U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:06 AM
 
1,186 posts, read 227,374 times
Reputation: 768

Advertisements

I have two black neighbors to the south and the neighbor to the north has a sticker on his car that says GOP & Trump are traitors, so no. But I can still get along with them and don't go out of my way to throw politics in their face. The one neighbor to the south is probably racist but I don't let him drag me into conversations about that. NOthing positive would come of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:07 AM
 
7,368 posts, read 2,670,300 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I live in a blue city within a swing state. My neighbors are leftists for the most part. So, no, they don't agree with my politics.
This.

To this I would add, my family (both sides) swing mostly left, some right, and none of them including my wife are down with my anarchism. To be logically and morally consistent in politics is to be alone on an island.

You get used to it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 AM
 
2,187 posts, read 459,266 times
Reputation: 2017
One positive thing about Baltimore: I have two stickers on my car - one is an oval that says "GOP" and the other is an NRA lifetime member sticker.


My car has never one time been vandalized. Broken into yes, vandalized no. I think that's miraculous given the political makeup of this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
7,305 posts, read 7,950,015 times
Reputation: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right, because Harvard Trained Lawyers and Constitutional Scholars vs. Reality TV Real Estate Con man....we KNOW the Harvard Man is going to not know things....
More harm has been done to the United States by the educated elite than by any other group, and education has little to do with my distaste for either Obama or Hillary. For that matter, Trump’s education level has no bearing on my distaste for him.

Ironically, the Obama presidency holds a large portion of the blame for Trump’s election. That doesn’t change the fact that America got screwed over by both of the major parties in 2016. Neither Trump nor Hillary should have even been a contender for their respective party’s nomination. Yet, that’s who the major parties shoved down our throats. We were given the choice between the most disliked and untrusted woman in Washington who promised to continue the Obama policies that were “fundamentally transforming” America, a narcissistic jackass who at least offered the possibility of a better future, and a few third party candidates that, while in some cases were more presidential than either, got so little airtime that they may as well have been nonexistent. It turned into a partisan battle over who could elect the biggest *******. Idiocracy has, in fact, become a documentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:19 AM
 
6,141 posts, read 1,585,915 times
Reputation: 4856
Generally no. I live in Illinois and I am conservative so do the math. The liberals are very out there with their politics and the conservatives keep to themselves because they will be called racist, etc...blah, blah. However, the conservatives are starting to reach out behind the scenes to each other because they are generally fed up, especially in Illinois.

Last edited by Grlzrl; 08-14-2019 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,464 posts, read 3,359,889 times
Reputation: 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
More harm has been done to the United States by the educated elite than by any other group, and education has little to do with my distaste for either Obama or Hillary. For that matter, Trump’s education level has no bearing on my distaste for him.

Ironically, the Obama presidency holds a large portion of the blame for Trump’s election. That doesn’t change the fact that America got screwed over by both of the major parties in 2016. Neither Trump nor Hillary should have even been a contender for their respective party’s nomination. Yet, that’s who the major parties shoved down our throats. We were given the choice between the most disliked and untrusted woman in Washington who promised to continue the Obama policies that were “fundamentally transforming” America, a narcissistic jackass who at least offered the possibility of a better future, and a few third party candidates that, while in some cases were more presidential than either, got so little airtime that they may as well have been nonexistent. It turned into a partisan battle over who could elect the biggest *******. Idiocracy has, in fact, become a documentary.
There is truth in what you say but the GOP fought tooth and nail to keep Trump from getting the nomination. He was not shoved down our throats. That may actually bolster your idiocracy analogy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM
 
6,141 posts, read 1,585,915 times
Reputation: 4856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
More harm has been done to the United States by the educated elite than by any other group, and education has little to do with my distaste for either Obama or Hillary. For that matter, Trump’s education level has no bearing on my distaste for him.

Ironically, the Obama presidency holds a large portion of the blame for Trump’s election. That doesn’t change the fact that America got screwed over by both of the major parties in 2016. Neither Trump nor Hillary should have even been a contender for their respective party’s nomination. Yet, that’s who the major parties shoved down our throats. We were given the choice between the most disliked and untrusted woman in Washington who promised to continue the Obama policies that were “fundamentally transforming” America, a narcissistic jackass who at least offered the possibility of a better future, and a few third party candidates that, while in some cases were more presidential than either, got so little airtime that they may as well have been nonexistent. It turned into a partisan battle over who could elect the biggest *******. Idiocracy has, in fact, become a documentary.
Are you serious? Trump won fair and square. The party didn't shove him down our throats. They fought tooth and nail against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,798 posts, read 20,005,693 times
Reputation: 13775
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Do most people live in a place where others agree with them politically?
No, I don't. I am center right politically. But I live in a highly liberal jurisdiction. Pretty much any urban area in America is.

I simply avoid discussions about politics. No need to put myself in the lion's den. Plenty of other things to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 AM
 
6,471 posts, read 5,560,364 times
Reputation: 8971
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Yes, all of us are on the same page and we talk about it frequently. If someone isn't they sure are keeping quiet about it. Actually my whole county is as well. We are not just Red, but a deep shade of Red.
Same here, in Western Pennsylvania. Everybody I know hated Obama, and I don't know anyone who supported Hillary. We went solid red in '16, and likely will again in '20. No one wants illegal aliens or refugees bused to our town, translators in our schools, or our guns confiscated (we have a huge gun culture). Liberals would probably call our attitudes "racist", "white supremacist", or "xenophobic". This would result in an eye roll or shrug. Whatever. We are what we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
67,959 posts, read 34,723,666 times
Reputation: 14666
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
This is a question I am curious about. Do most people live in a place where others agree with them politically? On the basis of either voter registration by political party and/or political party electoral dominance, do you share the political values of people in your town, county, and state? Does it impact how much or little you like where you live?

I'll start off. My username was created a few years back when I thought I would live in New Jersey forever, now I am not sure as I am trying to secure better employment. This is related, as I blame socialism for the lack of a good job market in New Jersey. New Jersey has almost 1 million more registered Democrats than Republicans, no Republican presidential candidate has carried our state since 1988, no Republican has been elected to the U.S. Senate from our state since 1972, and all but one of our Congressional districts and a majority of our State Legislature is controlled by Democrats. We currently have a Democratic Governor, but do elect Republicans every so often to that office. I spent most of my life in a solidly Republican county and community, though recently moved to a county that is trending blue though has historically been Republican.

I don't think politics impacts my appreciation and love for New Jersey's culture, food, history, charming towns, and beautiful suburban and rural landscape, but I do disagree with the misguided priorities of Democrats who would rather spend money on building a wind farm off our coast than improving our roads. I think the fact that my home county is solidly Republican made me love it more, but that's because at the county level taxes were kept lower than in neighboring Democratic counties and the county features great parks and county roads that are well-maintained by New Jersey standards. I was never a big fan of my hometown but that had more to do with the local social scene than politics.

I'm a speck of red in a lake of blue, in the land of red. Most cities are like that.
But, with that said, I know the neighbor to the left of me and the neighbor across the street are, maybe more conservative than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top