U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:33 AM

27,868 posts, read 17,814,068 times

Advertisements

Oh no, an evil protest by conservatives. I wonder what horrors they will commit this time? Maybe picking up the garbage left by Democratics, like they did in Baltimore last week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:34 AM

38,704 posts, read 15,165,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Weather is pleasant enough to live outdoors year round without freezing or frying to death. There's 4k homeless in Portland and 3k in Atlanta, not all that big a difference considering Portland has 160k more people than Atlanta.
Given that the weather is more conducive to outdoor living Atlanta, I would expect there would be more there.

The biggest difference is likely soup kitchens and other social services that keep the homeless alive.

Those areas that don't have them, have fewer homeless.

I've worked with homeless, mentally ill folks in several northern states. There are a lot of southern accents.

I recall one woman who managed to get her entire family north. Dental care in Minnesota being more available for the less fortunate than dental care in Alabama was her reasoning.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Portland is home to the oldest organized Antifa group, Rose Gold Antifa.
Pantifa as individuals are pretty harmless-unless you're a woman or elderly, in which case you might be attacked. In a mob situation even those little snowflake man-bunners can actually hurt someone, especially considering how often they have attacked people with weapons.

Maybe this time Pantifa will stay home and respect the 1st amendment rights of others. Though that's not likely-the Brownshirts were never known for being tolerant of others.

Old Today, 10:38 AM

3,367 posts, read 1,744,229 times
Obviously the proud boys are there for trouble. However they have every right to protest the same as Antifa. I think this is going to come to a shooting eventually. These rallies have become more violent over time. They don't represent the vast majority of American's on either side.

Old Today, 10:39 AM

7,424 posts, read 4,305,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Oh no, an evil protest by conservatives. I wonder what horrors they will commit this time? Maybe picking up the garbage left by Democratics, like they did in Baltimore last week?
This is a very different type of group.

Old Today, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Obviously the proud boys are there for trouble. However they have every right to protest the same as Antifa. I think this is going to come to a shooting eventually. These rallies have become more violent over time. They don't represent the vast majority of American's on either side.
You mean like MKL was with his constitutionally protected marches?

Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This is a very different type of group.
In what way? Because they defend themselves when they are attacked?

Old Today, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Given that the weather is more conducive to outdoor living Atlanta, I would expect there would be more there.

The biggest difference is likely soup kitchens and other social services that keep the homeless alive.

Those areas that don't have them, have fewer homeless.

I've worked with homeless, mentally ill folks in several northern states. There are a lot of southern accents.

I recall one woman who managed to get her entire family north. Dental care in Minnesota being more available for the less fortunate than dental care in Alabama was her reasoning.
So it's the largely charitable Christian group soup kitchens and missions that are the problem? That is where you see them clustered. But I didn't think any one would blame their charitable efforts as a cause of the problem.

Atlanta more conducive to outdoor living that Portland?? They've got more rain. Serious storms. Is colder in winter and hotter in summer. More extreme weather in general.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In what way? Because they defend themselves when they are attacked?
I don't know what gives you the idea that they only defend themselves. They have had members arrested for starting fights.

Old Today, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know what gives you the idea that they only defend themselves. They have had members arrested for starting fights.
Have they ever gone to a Pantifa demonstration and attacked them? They may have-honestly don't know. We do know the opposite is true. Pantifa has assaulted anyone that holds conservative views-particularly women and the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or