U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be the penalty for possessing a stolen or black market gun?
Republican: Confiscation & Warning 1 4.55%
Democrat: Confiscation & Warning 1 4.55%
Republican: 1-2 Years Prison 2 9.09%
Democrat: 1-2 Years Prison 1 4.55%
Republican 3-5 Years Prison 9 40.91%
Democrat 3-5 Years Prison 0 0%
Republican: 6+ Years Prison 7 31.82%
Democrat: 6+ Years Prison 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

1,313 posts, read 617,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I ask this question because I'm open to more gun regulations contingent upon stricter enforcement on those who break the law. It's my fear that Democrats who tend to be more relax on crimes, will give free passes to violators, which would just put the average person at risk while making it more difficult for them to protect themselves against said violators.
Democrats I would think want the harshest punishment since many are anti-gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

9,979 posts, read 4,699,889 times
Black market gun..no such thing
Stolen gun, depends. If they steal it from me.....execution.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

9,049 posts, read 2,572,288 times
No options for Independents so I couldn't vote.

I am for dropping the hammer on anyone caught with an illegal firearm. I am a gun owner and love to shoot, but I detest criminals.

I would also advocate mandatory death penalty for anyone using a gun legal or otherwise in the commission of a violent crime.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

3,918 posts, read 1,525,238 times
should be?
in my opinion?
ok, i will play....

if the adult possession is proved in court: felony. serve time. no vote no guns/ammo for the rest of possessor's life.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

4,855 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I ask this question because I'm open to more gun regulations contingent upon stricter enforcement on those who break the law. It's my fear that Democrats who tend to be more relax on crimes, will give free passes to violators, which would just put the average person at risk while making it more difficult for them to protect themselves against said violators.
I'm not sure what you want? Most of the time stolen weapons are found during the commission of another crime or raid on a suspect. Additional time can be added for possession of stolen weapons, depending on the crime committed it may not matter that much and will likely be served concurrently to any other sentence.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

2,979 posts, read 2,064,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's interesting that your choices are really only between prison and nothing.

What if there were a massive fine?

What if there was mandated community service for gun victims?

What if there were a blacklist that would escalate punishment, also punish anyone who sold the person more guns, and have escalating bans on legal purchases?
I would add long term electronic monitoring (i.e. an ankle bracelet), and required registration of a person's address that is publicly available. The public really needs to know who these people are so that they can be kept under close watch, as someone who steals a firearm(s) is an eminent threat to public safety, and as mentioned, that's probably just the tip of the iceberg for what they're involved in.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

398 posts, read 88,666 times
No matter where he gets the gun, He should not be allowed to carry it away from his home unless he has a special use permit... If caught with it and NO PERMIT then a firm 5 years jail time. The key is to control their use not control who has them.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

9,049 posts, read 2,572,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
No matter where he gets the gun, He should not be allowed to carry it away from his home unless he has a special use permit... If caught with it and NO PERMIT then a firm 5 years jail time. The key is to control their use not control who has them.
What is a special use permit?
For what category of firearms?
How is a gun owner supposed to practice with their firearm under such regulations?

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

4,855 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
So you would put someone in jail for 5 years because he didn't have a card on him? You do realize someone can do as little as 12 months for involuntary manslaughter? Or even 4 months for aggravated assault?

Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

398 posts, read 88,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So you would put someone in jail for 5 years who didn't have a card on him? You do realize someone can do as little as 12 months for involuntary manslaughter? Or even 4 months for aggravated assault?
Most of the killings are being done by people who have no business with a gun in public. If the thugs doing "drive bys" know they better not be caught with a gun it can make a difference.Not having a "card" on them isnt the issue. Only people with carry permits who have been checked should have permission to have a gun with them when away from their homes. Our laws I agree are not strong enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or