U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:11 PM

1,784 posts, read 355,041 times

Advertisements

Baltimore City. That's a hard NO. These people are just oblivious. They are honest-to-God more concerned about the "rise of white supremacy" than the rampant crime, homelessness, filth and any other quality of life issue you can think of. I used to be middle-of-the road politically, until I moved here. These people are truly insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 2,588,056 times
I suggest you read a book by Bill Bishop called “The Big Sort” on how society is self-segregating with those that share their political beliefs.

Quote:
[In 2004, journalist Bill Bishop coined the term "the big sort." Armed with startling new demographic data, he made national news in a series of articles showing how Americans have been sorting themselves into alarmingly homogeneous communities -- not by region or by state, but by city and even neighborhood. Over the past three decades, we have been choosing the neighborhood (and church and news show) compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. The result is a country that has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred that people don't know and can't understand those who live a few miles away. How this came to be, and its dire implications for our country, is the subject of this ground-breaking work.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Sort-Clus...s%2C149&sr=8-1

Old Today, 04:13 PM

19,082 posts, read 15,571,347 times
Generally don't bug neighbors much about politics.

I live in a Republican Precinct of a swing though Republican leaning community, in a corrupt Republican Town in a Democratic leaning county of a Democratic state.

Old Today, 04:19 PM

15,940 posts, read 4,214,584 times
I lived in a RED area of NJ...but it was only Red because of the Military Industrial Complex (when Lockheed pays your salary, you vote their way).
Even there I would not say neighbors disagreed. In fact, one of the richest ex-Mil $$$$ super-duper arms salespeople I knew thought GWB was a complete fool. But, with personal millions at stake, was he gonna say it in a letter to the Editor?

We have a winter place in Sarasota - the very place where Trump made up his entire "Wall" falsehoods. Yet my neighbors, friends and people I volunteer with are either liberal or "true Christian" friendly. No deplorables...although I know many exist somewhere around me.

In New England my street contains quite a few Republicans...but they are mostly New England Republicans...that is, they are not deplorables. There is one completely off-the-wall character but everyone just avoids...the person whose Reading List is 100% Bill O'Reilly books.

In short, I don't measure my neighbors by political leanings but rather how they treat each other AND their LACK of dealing with politics out in the open.

Old Today, 04:20 PM

20,080 posts, read 19,067,921 times
Everyone I know agrees on things except for one neighbor who supports Trump. People just don't talk to her about politics. One day some of us were ruminating about the loss off good, discussion-type radio shows and she said, "Oh they still exist." She was referring to those right wing Rush Limbag or whatever the names are! So we just talk about other things with her.

The town is not run well though and I wish we had more regulations against building condos, assisted living, luxury senior housing where farms used to be. They're taking away our precious farm land and the traffic jams are increasing by leaps and bounds.

But the quality of life is very good with good libraries and schools, decent roads, farmers markets, crafts fairs, good fishing, parks. The towns are prosperous but I wish they'd do something about the old run down manufacturing cities. Those jobs are gone forever and something needs to be done. It's mostly Democrats here and the problems result from past craziness (don't know what party) with retirees getting really high pensions that the state can't afford to pay anymore. Any new governor gets blamed for it.

Old Today, 04:22 PM

567 posts, read 603,006 times
I’ll probably never find a place where anyone agrees with my politics. Best shot at that might be in some enclave in Mew Hampshire.

I’m not sure it would be any better than being the perpetual outsider, though.

Old Today, 04:25 PM

7,042 posts, read 3,922,736 times
Nope... I am a Republican in a sea of Democrats. The good news is we donít discuss politics.

Old Today, 04:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 7,415,562 times
I don’t talk politics with neighbors.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

6,523 posts, read 3,639,018 times
Only lived in NE PA for two years. No, I cannot speak for everyone here, but the topic of conversation first time voting last November on very long lines was TRUMP, not Governor or local candidates. It was not positive for him.

I must say though that most of the people I've met here are originally from NJ and NY, with a few from Philly. People do not change their political views based on where they move to.

Old Today, 04:33 PM
Status: ""making all of his nowhere plans for nobody..."" (set 1 day ago)

7,544 posts, read 4,530,638 times
I live in a house where I don't share a lot of political views with the folks I live with, one of whom is a long time friend. We sometimes discuss politics. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. But we always get along because that's what decent people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or