Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 12:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

With the money I save buying Chinese goods Ivan go out to local restaurants and movie theaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
I hve a Volvo which I love and its own by a chinese company. I will never own an American brad car. They re still crappy in my book. My stuff are either Japanese, German or Chinese. I hardly have anything specifically American made except my food and my dogs food. The fish food for my ornamental fish are made in Canada.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:10 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Title says "people are buying US made items". We are talking about manufacturing of consumer products. US labor is still no longer competitive in that sector. We export Food, Oil, Aircraft, parts, industrial machines and pharma.

Typical family household relies on a lot of products that are no longer made in the US and as many already stated in this thread, no US made alternatives. Automobiles is one of the products that still are widely available to the American consumer.. other than that there isn't much... for which all of my vehicles are for the most part US made.

There are many examples of cities that are now derelict because manufacturing was outsourced. One prime example was textiles. Why outsourced? Because again... US labor isn't competitive (due to a variety of reasons not all are in control of the laborer)
Did you read my post #64?

Old 08-17-2019, 07:11 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Until very recently, nearly every Trump Org retail product was made anywhere but the US. This includes clothing, leather goods, jewelry, commercial furniture, bedding etc..

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b01696c6a24918
( tons of other links behind paywalls

Legacy human rights violations in foreign factories that produced Trump org products are legendary.

It was precious when Kellyanne urged Fox News viewers to buy Ivanka’s made anywhere but the US products.

Trump Org recently closed most of these businesses due to lousy optics and ongoing questions about the sources of capital.
It is kind of odd how capitalists speak out of both sides of their mouths.
They tout the benevolence of capitalism where no force is used and all parties have free choice and then hop in bed with countries where force is used on workers and human rights violations are common.

Then there is the military used to strongarm countries into playing the game our way rather than through free choice of their own.

China bull dozed millions of their citizens homes and said, head to the cities to make widgets. That is a violation of capitalism.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I actively avoid buying Chinese consumer goods if I can. Sometimes I can't, though. In those cases, I try to buy from an American retailer.

BTW, US brand cars are not necessarily made in the US, and I know of NO US brand cars that don't include parts from Japan, Germany, Mexico, etc., and, no doubt, from China.

For me, it's not a tariff/price issue.

While I'm sure that Chinese high-end manufacturing is world-class, their consumer goods often suck. It's also an issue of human rights, many (most?) Chinese factories producing consumer goods are essentially slave operations.

I've been making these choices for a good 20 years. I didn't require Trump to become aware of these issues. I learned about them in places like Mother Jones.
A true blood capitalist where everyone has free choice would not agree with our trade policies with many countries where free will is absent and force is used on the workers.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I do, I do!

I've only bought one Norinco rifle out of my many!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Nothing is TOTALLY made in America that’s anyone who thinks that is a fool.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Check out Hobby Lobby’s inventory.

Hard - pressed to find anything on the shelves NOT made in China.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't see how Autos are widely available unless you include Japanese, Korean, European and Chinese factories which are here....

Ford stopped making sedans...and Ford has went overseas for parts, engineering, entire vehicles and a lot of other stuff.

There are so many definitions here....are the raw materials from here? Is the corporation owned by Americans?

The Camry is the "most American car"...which sorta makes that whole thing a joke.

The Textile thing....well, that's my family business. It had zero to do with workers, who weren't making anything above a lower-middle class (if that!) living. I'd say NONE of the reasons were the labor....

The reasons were the same that caused every industry to move - bean-counters at the top in all the major corporations. They (Sears, Walmart, Etc.) all insisted that small business (vendors) move overseas...

IMHO, if we look at this as "bad" (and that is questionable given the success of Boston, NYC, Silicon Valley, LA, etc. in economic terms), then there is no one responsible directly other than the top dogs and Wall Street.

The stock became more important than the product in about 1970 and that was that. Why worry about the hard work of making something if a hostile buyout can create more "wealth" in a day than working for years?

Today most Americans still worship the almighty buck....the people were conned into it. They took it and swallowed it whole.

The silliest part of all of this is that anyone thinks they can change what already is LONG over. There is zero hope of that - and, it really doesn't matter anyway since future factories (and even present ones) use massive automation and so will not have the need for vast numbers of employees.

Besides, Reagan and other busted all the Unions so any line jobs are going to pay as little as possible and force people to work harder and harder. That's the way our system works.
Yep, we got sold out by the moneychangers.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I go to some trouble, but it's difficult sometimes. Shoes are pretty hard outside of higher end leather boots (there is New Balance and a few European brands of athletic shoes). Clothes are practically impossible. Hand tools are easy, cordless are impossible outside of Snap-on. I doubt I'll ever buy a late-model car again, so no worries. Anything that uses electricity, pretty darned hard to avoid China.

You gotta wonder what sort of public policy sent the US down the road where we can't make our own shoes or washing machines anymore. It's a national security issue at this point.
Most companies are concerned about one thing: Their bottom line. $$$$$$. The name of the game is cheap labor. It isn't that we can't manufacture goods in the USA. It is that many companies don't want to. They don't want to pay American labor American wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies