U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 09:33 AM

11,756 posts, read 8,559,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For the most part I look at value first. For food items or pet items, I do not buy anything made in China. NOW, as with so many things (like supplements), sometimes the ingredients DO come from China, but there is only so much one can do.

I've always had Japanese cars and love them, for trucks we stay American (but yeah, parts come from all different countries).

Appliances? Who knows, the house came with Kitchen Aid. Is that American? Because almost everything has broke one way or another within 4 years. I suppose it is like vehicles, parts are made all over.

Otherwise a bunch of stuff is from China, and haven't ever had a big problem. Some of the stuff is 50% (or more) less than local brands and I love it. Is that taking from Americans? Nope, because if it was at the more expensive price....... I just would not buy it.
I had a long lasting relationship with Kitchen Aide due to replacing all the appliances in a 25 yo house we bought.

I finally gave up and replaced the 3 yo dishwasher. The installer guy came in the kitchen, saw my dishwasher and said why are you getting a new dishwasher? As he got closer and saw the name on it, he said "OH, I know why".

Hobart, a fine company, owned Kitchen aide. They sold it to Whirlpool, who also does Jennaire and Maytag. By the time I finally gave up and replaced the frig everything was being made in China . Bought a Kenmore Elite. Guess who made it, Kitchen Aide? I got the 5 year warranty. I have had no trouble with the Kenmore stuff I bought 5 years ago for this house. Consumer Report said their induction cooktop was the best. It's not. The Bosch I put in the old house was better. But DD has had nothing but trouble with a Bosch dishwasher. Buying anything these days is rolling the dice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 14 days ago)

12,479 posts, read 6,507,401 times
For the overwhelming majority of my purchases, I'm certainly not checking the country of origin of an item. For those items that I do (and I do so for cars and some other big ticket items), I'll only check where item is made, not the country of manufacturer as we have many foreign cars being made right here in the USA by American workers.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 AM

32,220 posts, read 20,317,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I But DD has had nothing but trouble with a Bosch dishwasher. Buying anything these days is rolling the dice.
Ain't it the truth? I just WISH that paying more for something guaranteed a better quality (especially for big ticket items), but it doesn't, and that's frustrating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-17-2019, 10:27 AM

22,756 posts, read 11,740,272 times
If we just want jobs we can pay five million people to dig holes and five million more to fill them up.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,192 posts, read 55,056,423 times
It's just too much work to determine where something was made, and in many cases there is no USA made product. If we stopped all imports immediately, there are many items that would just not be available any more, such as your jeans. The most "American made" car (Jeep Cherokee) is made in Illinois but still has 28% foreign made parts in it. Then, of course, many of the foreign made products are better quality than the domestic ones.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...usa/ss-AACuHkl

Old 08-17-2019, 01:28 PM

4,171 posts, read 6,458,137 times
The problem is that in most cases there is no American alternative today. Americans can thank themselves for the situation. In the 1970's we had a fuel crisis and most had to wait in lines at gas stations for hours to get a few gallons of gas. There was even every other day rationing. Some people dumped their v8 American gas guzzlers in favor of the 4 cyc Japanese cars. These Japanese cars were mostly junk but they got better gas mileage. The Japanese realized they had a market in the US for their cars if they gave Americans what they wanted and they did just that. At the same time American car manufacturers continued right along with the big v8. You know what happened next. Not long after that it was not only cars, but electronics, clothes, and everything else.

Americans also bought by price. They never considered that the American product they were buying supported American families. They opted out for the low price of foreign goods. Many businesses were forced to shut down or move their manufacturing to a country that had cheap labor. Once Walmart only carried American made products. Today I doubt you could find an American made product at Walmart. Americans made their decisions at the cash register and it was clear they wanted cheap foreign made goods.

Not to long ago we had real leather shoes that lasted for years and even decades. These shoes had leather heels and soles that were replaceable and people took good care of those shoes. Since then they have been replaced with high priced throw-aways and almost all of them foreign made.

Even the American flag is made in China and let's not forget Bibles are made their too.

When you see the shuttered manufacturing of the past in our cities and wonder why they are no longer in business look no further than American greed. Just maybe, if Americans started insisting on American made products and were willing to pay the higher price for those goods, American manufacturing could make a big comeback.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:39 PM

32,220 posts, read 20,317,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

When you see the shuttered manufacturing of the past in our cities and wonder why they are no longer in business look no further than American greed. Just maybe, if Americans started insisting on American made products and were willing to pay the higher price for those goods, American manufacturing could make a big comeback.
I don't get how you see this, AND record unemployment and more jobs than people looking for them.

And while I can only speak for myself, if most non-essential things went up in price, I simply wouldn't buy them. My discretionary spending money is limited, like most.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM

37,753 posts, read 16,348,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Nothing is TOTALLY made in America thatís anyone who thinks that is a fool.
That makes YOU the FOOL!

Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Most companies are concerned about one thing: Their bottom line. $$$$$$. The name of the game is cheap labor. It isn't that we can't manufacture goods in the USA. It is that many companies don't want to. They don't want to pay American labor American wages.
"Most companies are concerned about one thing: Their bottom line. $$$$$$."

What do you think they should be concerned about?

If you DON'T make a PROFIT, you go OUR OF BUSINESS.

"It isn't that we can't manufacture goods in the USA"

We ARE the NO.2 manufacturing country in the WORLD!

"They don't want to pay American labor American wages."

Americans WANT the CHEAPEST prices they can get.

NO ONE is FORCING anybody to buy ANYTHING

Last edited by Quick Enough; Yesterday at 06:04 AM..

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The problem is that in most cases there is no American alternative today. Americans can thank themselves for the situation. In the 1970's we had a fuel crisis and most had to wait in lines at gas stations for hours to get a few gallons of gas. There was even every other day rationing. Some people dumped their v8 American gas guzzlers in favor of the 4 cyc Japanese cars. These Japanese cars were mostly junk but they got better gas mileage. The Japanese realized they had a market in the US for their cars if they gave Americans what they wanted and they did just that. At the same time American car manufacturers continued right along with the big v8. You know what happened next. Not long after that it was not only cars, but electronics, clothes, and everything else.

Americans also bought by price. They never considered that the American product they were buying supported American families. They opted out for the low price of foreign goods. Many businesses were forced to shut down or move their manufacturing to a country that had cheap labor. Once Walmart only carried American made products. Today I doubt you could find an American made product at Walmart. Americans made their decisions at the cash register and it was clear they wanted cheap foreign made goods.

Not to long ago we had real leather shoes that lasted for years and even decades. These shoes had leather heels and soles that were replaceable and people took good care of those shoes. Since then they have been replaced with high priced throw-aways and almost all of them foreign made.

Even the American flag is made in China and let's not forget Bibles are made their too.

"These Japanese cars were mostly junk"

People KEPT buying them after the "crisis" was over because they were NOT junk. The American made care WERE the junk.

Toyota had the TOP RATED cars for NOT having problems for YEARS.

"Even the American flag is made in China"

I bought my American flag at Wal-Mart and it was made in NEW JERSEY!

I posted this earlier
https://www.madeinamerica.co/pages/thelist#

Last edited by Quick Enough; Yesterday at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or