U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,248 posts, read 20,334,873 times
Reputation: 46557

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We do because of cost savings. Buying crap allows to buy more crap. Buying good quality product means buying less even if it lasts longer and has better workmanship. The problem is even American products aren't the best anymore and can be crap, higher costs crap that is.

Yep. Nothing like paying top dollar for something that turns out to be junk too.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
 
3,991 posts, read 1,875,897 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
American crap can be the crappiest of crap, ie my dads Oldsmobile. So the posts by many here who disparage Chinese craps and toot buying American as if American made means high quality like those of Germany or japan is just full of.....well, crap.
What year and model Oldsmobile?

Since I've put hundreds of thousands of virtually trouble free miles on Olds vehicles over 25 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
 
3,991 posts, read 1,875,897 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We do because of cost savings. Buying crap allows to buy more crap. Buying good quality product means buying less even if it lasts longer and has better workmanship. The problem is even American products aren't the best anymore and can be crap, higher costs crap that is.
I can't remember the last time I paid a premium for a USA product and received anything less than an excellent, built to last product.

Not many companies in America making garbage. It doesn't usually make much sense. If you're making garbage you go to a cheaper country to maximize profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,625 posts, read 15,981,745 times
Reputation: 9963
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I can't remember the last time I paid a premium for a USA product and received anything less than an excellent, built to last product.

Not many companies in America making garbage. It doesn't usually make much sense. If you're making garbage you go to a cheaper country to maximize profits.
There are always crap that is higher priced but still crap. If you paid a higher price for the crap, it is still just that, crap. Notice I didn't say all American made items are crap, just that there is crap. But why pay more for crap? Refer to my tee shirt comments. Why pay as much as two to three times the amount for a shirt that is the same quality but cheaper? Hello, is anyone home? Hello. Think McFly, think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,625 posts, read 15,981,745 times
Reputation: 9963
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
What year and model Oldsmobile?

Since I've put hundreds of thousands of virtually trouble free miles on Olds vehicles over 25 years...
Oldsmobile didn't last past the mid 2000's. It was shutdown before Saturn and Pontiac were. I guess if they made good product, nobody realized it or they just made bad product. Let's face it, not everyone gets the same experience. I mean it isn't like my old HHR that had engine issues before its 120k typical lifespan. Had to dump that even with negative equity for a Kia Soul. At least I got a drivable car now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
 
3,991 posts, read 1,875,897 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Oldsmobile didn't last past the mid 2000's. It was shutdown before Saturn and Pontiac were. I guess if they made good product, nobody realized it or they just made bad product. Let's face it, not everyone gets the same experience. I mean it isn't like my old HHR that had engine issues before its 120k typical lifespan. Had to dump that even with negative equity for a Kia Soul. At least I got a drivable car now.
Dude it was part of GM. Nothing more should need to be said.

Drove my 2000 Silhouette yesterday. Nice mini van. MUCH nicer than the Chevy and Pontiac versions. I speak from experience, not just calling everything crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
 
3,991 posts, read 1,875,897 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There are always crap that is higher priced but still crap. If you paid a higher price for the crap, it is still just that, crap. Notice I didn't say all American made items are crap, just that there is crap. But why pay more for crap? Refer to my tee shirt comments. Why pay as much as two to three times the amount for a shirt that is the same quality but cheaper? Hello, is anyone home? Hello. Think McFly, think!
You Did not buy the US t shirts yet here you are calling a product you've never laid eyes on crap.

And how is it two to three times the amount but cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
857 posts, read 840,309 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Every since President Trump was running for the presidency we became even more aware of buying American made stuff.

We do not buy only American made, but over the years we started at first to eliminate China manufactured pet food and never bought a Japanese car but only US brand cars.

Most items we buy will therefore be US made and if we have to choose or can choose then we donít mind to pay a little bit more for US made.

Therefore the tariffs are not seen by us as a tax to the public but a choice you make to support the Country.

I wonder what others do or think about this subject.



Wait, what? Since Trump ran for Presidency? Give me a break, this has been a topic for a long time, way before that orange thing took the reins. People have talked for years about making the choice and the affordability of that choice. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy American, I'm just asking if you were born yesterday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
 
3,991 posts, read 1,875,897 times
Reputation: 3932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Wait, what? Since Trump ran for Presidency? Give me a break, this has been a topic for a long time, way before that orange thing took the reins. People have talked for years about making the choice and the affordability of that choice. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy American, I'm just asking if you were born yesterday?
A lot of people simply didn't care until Trump put it center stage. They didn't care when our factories were closed, or when China started polluting like it's going out of style, etc etc.

It wasn't even on the national stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,625 posts, read 15,981,745 times
Reputation: 9963
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
You Did not buy the US t shirts yet here you are calling a product you've never laid eyes on crap.

And how is it two to three times the amount but cheaper?
I told you the deal, you chose not to listen to it. You are now twisting my words by saying I have said everything is crap. I haven't. What I said is there is crap. Not everything two to three times the price is two to three times the quality. Sometimes it is equal quality, sometimes it is actually worse. This is what I and others have said over and over. I will say that some are what you claim I am saying, I however am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top