U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

34,670 posts, read 41,864,017 times

Advertisements

American stuff is too expensive and unreliable so i'll buy other than made in America stuff.
For the most part i never look to see where a product i'm buying was made or grown or caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

4,742 posts, read 3,659,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I avoid made in china, gladly pay more than sell my soul to that horrible country.

Bad dog food killed thousands of dogs.

Empire state bldg. lit up red and yellow to celebrate 60th anniv of communist red china!!!!!!!! That's on the board members of the Empire state bldg.!

Same people who elected a guy who promised skyrocketing energy costs now bemoan theoretically paying a pittance more to help the US resolve the economic and intellectual property loss china has cost us.

'Penny wise and pound foolish"
And yet China runs huge acct surpluses even as we run tariffs against them. So, does this mean that America lives crap? If Chinese goods are crap, then we love crap.

China hasn’t been a communist country in years.....

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

16,169 posts, read 4,267,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Wow. There are a few hidden gems in harbor freight and they only exist because it is a form of steel dumping, currency manipulation etc.

Harbor freight is still mostly junk. If you think their stuff is good you've never been around real tools. Most online discussions about harbor freight tools are people discussing disassembling them and re-engineering right out of the box before the first use.

I have some of their crap but generally it's only for "I need it right now". I used to work in agricultural construction and now I buy and sell shop equipment on the side. Best advice I can give is always buy Taiwan over China, of you're buying imported tools. If it's possible.
Well, sure, it's not up to Chinese Grizzly tools standards (which my contractor friends rate VERY highly), but I am talking about the part-time DIY customer that has the ability to slightly mod or make due with a tool. For example, I bought a air rivet gun from them...works like a charm. Many of my friends bought their $89 generators and did some small upgrades...will work fine in emergencies (I have a $1000 honda!).

I bought a grinder from them for aluminum - works great.

China makes much better tools than HF...but my comment is meant to say that they have a lot of things that will work for the average Joe or Jane homeowner. Look at the reviews of their tools.

I never buy their saws or sanders or stuff like that....I'll go for brand names even if they are El Cheapo models.

Oh, I bought a trailer for my snow thrower there....worked perfectly for years and sold it...it was in perfect condition.

No doubt taiwan stuff is often of world-class quality. It all depends on the price point and spec from the maker...and factory that produces it. Most all the brand names these days produce stuff in China, but the larger ones have the cash to either build their own factories or send their QC and production teams there full time to train and oversee things for a couple years.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

2,624 posts, read 893,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we donít mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.
There is no such thing as an American-made car. Ford and Chevy may be made in Mexico or Canada, or in the US with parts from various countries around the world. Japanese and German cars are often assembled in the US and have more American-made parts than the domestic cars. As far as BRAND, Japanese and German brands are still superior, so I buy those.

Same with most products. Computers, electronics, TVs, clothes - very hard to find any American made products. If there are any, I will buy them IF they have superior quality. Food and furniture are about the only things that come to mind.

Tariffs are a way of saying we can't compete based on quality and price, so we're going to try and force people to buy American. In the end free trade is better for everyone.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

3,991 posts, read 1,875,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
NO it worked like a charm for me. I wasn't about to spend a couple hundred for a tool I would likely never need again. They allegedly loaned it to a friend when they were finished with it. I don't like any tools with cords. Cordless will spoil you every time.
I meant it probably broke the first time your friend tried to use it, thus it's second use.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, sure, it's not up to Chinese Grizzly tools standards (which my contractor friends rate VERY highly), but I am talking about the part-time DIY customer that has the ability to slightly mod or make due with a tool. For example, I bought a air rivet gun from them...works like a charm. Many of my friends bought their $89 generators and did some small upgrades...will work fine in emergencies (I have a $1000 honda!).

I bought a grinder from them for aluminum - works great.

China makes much better tools than HF...but my comment is meant to say that they have a lot of things that will work for the average Joe or Jane homeowner. Look at the reviews of their tools.

I never buy their saws or sanders or stuff like that....I'll go for brand names even if they are El Cheapo models.

Oh, I bought a trailer for my snow thrower there....worked perfectly for years and sold it...it was in perfect condition.

No doubt taiwan stuff is often of world-class quality. It all depends on the price point and spec from the maker...and factory that produces it. Most all the brand names these days produce stuff in China, but the larger ones have the cash to either build their own factories or send their QC and production teams there full time to train and oversee things for a couple years.
The reviews on their site are filtered.

Agree that grizzly is better across the board.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i buy what i can afford, it being china, japan, tawaiin, is not much of a choice. buy ameriican, there nothing made in america anynmore and then you cant afford it, even the geat american craftman tools went to china, wasnt my call. i was loyal before they left
Craftsman never made tools. It was just a name. You could buy all that stuff under different brands including the actual manufacturers. Still can for a lot of it.

Stanley says it's building a new plant in the US to start making Craftsman tools at.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

27,625 posts, read 15,981,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
And yet China runs huge acct surpluses even as we run tariffs against them. So, does this mean that America lives crap? If Chinese goods are crap, then we love crap.

China hasnít been a communist country in years.....
We do because of cost savings. Buying crap allows to buy more crap. Buying good quality product means buying less even if it lasts longer and has better workmanship. The problem is even American products aren't the best anymore and can be crap, higher costs crap that is.

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 6,385,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
There is no such thing as an American-made car. Ford and Chevy may be made in Mexico or Canada, or in the US with parts from various countries around the world. Japanese and German cars are often assembled in the US and have more American-made parts than the domestic cars. As far as BRAND, Japanese and German brands are still superior, so I buy those.

Same with most products. Computers, electronics, TVs, clothes - very hard to find any American made products. If there are any, I will buy them IF they have superior quality. Food and furniture are about the only things that come to mind.

Tariffs are a way of saying we can't compete based on quality and price, so we're going to try and force people to buy American. In the end free trade is better for everyone.

Plenty of clothing and footwear that are American made, and they are superior, you just have to look for it. There is some Japanese made jeans that are on par with US made ones but they are just as expensive.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

4,742 posts, read 3,659,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We do because of cost savings. Buying crap allows to buy more crap. Buying good quality product means buying less even if it lasts longer and has better workmanship. The problem is even American products aren't the best anymore and can be crap, higher costs crap that is.
American crap can be the crappiest of crap, ie my dads Oldsmobile. So the posts by many here who disparage Chinese craps and toot buying American as if American made means high quality like those of Germany or japan is just full of.....well, crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or