U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be the penalty for possessing a stolen or black market gun?
Republican: Confiscation & Warning 0 0%
Democrat: Confiscation & Warning 1 5.26%
Republican: 1-2 Years Prison 2 10.53%
Democrat: 1-2 Years Prison 1 5.26%
Republican 3-5 Years Prison 7 36.84%
Democrat 3-5 Years Prison 0 0%
Republican: 6+ Years Prison 7 36.84%
Democrat: 6+ Years Prison 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

25,196 posts, read 9,825,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why would you think that someone who's gone through the trouble of planning to kill someone with a gun would care about 6 years on top of the time they'll get for attempted murder?
What in the world?

How did you get all that from the OP's question?
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Stealing or knowingly receiving stolen goods is against the law. It's up to the entity what to charge and sentence, especially if it was used in the commission of a crime or not. There's too many variables to make it a single choice.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

6,946 posts, read 3,459,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What in the world?

How did you get all that from the OP's question?
Bc I've been around these threads before? You think OP wants to jack up prison time bc John Doe wants to protect his home? He's trying to deter all the illegal guns being kept in gun safes?

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

384 posts, read 87,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Knowingly whether the person stole it from a house or car or went to the dark web to buy an illegal gun
I'd probably just go with the current laws on knowingly buying stolen property.

Perhaps boost the charge to the felony variety even for cheaper firearms, although I think it only take $250 to hit that level in a lot of places.

Not much in the way of new law needed.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

9,967 posts, read 21,233,706 times
Depends on if it's a 14 year old new gang member stealing it or the king pin of the Bloods or Crips. If they're really young rehab them rather than give them a rap sheet that forces them out of legal employment for life.

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

6,946 posts, read 3,459,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Stealing a gun or buying one on the black market doesn't mean they plan on killing someone or doing a mass murder. There are thousands of guns stolen every day, most are used in robberies. I personally think the penalty should be very stiff.
Okay. And what are you going to accomplish with that? People are going to 2nd guess stealing a gun bc of an extra 6 years?

1,311 posts, read 617,505 times
Harsh punishment...

It's so easy to do it the right way, why wouldn't someone?

If you're a convicted felon, tough ***** I don't feel sorry for you.

18,304 posts, read 18,058,640 times
I ask this question because I'm open to more gun regulations contingent upon stricter enforcement on those who break the law. It's my fear that Democrats who tend to be more relax on crimes, will give free passes to violators, which would just put the average person at risk while making it more difficult for them to protect themselves against said violators.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

7,043 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Shoot off a toe...

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

9,562 posts, read 9,349,363 times
It's interesting that your choices are really only between prison and nothing.

What if there were a massive fine?

What if there was mandated community service for gun victims?

What if there were a blacklist that would escalate punishment, also punish anyone who sold the person more guns, and have escalating bans on legal purchases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or