U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:40 PM
YAZ

7,098 posts, read 11,983,818 times

Advertisements

I can only tell while we're playing scrabble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 PM

2,971 posts, read 1,277,949 times
I don't know what my neighbor's politics are and I don't care. They don't know mine either and we all get along just fine.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:46 PM

2,207 posts, read 461,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I don't know what my neighbor's politics are and I don't care. They don't know mine either and we all get along just fine.
Well, they don't know yours until one of the Castro brothers blasts it across Twitter.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 PM

1,098 posts, read 391,531 times
No! Not in the least bit. I'm a right leaning Libertarian living in Seattle haha.

But you know what? I kind of enjoy the dichotomy!! Really I do. No doubt I bother them much more they bother me After all, how boring would life be it we were all the same Prius driving puppets?

Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,338,901 times
I don't really discuss politics with my neighbors. Every so often somebody will try and start something on NextDoor, but those get shut down pretty quick, thankfully. However, I do monitor political stuff in my area, so I have some idea of what's going on.

I'd say my immediate area is pretty mixed. My congressional district used to be pretty solidly Republican, but it was trending more and more blue (which many people warned the sitting congressman about), and in 2018, he lost his seat to the Democratic candidate. Now the former congressman is planning to run for mayor of the largest city in said district....which is where most of the votes against him as congressman came from. Not sure what he's thinking there, but I don't live in that city, so not on me.

Now, according to my county's official webpage, most of the registered voters are Unaffiliated (173,000). Democrats are second with 143,000. Republicans are third with 113,000.

However, I live right on the county line--as in, I walk two blocks south of my house, and I'm in the other county. The county south of me, per its website, has 103,000 Republican voters, 98,000 Unaffiliated, and 49,000 Democratic. And what's funny to me is that you can almost *see* the difference once you cross the county line. One prime example recently was a town in the other county having their annual celebration, with booths and everything. There were a *lot* of church booths and Republican party booths. But go to a similar celebration in my county, and there'd be a lack of anything religious, and maybe one or two Democratic booths, but probably a couple of the smaller parties (Green, for example) as well.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 PM

12,152 posts, read 8,727,453 times
DH is a union supporting Democrat. Me, not so much. We have always lived in deep red neighborhoods in deep red counties in deep red states.

But, things change. We haven't recently moved, but we have more blue neighbors. Could be single women property owners, both black and white.

Not much politics discussed.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:19 PM

2,045 posts, read 687,240 times
I think this forum attracts people who are in the political minority among their neighbors. It fills a need to discuss things you cannot talk about in person, even in a tangential fashion.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 PM

12,290 posts, read 5,885,284 times
Do you live in a place where your neighbors agree with your politics?

I have no idea. Donít care either. My experience is that out of staters constantly move into my neighborhood. As of today, Iím the only native Texan on my block & ive lived in my house for almost 40 years. A general rule around here appears to be that it only takes a year or so for new arrivals to work out that Taxes are low. Business is good, wages are high, Government is good & honest, schools are good, neighbors are friendly & donít care about your color or your politics or even what happens in your bedroom.

More important are things like low crime and lack of 140 year old Lead pipes.
The water is safe to drink. No riots in the streets. My city is in the top 50 largest cities in the USA.

I will say that when a primary comes around, the poor folks that man the Democrat table are very, very lonely. They may see a total of 50 voters all day, while there is a constant parade of voters at the Republican table.

Love the posts by those that decide levels of ďdeplorableĒ among their neighbors. The arrogance is on Parade with a giant helping of Smug. Very entertaining.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM

1,410 posts, read 469,374 times
My nearest neighbor is two miles through the north woods, or five miles by truck, but we agree on most politics .

Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,562,412 times
My neighbors donít know my politics I donít know theirs. Why make waves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or