U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be the penalty for possessing a stolen or black market gun?
Republican: Confiscation & Warning 1 4.55%
Democrat: Confiscation & Warning 1 4.55%
Republican: 1-2 Years Prison 2 9.09%
Democrat: 1-2 Years Prison 1 4.55%
Republican 3-5 Years Prison 9 40.91%
Democrat 3-5 Years Prison 0 0%
Republican: 6+ Years Prison 7 31.82%
Democrat: 6+ Years Prison 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:04 AM

7,115 posts, read 2,585,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm asking what you think should be the penalty, not what current law states.
What is the penalty for possessing a stolen lawn mower? What is the penalty for buying a lawn mower off the grey/black market?

What is the penalty for possessing a stolen coffee table? What is the penalty for buying a coffee table off the grey/black market?

Whatever those penalties are, it should the same for guns, since a gun is nothing more than one of infinite forms of private property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:26 AM

35,730 posts, read 32,470,899 times
I bought my first surf board from a swap meet only to find out later it was a stolen custom board. There is absolutely no way to tie a stolen anything to anyone unless you have absolute proof like camera footage. It wasn't until recently we even required documentation for a firearm sale and not even that much further in history a distinct serial number. Many guns were give a batch number and before that no number. How do you trace that? You can't.

The penalty should be confiscation (return to owner) just like you would with any stolen item unless proof otherwise.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

30,052 posts, read 15,669,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
What should be the penalty for knowingly possessing a stolen or black market gun?
The DNC would need to know the race stats first.

Old Today, 07:48 AM

14,449 posts, read 11,744,100 times
Well, a lot of the weapons in gang hands that they are caught with from time to time have been stolen from the military or smuggled in stolen from some other countries military or bought from military personnel either command or enlisted from here or abroad. Mexico is a biggy for this.

Far more stolen military weapons are out there than ones stolen from citizens. Possession of stolen military weapons is already an extra penalty with more added on if it is full auto. Same with foreign weapons. Add on more if they have explosives or destructive devices like grenades.

A lot of people have been known to buy a weapon off the street for protection if they feel their lives and those of their family are in danger. With no time for a 14 day wait and no money for permits and other fees and taxes to me that is a mitigating circumstance.

So what penalties should be in the case in question I suppose it depends. I can't blame anyone for wanting to protect their loved ones and themselves from criminal threat and if their only option is a weapon off the street so be it. If I were so desperate I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

10,478 posts, read 6,367,971 times
Didn't vote, don't like the answers. I lean right and there is more to it than what you listed.

What is the definition of a "black market" firearm ?

If it is simply unregistered and one doesn't have a record, they get 30 days to register it legally (here in MI, handguns are registered)

If it is an unregistered handgun with the serial numbers ground off and one has a felony record, mandatory 10 years (5 years if no prior felonies), no plea bargains. Second offence 20 years

If one is underage , carrying a handgun, mandatory 5 years, as a felony , no plea bargains.

Old Today, 06:22 PM

1,314 posts, read 617,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
What is the penalty for possessing a stolen lawn mower? What is the penalty for buying a lawn mower off the grey/black market?

What is the penalty for possessing a stolen coffee table? What is the penalty for buying a coffee table off the grey/black market?

Whatever those penalties are, it should the same for guns, since a gun is nothing more than one of infinite forms of private property.
Not sure I agree here. Coffee tables and lawn mowers aren't lethal weapons used in crimes.

All I know is I wouldn't even get near a stolen or a gun with no serial #.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If it is an unregistered handgun with the serial numbers ground off and one has a felony record, mandatory 10 years (5 years if no prior felonies), no plea bargains. Second offence 20 years

If one is underage , carrying a handgun, mandatory 5 years, as a felony , no plea bargains.
Holy Moly. I knew the penalties are severe, but no plea deals? 10 years, absolutely no way to plea that down? Then half the time on Live PD they bust felons with guns. Felons don't seem to be too bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or