U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
 
9,562 posts, read 9,349,363 times
Reputation: 12078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
This is a question I am curious about. Do most people live in a place where others agree with them politically? On the basis of either voter registration by political party and/or political party electoral dominance, do you share the political values of people in your town, county, and state? Does it impact how much or little you like where you live?

I'll start off. My username was created a few years back when I thought I would live in New Jersey forever, now I am not sure as I am trying to secure better employment. This is related, as I blame socialism for the lack of a good job market in New Jersey. New Jersey has almost 1 million more registered Democrats than Republicans, no Republican presidential candidate has carried our state since 1988, no Republican has been elected to the U.S. Senate from our state since 1972, and all but one of our Congressional districts and a majority of our State Legislature is controlled by Democrats. We currently have a Democratic Governor, but do elect Republicans every so often to that office. I spent most of my life in a solidly Republican county and community, though recently moved to a county that is trending blue though has historically been Republican.

I don't think politics impacts my appreciation and love for New Jersey's culture, food, history, charming towns, and beautiful suburban and rural landscape, but I do disagree with the misguided priorities of Democrats who would rather spend money on building a wind farm off our coast than improving our roads. I think the fact that my home county is solidly Republican made me love it more, but that's because at the county level taxes were kept lower than in neighboring Democratic counties and the county features great parks and county roads that are well-maintained by New Jersey standards. I was never a big fan of my hometown but that had more to do with the local social scene than politics.
I like your question. I spend time in two places, one agreeing, one disagreeing. It doesn't necessarily influence my enjoyment of other things - surely our appreciation, yours and mine, of food shouldn't change due to politics. But I must say that the conversation with Republicans is a lot duller. And I'm not talking about politics. I don't know any Republican who can converse interestingly about art, travel, food, literature, and many other topics.

I think you put it perfectly - and I think this is the way Republicans used to talk - when you simply say that you disagree with Democratic priorities. But I can't resist pointing out that I doubt you'd find Democrats actually being against better roads, only maybe that they they consider energy or pollution more critical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Madison, WI
4,852 posts, read 1,654,412 times
Reputation: 1066
People here are very left wing and outspoken about it, and I'm very anti-authoritarian/anti-state, so there's definitely some conflict. I find common ground and establish that I'm a rational and reasonable person before I get into my actual views, because then they actually seem surprised and interested when I drop the bomb on them.

The fun part is catching people off guard since it's such an echo chamber. I'll kind of go along with their Trump jokes, or whatever usual lefty comments they make, but once in awhile I'll defend capitalism or just flat out say something like "yeah, technically I'm an anarchist and I'm against all taxes" just to see how they react. It depends on who, where, and how much time I have though...some people are too deep into the cult of statism.

That goes for right wingers too, for the record. I have some friends and family with the usual Republican establishment views and I approach it the same way.

Last edited by T0103E; Yesterday at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
 
397 posts, read 88,666 times
Reputation: 493
Main issue I see with most of my neighbors really irks me. They can not cut their grass, clean their homes, paint their house, or have anything done that doesnt include hiring a bunch of aliens. This is a sanctuary city so that means a lot of these criminals are in my neighborhood which offends me and other law and order decent people.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Haiku
4,433 posts, read 2,670,809 times
Reputation: 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Main issue I see with most of my neighbors really irks me. They can not cut their grass, clean their homes, paint their house, or have anything done that doesnt include hiring a bunch of aliens. This is a sanctuary city so that means a lot of these criminals are in my neighborhood which offends me and other law and order decent people.....
I don't live in a sanctuary city and I hire lots of laborers off Craigslist. Not once has a Caucasian shown up to do the work, it is always Hispanics which I am fine with. I don't ask if they have green cards, I just tell them what needs to be done and pay them. My point here is it doesn't appear to me that Americans want to do the work the possibly illegals will do. And I am not paying these guys peanuts either. $20/hour per person is the minimum. If they are using weed whackers it is $25/hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,122 posts, read 54,979,803 times
Reputation: 31617
We get along well with our neighbors but have never discussed politics with any of them, so we have no idea whether they agree with us or not. We really donít care to find out because we do not hold it against people that have different political views. If we did we might never speak to some of our own family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
9,784 posts, read 10,529,967 times
Reputation: 13670
I don't bother my neighbors with politics or religion, and they don't bother me.

Not to say we don't interact, but we steer clear of touchy subjects and just stick to the "hey, need some help snow-blowing your driveway" when a blizzard rolls in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
 
725 posts, read 384,903 times
Reputation: 648
I find it interesting that so many of you answered that you don't discuss politics with your neighbors. I don't discuss it with mine either, but I do with my friends. I guess I'm not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I live in a place where almost everyone supports Trump and I don't. I've lost a lot of friends since the 2016 election and all of them were because I refuse to jump on the Trump train. One thing I've noticed about most Trump supporters in my area is they care far more about getting revenge against the liberals than any specific policy aside from abortion, LGBT issues, and now immigration (that was less of an issue when they voted for him). They could care less about his lies, incompetency, morals, or even loyalty to the country as long as he tows the line on the cultural issues they care about. They also perceive Trump as "bringing God back to America" which really means the social ostracization of anybody who doesn't fall under the white evangelical Christian umbrella.
I am sorry to hear that you are no longer friends with people because of politics. I think there is a general anxiety in the country today about economics and morals. On the economic side, our standard of living is flat at best and declining at worst because of economic conditions created by the Federal Reserve's policy of artificially low interest rates. People are working hard, but what they earn working one job isn't keeping up with the cost of health insurance, utility bills, and food. On the moral side, you have a changing culture. Younger generations are less relig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Baltimore City. That's a hard NO. These people are just oblivious. They are honest-to-God more concerned about the "rise of white supremacy" than the rampant crime, homelessness, filth and any other quality of life issue you can think of. I used to be middle-of-the road politically, until I moved here. These people are truly insane.
Interesting perspective. I do think the rise of white supremacy is a a very serious issue, but I also think that urban centers like Baltimore should do what it can do to support both the police in the fight against crime and support members of the community who are struggling. Most people in Baltimore and other cities want a good education, safe neighborhoods, a decent job, and quality of life. Successful Mayors and Councils have worked with law enforcement, the business community, labor, and members of the community on economic development, reducing crime, and doing those things to improve schools and prospects for jobs. I think the problem in some cases is, politicians look to Washington D.C. to solve problems they are in a better position to solve and/or react to policies from Washington D.C. they have no direct control over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Iíll probably never find a place where anyone agrees with my politics. Best shot at that might be in some enclave in Mew Hampshire.

Iím not sure it would be any better than being the perpetual outsider, though.
You must be a Libertarian like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Only lived in NE PA for two years. No, I cannot speak for everyone here, but the topic of conversation first time voting last November on very long lines was TRUMP, not Governor or local candidates. It was not positive for him.

I must say though that most of the people I've met here are originally from NJ and NY, with a few from Philly. People do not change their political views based on where they move to.
Interesting. Didn't Trump do well in NE PA? If Biden is the nominee, he is going to do well there in 2020 I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I live in a house where I don't share a lot of political views with the folks I live with, one of whom is a long time friend. We sometimes discuss politics. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. But we always get along because that's what decent people do.
I live in a house where I disagree with everyone. And they are my family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
No! Not in the least bit. I'm a right leaning Libertarian living in Seattle haha.


But you know what? I kind of enjoy the dichotomy!! Really I do. No doubt I bother them much more they bother me After all, how boring would life be it we were all the same Prius driving puppets?
Very true, gotta keep things interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
My nearest neighbor is two miles through the north woods, or five miles by truck, but we agree on most politics .
Sounds like a perfect place!


Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Been through there many times and it is beautiful. I 80 in New Jersey also blows I-80 in Pa and NY away.

As for the rest. Well where I lived we had 3 different transplant families from New Jersey. Everyone knew their politics because they planted signs in their yards. They were true blues. lol

They moved to the area at different times and from different parts of New Jersey. Besides New Jersey and being proud democrats they also had 1 thing in common. They loved to feud with their neighbors and most especially with each other. They tried to control everybody and make us all change to be like them. That didn't work.

Now I don't assume that all Jersey people are the same, nor do I assume that all democrats behave like the New Jersey people that transplanted to our area.

I also don't think that New Jersey is all that. I have been to Patterson and Newark and they are not a pretty sight. Ill say this though. Newark airport is about as easy as it comes to get in out of. Too bad their flights are always late. I stopped using them after the third time in a row.
Well, I can tell you I am not a Democrat looking to convert everyone to my way of thinking haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
 
725 posts, read 384,903 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I like your question. I spend time in two places, one agreeing, one disagreeing. It doesn't necessarily influence my enjoyment of other things - surely our appreciation, yours and mine, of food shouldn't change due to politics. But I must say that the conversation with Republicans is a lot duller. And I'm not talking about politics. I don't know any Republican who can converse interestingly about art, travel, food, literature, and many other topics.

I think you put it perfectly - and I think this is the way Republicans used to talk - when you simply say that you disagree with Democratic priorities. But I can't resist pointing out that I doubt you'd find Democrats actually being against better roads, only maybe that they they consider energy or pollution more critical.
Thank you for your feedback and interesting perspective.

With regards to your comment about better roads, I agree. In my state, there are some really good Democrats who serve as Mayors and Council members. But our Democratic Governors (and in some cases Republicans as well to be fair) have wasted money on pet projects or things that aren't necessary while our state's trust fund for infrastructure has been drained. Unfortunately, Democrats and even some establishment Republicans in the State Legislature have also failed to deliver better roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
 
15,949 posts, read 4,220,340 times
Reputation: 11353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Main issue I see with most of my neighbors really irks me. They can not cut their grass, clean their homes, paint their house, or have anything done that doesnt include hiring a bunch of aliens. This is a sanctuary city so that means a lot of these criminals are in my neighborhood which offends me and other law and order decent people.....
A good Patriotic Nationalist would turn them all in.

Me? I'd get their phone number.....although I am a DIY guy and used two top-notch army vets to trim my trees and a woman owned local biz for my A/C.

It's amazing how different people are...maybe due to life experience? I worked as a roofer, a framer, in demolition and in various other trades. When I see the Mexicans or Guatemalans working locally or in the 7-11 I look at them with respect. To me it would be your lazy neighbors I'd have LESS respect for (of course, many people are older or sick, etc. and need work done).

I would never card a worker, but then again most anyone I would use is state licensed and insured and has a reputation, so I just assume that is their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
637 posts, read 607,907 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
You must be a Libertarian like me
Nominally. If I must check a box, then thatís the one Iíll check, though Iím more of a small l than a large l libertarian. Itís one of the reasons I also try to deflect a bit, because otherwise itís a constant barrage of eyebrow raises, explaining, devolving into debates I just donít want to have with most people.

On the other hand, I donít think Iíd want to live around a bunch of libertarians either. So many are persnickety, odd folks that Iíd rather have a bunch of Demicans and/or Republicrats living around me.


Fun fact: NJ is the only place I have ever seen with a road named John Galt. Surprised the heck out of me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top