Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:17 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Not buying a 72" TV because you don't need one, and therefore keeping that money within the borders of the US, could be considered a good thing...

Question for you: how did you feel when GW Bush told us to go shopping after 9/11?

It will just go into my savings, like I said, it won't be spent.

How did I feel? He said stuff about going about your normal lives (and part of that was shopping). I understood why he was saying that, I don't remember having any specific feelings about it.
Edit: I would actually probably move that money more into travel, and that a good portion of that would be to different countries. We usually look at our discretionary funds and think about what we want or want to do, and choose the best VALUE.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Great values. And among many in metal working (I bought some of their sheet metal tools) they are considered quite good....and a community has even built up around modding some of their tools to do more!

The thing is, a lot of people don't use a tool daily, but they want it for the once or twice a year (or month) that they need it..saves them money. HF is great for that.

I have mostly mid-level Power tools as I used to be a real contractor and I have used them for additions and bigger projects. But now some of they sit for a year or two in between uses.
Wow. There are a few hidden gems in harbor freight and they only exist because it is a form of steel dumping, currency manipulation etc.

Harbor freight is still mostly junk. If you think their stuff is good you've never been around real tools. Most online discussions about harbor freight tools are people discussing disassembling them and re-engineering right out of the box before the first use.

I have some of their crap but generally it's only for "I need it right now". I used to work in agricultural construction and now I buy and sell shop equipment on the side. Best advice I can give is always buy Taiwan over China, of you're buying imported tools. If it's possible.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
For once I can agree with you.

I was an industrial mechanic for 28 years. I can tell you that quality matters. When you make a living with said tools.

For the do it yourself kind of person? I bought a Harbor Freight Hammer drill. I needed to drill 72 holes 3 inches deep into concrete. It would be the last time I would ever need the drill that I could foresee. The drill worked perfectly. It cost be like $75 bucks back in 2002. I loaned it to an acquaintance to use and have never seen it since.

I live abroad now. I don't buy top shelf tools anymore because I have become that once or twice kind of tool owner. I try to avoid made in China. It's a challenge. Here is something that surprised me. The natives around me also try to avoid made in China. Even in Asia made in China = Crap.
It probably broke the first time he tried to use it so he threw it out. Anything with a cord is suspect from them.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's just too much work to determine where something was made, and in many cases there is no USA made product. If we stopped all imports immediately, there are many items that would just not be available any more, such as your jeans. The most "American made" car (Jeep Cherokee) is made in Illinois but still has 28% foreign made parts in it. Then, of course, many of the foreign made products are better quality than the domestic ones.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...usa/ss-AACuHkl
Read your own link. Then come back and apologize. While you're at it go online and order some made in USA jeans. You have many options.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:14 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
I often check labels but I also know that manufacturers fake labels.

25 years ago we saw that first hand, at a manufacturing facility in Northern Africa. The clothing store the clothes were going to be shipped to didn’t want that northern African country listed so they had shipped rolls of labels with made in vietnam. These labels were going to be used.

But aside from being fooled as we often are, nowadays, I still prefer to buy American made stuff and hope that it will be manufactured here and not in china.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I often check labels but I also know that manufacturers fake labels.

25 years ago we saw that first hand, at a manufacturing facility in Northern Africa. The clothing store the clothes were going to be shipped to didn’t want that northern African country listed so they had shipped rolls of labels with made in vietnam. These labels were going to be used.

But aside from being fooled as we often are, nowadays, I still prefer to buy American made stuff and hope that it will be manufactured here and not in china.
The clothing industry has a terrible past. Levi's and all the other big companies Had a slave island going about 20 years ago, putting USA labels on everything due to a loophole. Can't remember the name of the island.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,305,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I buy what my budget allows and sadly it isn't American. I previously said that for one single made in the USA shirt online costs the same as about three to four made elsewhere shirts in stores, BEFORE shipping.
MKPunk, if the USA adopted the improved trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article, there'd be more USA jobs and wages greater purchasing power, and purchasing the U.S. rather than the imported product would more often be to your individual best interest.
Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_certificates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Voluntarily buying American products has about as much hope as voluntarily paying more in taxes than is necessary. If you want people to buy American, you use tariffs to raise the price of foreign goods.
Avondalist, we can't rely upon the futile altruism of good people; they will not effectively benefit our nation.
I too am a proponent for changing our nation's trade policy. Currently, the best interests of our nation are contrary to our own individual best interests.

Import Certificates would be superior to tariffs. They would be more driven by markets rather than by the government. Due to market conditions, they would serve as price subsidies for USA's exported goods.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
It probably broke the first time he tried to use it so he threw it out. Anything with a cord is suspect from them.
NO it worked like a charm for me. I wasn't about to spend a couple hundred for a tool I would likely never need again. They allegedly loaned it to a friend when they were finished with it. I don't like any tools with cords. Cordless will spoil you every time.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:36 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
i buy what i can afford, it being china, japan, tawaiin, is not much of a choice. buy ameriican, there nothing made in america anynmore and then you cant afford it, even the geat american craftman tools went to china, wasnt my call. i was loyal before they left

Old 08-20-2019, 04:56 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
I avoid made in china, gladly pay more than sell my soul to that horrible country.

Bad dog food killed thousands of dogs.

Empire state bldg. lit up red and yellow to celebrate 60th anniv of communist red china!!!!!!!! That's on the board members of the Empire state bldg.!

Same people who elected a guy who promised skyrocketing energy costs now bemoan theoretically paying a pittance more to help the US resolve the economic and intellectual property loss china has cost us.

'Penny wise and pound foolish"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies