U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:34 PM

537 posts, read 109,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why is it ridiculous?

What about 11? 13?
So you're good if Trump goes ahead and places four to six more justices on the court now?

( I see you got out of Holt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:34 PM

9,089 posts, read 8,043,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
RBG just said nine is a good number.

So, RBG is infallible in your estimation?

I happen to agree with her, but that doesn't make her right.

I also wouldn't be opposed to, say, 11 Justices. Of course, I'd like to see a mandatory retirement age, as well. If I were king....

Old Today, 12:36 PM

9,089 posts, read 8,043,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
So you're good if Trump goes ahead and places four to six more justices on the court now?

( I see you got out of Holt)

I'm open to the arguments as to why more than 9 might be a good idea, sure.

Don't just say "that's ridiculous" and expect that to be enough to convince any thinking adult. (I know you didn't say that.)

Yep, Holt was only ever a convenient place to rent an apartment with an attached garage - we always knew we'd end up in EL or Okemos.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

537 posts, read 109,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm open to the arguments as to why more than 9 might be a good idea, sure.

Don't just say "that's ridiculous" and expect that to be enough to convince any thinking adult. (I know you didn't say that.)

Yep, Holt was only ever a convenient place to rent an apartment with an attached garage - we always knew we'd end up in EL or Okemos.

Old Today, 01:51 PM

2,127 posts, read 3,887,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Republicans have been using the SCOTUS for political purposes for the last 50 years. This even extends to lower branches of the judiciary. They regularly campaign on the selection of judges with the intent of packing the courts with people that will imprint their shared philospohy on the nation.
How often do Kagan or RBG break from the party line?

Old Today, 02:11 PM

34,781 posts, read 33,852,346 times
So, the Dems change what they can't control and then the Supreme Court goes all activist on them and declares the law unconstitutional.

Old Today, 02:19 PM

17,463 posts, read 8,806,264 times
essentially - "think like us or else"
Bullies.

Old Today, 02:48 PM

9,648 posts, read 7,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Is it me or does it sound like the Dems are threatening the SCOTUS?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Several high-profile Senate Democrats warned the Supreme Court in pointed terms this week that it could face a fundamental restructuring if justices do not take steps to "heal" the court in the near future.

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., referenced rulings by the court's conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction which must be remedied.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen...-restructuring
ignoring their hero, RBG, who thinks the SC is just fine, and believes the 2 newest members are fine jurists.

Old Today, 02:50 PM

9,648 posts, read 7,328,604 times
Quote:
Republicans have been using the SCOTUS for political purposes for the last 50 years. This even extends to lower branches of the judiciary. They regularly campaign on the selection of judges with the intent of packing the courts with people that will imprint their shared philospohy on the nation.
the scary thing is that you believe this in a one-sided fashion.

who got the ACA/Obamacare passed? "Republican" Chief Justice Roberts cast the deciding vote.

Old Today, 03:00 PM

9,312 posts, read 4,241,184 times
Quote:
This. For Republicans, the ONLY thing that matters is packing the courts with justices that will ignore separation of church and state and allow them to impose the rules and values of the Southern Baptist Church on ALL Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies