Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Is it me or does it sound like the Dems are threatening the SCOTUS?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Several high-profile Senate Democrats warned the Supreme Court in pointed terms this week that it could face a fundamental restructuring if justices do not take steps to "heal" the court in the near future.

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., referenced rulings by the court's conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction which must be remedied.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen...-restructuring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Default Dems make threat to SCOTUS

Basically it’s rule how we want or we’ll change the court

Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Is it me or does it sound like the Dems are threatening the SCOTUS?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Several high-profile Senate Democrats warned the Supreme Court in pointed terms this week that it could face a fundamental restructuring if justices do not take steps to "heal" the court in the near future.

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., referenced rulings by the court's conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction which must be remedied.

You beat me by one minute. If Republicans made such a threat then those who support this would be screaming in anger or terror. By making such a threat these politicians are making it political.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Republicans have been using the SCOTUS for political purposes for the last 50 years. This even extends to lower branches of the judiciary. They regularly campaign on the selection of judges with the intent of packing the courts with people that will imprint their shared philospohy on the nation.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Republicans have been using the SCOTUS for political purposes for the last 50 years. This even extends to lower branches of the judiciary. They regularly campaign on the selection of judges with the intent of packing the courts with people that will imprint their shared philospohy on the nation.
You must have selective memory. Democrats have also done the same for decades for their issues.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Really. Do you think Democrats don't have a litmus test for the justices they nominate? Would an anti-abortion justice ever be selected by a Democrat?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:03 AM

923 posts, read 495,136 times
When President Trump gets to choose RBG's replacement the meltdown by leftists will be glorious!

Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Desperate Dems! They can’t threaten or bully their way through this. I love the rulings lately, especially on the $2.5 billion in border wall funding

Old 08-13-2019, 11:09 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I thought the Judiciary was a co-equal branch? What can Congress do to them?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I thought the Judiciary was a co-equal branch? What can Congress do to them?

The supreme court has been changed several times over years. For instance the number of Judges has changed several times during the court's existence. Those changes were driven by the other two branches.

I would imagine the Democrats would change the way judges are appointed as far as process or attempt to change the number of judges. To what? I have no idea as they have not said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies