U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be the penalty for possessing a stolen or black market gun?
Republican: Confiscation & Warning 1 4.55%
Democrat: Confiscation & Warning 1 4.55%
Republican: 1-2 Years Prison 2 9.09%
Democrat: 1-2 Years Prison 1 4.55%
Republican 3-5 Years Prison 9 40.91%
Democrat 3-5 Years Prison 0 0%
Republican: 6+ Years Prison 7 31.82%
Democrat: 6+ Years Prison 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

4,855 posts, read 1,275,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Most of the killings are being done by people who have no business with a gun in public. If the thugs doing "drive bys" know they better not be caught with a gun it can make a difference.Not having a "card" on them isnt the issue. Only people with carry permits who have been checked should have permission to have a gun with them when away from their homes. Our laws I agree are not strong enough.
Most of the killings are done by people who would never get a card in the first place, so you would jail someone based on not having a card. Someone who will take up space that doesn't belong there. Now they are not at home caring for their family, going to work, paying taxes. Thugs don't care about your card.

This is what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

52,331 posts, read 42,092,330 times
Well OP, you didn't give us independents a voting option but I'd go along with a Felony charge but with sentencing latitude dependent upon their other offenses and the judges ability to look at the whole situation.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 2,670,809 times
I don't get the Repub/Democrat thing. Are you saying a different penalty depending the politics of the perp?

At any rate I imagine this would be treated as simple stolen property unless the guy is a felon in which case he would be in a lot of trouble wherever the gun came from.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. Just because it is a stolen gun doesn't mean the possessor is a heinous criminal. He/she might just be stupid. Or got tricked by whoever sold the gun to him. The important thing is whether he is up to no good and they will figure that out when they sentence him and give out the appropriate sentence.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

11,194 posts, read 4,940,917 times
I don't think there should be any restrictions on buying them.

But anyone who steals or knowingly accepts a stolen gun or uses it to threaten others = death penalty

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

35,730 posts, read 32,470,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
They should have to listen to Ted Nugent on a loop continuously for five years.
Or read all your posts on CD. Same thing except the whole talent thingy with fans.

Guns get bought and sold all the time that the background is hazy. No one should do time for that.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

6,954 posts, read 3,459,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I ask this question because I'm open to more gun regulations contingent upon stricter enforcement on those who break the law. It's my fear that Democrats who tend to be more relax on crimes, will give free passes to violators, which would just put the average person at risk while making it more difficult for them to protect themselves against said violators.
The issue with this approach is that it's not preventative, especially for the people you're targeting. You're talking about punishing someone who's willing to commit murder, with a few more years for gun possession. They don't care.

Old Today, 12:53 AM

6,821 posts, read 3,775,202 times
Knowingly possessing or acquiring (non-theft) of stolen or black market guns alone should not result in prison but they should (mandatorily) lose any guns, gun access, and gun rights and be under supervision for a period of time. Using a gun in a crime should be mandatory consecutive prison term for a set period of years (set by the judge) without parole (consecutive to any other prison term).

Old Today, 12:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 973,442 times
Possession without intent or knowledge breaks no laws, so none of your options.

Old Today, 03:19 AM

3,315 posts, read 1,334,093 times
It depends upon what you are referring to when you call a firearm a "black market gun". If you are referring to unregistered firearms, well I'm going to be guilty as hell because almost all of my firearms were acquired before a law requiring firearms to be registered. Even person to person sales is perfectly legal in many/most States without any form of background check nor a federal or State transfer that registers the firearm. So what is a black market firearm?

Even the possession of a stolen firearm, when the person in possession purchased it from another person believing it to be a legal firearm, is sketchy as hell because if I was buying it from someone I didn't know (and I won't buy from people I think are meth addicts or otherwise sketchy people) I will simply require they provide me with a bill of sale that includes their contact info, matching what is on their driver's license or State issued ID, a description of the firearm and the serial number, along with a sworn statement that the firearm is not stolen. I do this for my protection so that in a worst case scenario, all that will happen is the LEO involved will confiscate the firearm and return it to its rightful owner.

In most cases of a criminal act, the law requires "intent". Do LEOs or prosecutors lock up pawn shop owners every time they are found to have a stolen item? The answer is no, they don't. So why the hell would you expect them to charge an individual with possession of a stolen firearm when the individual has taken the steps necessary to prove they purchased the firearm and that the purchase was, as far as they knew, perfectly legal?

Furthermore, if I'm buying or selling to a family member or someone I know and trust, there might not even be a bill of sale because the only time I need or demand a bill of sale is when I'm involved in covering my tail and I don't typically need that from people I trust.

This whole poll comes down to the OP wanting, no demanding a federal law on registering every firearm. If and when that crap ever becomes law, I'm going to instantly become a criminal because I refuse to register any of my firearms. My firearms are there to protect me, my family, friends and neighbors from criminals and tyrants... the worst of which cloak themselves under the guise of government.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

10,988 posts, read 2,844,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
It depends upon what you are referring to when you call a firearm a "black market gun". If you are referring to unregistered firearms, well I'm going to be guilty as hell because almost all of my firearms were acquired before a law requiring firearms to be registered. Even person to person sales is perfectly legal in many/most States without any form of background check nor a federal or State transfer that registers the firearm. So what is a black market firearm?

Even the possession of a stolen firearm, when the person in possession purchased it from another person believing it to be a legal firearm, is sketchy as hell because if I was buying it from someone I didn't know (and I won't buy from people I think are meth addicts or otherwise sketchy people) I will simply require they provide me with a bill of sale that includes their contact info, matching what is on their driver's license or State issued ID, a description of the firearm and the serial number, along with a sworn statement that the firearm is not stolen. I do this for my protection so that in a worst case scenario, all that will happen is the LEO involved will confiscate the firearm and return it to its rightful owner.

In most cases of a criminal act, the law requires "intent". Do LEOs or prosecutors lock up pawn shop owners every time they are found to have a stolen item? The answer is no, they don't. So why the hell would you expect them to charge an individual with possession of a stolen firearm when the individual has taken the steps necessary to prove they purchased the firearm and that the purchase was, as far as they knew, perfectly legal?

Furthermore, if I'm buying or selling to a family member or someone I know and trust, there might not even be a bill of sale because the only time I need or demand a bill of sale is when I'm involved in covering my tail and I don't typically need that from people I trust.

This whole poll comes down to the OP wanting, no demanding a federal law on registering every firearm. If and when that crap ever becomes law, I'm going to instantly become a criminal because I refuse to register any of my firearms. My firearms are there to protect me, my family, friends and neighbors from criminals and tyrants... the worst of which cloak themselves under the guise of government.
I have to imagine many police depts know the local pawn shops are buying and selling stolen goods, its normally the first place they look when they are searching for something reported stolen, like high dollar tools, stereos, etc. Thats just the nature of pawn shops. Its not really practical or realistic to prevent this kind of thing entirely.

Its sort of like the metal recycling centers, lots of scrap thieves unload their stolen metals at these places (copper, aluminum, etc), even though they are not legally allowed to accept material from someone that cannot verify they own it, police do their best, but LOTS of stolen metal still ends up at these recycling centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or