right (whatever that is) rally is held there.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:01 AM

38,689 posts, read 15,165,722 times
Google "Charlottesville" to see the potential for trouble.

Students were attacked the night before the permitted rally.

Alt-right types refused to follow the police guidelines on where to enter and march.

Then, of course, there was the guy with the car mowing down people.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

363 posts, read 85,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What trouble? How will their be trouble?
Right wing, nationalists, whatever ya call them march down the street with some flags going to some park to give speeches.

Left wing, anarcho something or others show up to disrupt march and speechifying, sometimes physically attack group in the name of peace and diversity.

New development is that right wing group fights back. Right wing is smaller group with more physical stamina. Kind of a wash.

Same ol' , same ol'. Both sides will radicalize each other over time of course.

Old Today, 10:05 AM

Strangely enough, despite all the posts about how it is only the alt-right "fighting back," the folks in prison from the Charlottesville rally are all alt-right.

Go figure.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

13,791 posts, read 7,521,255 times
Portland is home to the oldest organized Antifa group, Rose Gold Antifa.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

27,430 posts, read 19,313,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
oh the left wing loons in Portland will not tolerate this kind of free speech
^this is what Portland is REALLY bracing for.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

If the alt-right crowd just wanted to wave Nazi flags and give speeches undisturbed, they could do it in Alabama, Wyoming, any number of places with no problem.

They picked Portland because they want a fight.

If only the folks there would make fun of them instead of fighting.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

363 posts, read 85,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree that Portland is a nice city just as long as you don't go downtown where all the bums are hanging out against the buildings. They are far liberal though and I would expect chaos to break out there when this far right (whatever that is) rally is held there.
They appear to have an simply amazing homeless problem there. Urban Oregon and Washington seem to be the world champs for piles of syringes. If you don't live in those areas, it makes for amazing news photography.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

1,099 posts, read 237,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Oregon does have a bit of a reputation as a haven for anarchists, doomsday preppers, and the like. It wouldn't surprise me to see the demonstration get a bit spirited. But they're mostly just blowing off steam.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
They appear to have an simply amazing homeless problem there. Urban Oregon and Washington seem to be the world champs for piles of syringes. If you don't live in those areas, it makes for amazing news photography.
Have you figured out why so many homeless flock to Oregon and Washington and California, instead of say, Oklahoma or Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or