Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmommy View Post
You know, I do tend to overlook the "head of state" aspect, simply for the fact that, while The Vatican is technically its own nation, it doesn't operate as one in my mind. We don't worry about our trade status with The Vatican, we don't import goods from The Vatican, and we'd never dream of invading The Vatican "for its own good", so I feel like the term "state" is sort of a misnomer.

ETA-And yes, I too get a lift from seeing the Dali Lama, you'd have to be kind of heartless not to IMO.
I mentioned the "head of state" thing b/c that is at the root of why the Pope is greeted here the way he is - i.e., by the President and w/ the regalia afforded all visiting Heads of State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
who cares.. its basically a kid on one block having a tiff with a kid on another block as far as I'm concerned. They're in the same business of stifling personal freedoms through psychological means... whats good for the goose is good for the gander... I mean.. I think the pope sucks.. and so does the organized muslim crap too... one's no better than the other... its all just so ridiculous.. I'm sorry...

What's ridiculous is you thinking that the pope "sucks". What has he done to **** you off?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have to say I agree with you. I don't subscribe to the religion or any religion for that matter so why on earth would I want to meet him, hear him talk or even know he is in the country?

I don't blame Muslims for not wanting to meet him, in fact I would have found it strange. I don't believe that making this man as big a deal that he is, is a good idea, I would not lend credence to that by buying into the whole mess.
You'd find it strange for a group of people to meet with the leader of another group of people (a very large and influential group like it or not) to discuss possible ways to find common ground that may influence others to curb the current violence in the world?

You don't think on making this man a big deal even with the power and position he holds by being the religious leader of over 1 billion people worldwide? Well, fair enough but do you make a big deal out of George Bush? There are more followers of the Pope than of George Bush.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmommy View Post
I just don't understand how it is relevant to...well, anything.

Are you serious??? Nothing relevant is going on in the Middle East due to religious differences??? How about those people abused by clergymen? The spiritual leader of over 1 billion people isn't relevant?? Wow. You must have high standards.

As far as the Pope "representing" Christians, I gotta tell you, most of the Christians I know would be insulted to be considered to be represented by him (from what I understand, he's not among the more well liked Popes, whatever that means).

Do you know why the current Pope may or may not be "liked" by many Christians? Why would they be insulted??

Having been raised Catholic, and now being pretty much agnostic, I just don't see why the Catholic Church should continue to be so influential.

Then yell at the 60 million Catholics in America. That's over 20% of the population of America and is by far the largest group in terms of religion. Don't overlook the fact that the Hispanic population in this country is growing very rapidly and a majority of these people are Catholic as well. While I don't think religion should dictate everything a country does, it certainly holds a strong influence.

We are supposed to be a "religiously neutral" nation and it just doesn't make sense to me to be worried about whether or not a Muslim leader will meet with a Catholic leader.

Who says we are supposed to be "religiously neutral"? There is Freedom of Religion that states you can practice whatever religion you want to or not practice one at all. And no, you shouldn't be worried about a Muslim leader meeting or not meeting with a Catholic leader. However, it may worry the 60 million Catholics. That's a lot of worry right there.

I just see religion differently, with the leaders being more akin to the heads of cliques in a school fighting for turf than sources of guidance for modern spirituality.

I must have missed the Vatican sending troops into Iraq.

Does that about cover it?
Hey, you don't like religion or maybe just Catholicism, fine. I have a few issues with it myself. But to totally disregard it is shortsighted.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
What's ridiculous is you thinking that the pope "sucks". What has he done to **** you off?
you're right.. he does suck... and It is my opinion that he does.. for saying what he says, and leading that church of his that I don't particularly care and have no respect for whatsoever. cheers mate

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
you're right.. he does suck... and It is my opinion that he does.. for saying what he says, and leading that church of his that I don't particularly care and have no respect for whatsoever. cheers mate
You have no respect for the many institutions of higher learning founded and supported by the catholic church? The hospitals? The orphanages? The charities which feed and clothe millions?

You need to get over yourself and show some respect for the many people of compassion and selflessness who populate the catholic religion.

Rejecting the catholic church as the province of one man is tantamount to rejecting Islam becuase of the 9/11 murderers.

I would expect better from you.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You have no respect for the many institutions of higher learning founded and supported by the catholic church? The hospitals? The orphanages? The charities which feed and clothe millions?

You need to get over yourself and show some respect for the many people of compassion and selflessness who populate the catholic religion.

Rejecting the catholic church as the province of one man is tantamount to rejecting Islam becuase of the 9/11 murderers.

I would expect better from you.
you get over yourself mate, a murderer and a pedophile can do many good things in their life time as well... all the good things don't overcompensate for all the bad things that have been done... he's still a murderer and a pedophile. That is not saying the pope is all those things but he is head of an organized religion that is... therefore he sucks and I have no respect for him or his institution... now as for followers.. I have all the respect in the world for.. please don't confuse my premis... its not you and me that is the issue... its who's calling the shots and who is responsible for everything that has happened over the years.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
you get over yourself mate, a murderer and a pedophile can do many good things in their life time as well... all the good things don't overcompensate for all the bad things that have been done... he's still a murderer and a pedophile. That is not saying the pope is all those things but he is head of an organized religion that is... therefore he sucks and I have no respect for him or his institution... now as for followers.. I have all the respect in the world for.. please don't confuse my premis... its not you and me that is the issue... its who's calling the shots and who is responsible for everything that has happened over the years.
And those "things that happen" include the many works of goodness to which I refer and which remain the active, conscious mission of the church.

I repeat the words of a previous poster in this context: The Catholic church has made mistakes, but the Cathoic church is not a mistake.

And that's fair dinkum.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And those "things that happen" include the many works of goodness to which I refer and which remain the active, conscious mission of the church.

I repeat the words of a previous poster in this context: The Catholic church has made mistakes, but the Cathoic church is not a mistake.

And that's fair dinkum.
in your opinion I suppose.. but if you want to call yourself devine and all knowing and guiding for people in their lives to draw closer to god and jesus and all that.. you probably should have a better record than the catholic church does... thats what I'm trying to say...
that fact alone to me shows they are nothing more than a corporation and their teachings have little importance or relavance to truth... So why should some clown in a cloth and red shoes get so much attention and praise from people who aren't catholic??? Its like you're offended by the notion that he means little to so many.. while meaning the world to so many others..
I am from the point of view that he is a joke and his church is a joke... and his influences on my country while positive AND negative in my view... I say we could do without it all together and be just fine... thanks for stoppin by mr pope.. don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out... peace

Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,849 times
I guess Mr Boise, that if you choose to not to partake the Pope's visit, that is ok.We know you do not like him, so just send an " I cannot attend" card back to the next Catholic event you are invited to and let it go. But let those of us who are enjoying the visit do so. For myself, if the opportunity arises to visit with the leaders of other religions, countries, and cultural group, I will probably be happy to attend if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies