U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:53 PM
 
38,834 posts, read 15,228,063 times
Reputation: 25168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
when you're attempting to give a concise and coherent speech.
Not sure that is ever a goal of Trump's, but whatever.

This was supposed to be an energy speech, correct?

Since it turned into a campaign speech, is his campaign picking up the tab?

 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:59 PM
 
2,450 posts, read 670,627 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Great energy speech from the president at a nonpartisan event. Turned into a rambling, incoherent campaign speech. And after all this time, Trump still has no idea what is in the Constitution or emoluments clause.

It was extremely partisan, childish and was loaded with misinformation.

"...After pointing out the “fake news” media in the back of the venue and mentioning the crowd size, which he said was “a lot of people for 11 a.m....

“It’s like the Academy Awards during the day,” the president said while appraising the crowd full of laborers in yellow work vests—not as popular as “it used to be.”...“You know, the Academy Awards is on hard times now, you know that...."

"Don't worry about the rain, umbrellas work very well, especially when they're made in America."

“I love cranes. I love trucks of all types. Even when I was a little boy at 4 years old, my mother would say, ‘You love trucks.’ I do,” Trump said. “I always loved trucks. I still do..."

“I got sued on a thing called emoluments. Emoluments. You ever hear of the word? Nobody ever heard of it before,”... “And what it is, is presidential harassment because this thing is costing me a fortune......”now nobody looks at Obama getting $60 million for a book, that's OK, even though nobody in history ever got that much money for a book. Obama got $60 million -- think of it, $60 million for a book. Nobody looks -- nobody looks at any -- but with me, it's everything, emoluments..."

“Can you imagine if these people treated me fairly?” Trump said, motioning to the reporters.. “The election would be over. Have they ever called off an election before?” He added, that if the crowd really wanted to drive the news media crazy, they’d tweet “hashtag third term, hashtag fourth term.”

"I was a good builder...."I built good..."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/polit...rgy/index.html
Yep, it was a mess according to our local Pittsburgh news. In addition to what has been noted in this thread, he FALSELY took credit for the facility he was visiting:

In an hour-long speech to more than 2,000 workers at the Shell plant, Trump took credit for "unleashing" American energy and making the plant possible. "It was the Trump administration that made it possible, no one else,” he said. “Without us, you would never have been able to do this."

The $6 billion plant was approved before Trump took office. The company started working on the plant as early as 2012. He also claimed that before his presidency, no one wanted to take advantage of natural gas, although the industry was booming before 2016. Really embarrassing, highly embellished and hyperbolic fabricated nonsensical statements, if you ask me. No matter which side one is on re the fracking and natural gas debate, all Western Pa folks, whether they be Trump supporters or non-supporters, know the timeline of this highly publicized project and the related issues and clearly understood his statements were big fat LIES!

P.S. We had a "darn good" protest as well in a small town near the site of his speech. Baby Trump blimp/balloon and all...

Last edited by corpgypsy; 08-14-2019 at 05:29 PM..
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,931 posts, read 4,373,219 times
Reputation: 10222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, implying Hillary was an embarrassment.

I wasn't embarrassed by Hillary. Certainly not in comparison with Trump. Hillary was vastly experienced compared to Trump, including her periods as Senator and Secretary of State. She was poised, not losing her temper with reporters, as Trump does. She was not known for a variety of tabloid-type sexual entanglements. She was not involved in thousands of lawsuits. She did not routinely insult people, including prominent people in foreign governments. She was not known for speaking of people in sexually disparaging terms. She did not continually speak in ways to undermine people's confidence in the rule of law. She did not have a catalogue of 10,000 verified lies. And unlike Trump dodging Mueller, Hillary testified multiple times about Benghazi.

So I would have been pretty happy with her.
Well we'll just have to disagree on Queen Hillary.

One of the worst people and politicians I've ever seen. An embarrassment. Thought she was entitled to the office of president, and didn't work for it. An establishment type, when we needed an outsider. I'm not entirely sold on Trump at this point, but he's miles better than she would have been.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,387 posts, read 13,482,507 times
Reputation: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Yep, it was a mess according to our local Pittsburgh news. In addition to what has been noted in this thread, he FALSELY took credit for the facility he was visiting:

In an hour-long speech to more than 2,000 workers at the Shell plant, Trump took credit for "unleashing" American energy and making the plant possible. "It was the Trump administration that made it possible, no one else,” he said. “Without us, you would never have been able to do this."

The $6 billion plant was approved before Trump took office. The company started working on the plant as early as 2012. He also claimed that before his presidency, no one wanted to take advantage of natural gas, although the industry was booming before 2016. Really embarrassing, highly embellished and hyperbolic fabricated nonsensical statements, if you ask me. No matter which side one is on re the fracking and natural gas debate, all Western Pa folks, whether they be Trump supporters or non-supporters, know the timeline of this highly publicized project and the related issues and clearly understood his statements were big fat LIES!

P.S. We had a "darn good" protest as well in a small town near the site of his speech. Baby Trump blimp/balloon and all...
Trump supporters would only say if Trump wants to wrongly take credit for creating great and wonderful things, why not let him without criticizing him for it? After all, he's the president of the United States.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,996 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Reputation: 8054
And it was a taxpayer funded event. The Dear Leader. Responsible for everything good in America. Billions lost as he sacrificed his wealth for the benefit of the lowly worker ants. Flags fly against a clear blue sky and his devoted followers stand in awe.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:06 PM
 
46,388 posts, read 18,361,451 times
Reputation: 19340
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And it was a taxpayer funded event. The Dear Leader. Responsible for everything good in America. Billions lost as he sacrificed his wealth for the benefit of the lowly worker ants. Flags fly against a clear blue sky and his devoted followers stand in awe.
You know. That wasn't even very good as a Trump insult. Try not to make it so "clever" next time.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,462 posts, read 2,374,581 times
Reputation: 4589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Great energy speech from the president at a nonpartisan event. Turned into a rambling, incoherent campaign speech. And after all this time, Trump still has no idea what is in the Constitution or emoluments clause.

It was extremely partisan, childish and was loaded with misinformation.

"...After pointing out the “fake news” media in the back of the venue and mentioning the crowd size, which he said was “a lot of people for 11 a.m....

“It’s like the Academy Awards during the day,” the president said while appraising the crowd full of laborers in yellow work vests—not as popular as “it used to be.”...“You know, the Academy Awards is on hard times now, you know that...."

"Don't worry about the rain, umbrellas work very well, especially when they're made in America."

“I love cranes. I love trucks of all types. Even when I was a little boy at 4 years old, my mother would say, ‘You love trucks.’ I do,” Trump said. “I always loved trucks. I still do..."

“I got sued on a thing called emoluments. Emoluments. You ever hear of the word? Nobody ever heard of it before,”... “And what it is, is presidential harassment because this thing is costing me a fortune......”now nobody looks at Obama getting $60 million for a book, that's OK, even though nobody in history ever got that much money for a book. Obama got $60 million -- think of it, $60 million for a book. Nobody looks -- nobody looks at any -- but with me, it's everything, emoluments..."

“Can you imagine if these people treated me fairly?” Trump said, motioning to the reporters.. “The election would be over. Have they ever called off an election before?” He added, that if the crowd really wanted to drive the news media crazy, they’d tweet “hashtag third term, hashtag fourth term.”

"I was a good builder...."I built good..."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/polit...rgy/index.html

Ramblings of a self absorbed lunatic.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:47 PM
 
3,643 posts, read 1,002,408 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Since when is going off-topic a bad thing?
President Trump is not talking on an internet messageboard.
He can go to whatever topic he wants to.
Its real life where people speak about whatever they want, especially the POTUS.
Also, speaking about the primary candidates is always on-topic during an election cycle.
Bizarre thread.
When one has a specific topic and especially when speaking to an audience associated with that topic, it's strange for any good speaker to go off topic. In this case, it would be an energy speech at a Shell petrochemical plant.

If he wanted to mention the other candidates in context with their views on different energy related topics, sure. That could work.

Otherwise, this would be like if you went to a college class about chemistry and instead the professor decides to go off on classic literature, what he ate for lunch, child psychology and just a bunch of non-chemistry topics.

He can go on random tangents at his rallies and stuff.
 
Old 08-15-2019, 03:53 AM
 
Location: A State of Mind
5,352 posts, read 2,137,775 times
Reputation: 4918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, implying Hillary was an embarrassment.

I wasn't embarrassed by Hillary. Certainly not in comparison with Trump. Hillary was vastly experienced compared to Trump, including her periods as Senator and Secretary of State. She was poised, not losing her temper with reporters, as Trump does. She was not known for a variety of tabloid-type sexual entanglements. She was not involved in thousands of lawsuits. She did not routinely insult people, including prominent people in foreign governments. She was not known for speaking of people in sexually disparaging terms. She did not continually speak in ways to undermine people's confidence in the rule of law. She did not have a catalogue of 10,000 verified lies. And unlike Trump dodging Mueller, Hillary testified multiple times about Benghazi.

So I would have been pretty happy with her.
Such good points. Yet some refuse to see the reality of.

Those who have had, for mysterious reasons, such unwarranted hate and imagined or unfounded ideas for this more appropriate human, one who could (and should) have become president, are not playing with a full deck. I don't know what they've been fooled by, except some falsehoods created to have made her appear to be someone she is not. Sane and rational adults having paid attention for all these years know the reality of the situation.
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:23 AM
 
5,543 posts, read 1,596,009 times
Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
When one has a specific topic and especially when speaking to an audience associated with that topic, it's strange for any good speaker to go off topic. In this case, it would be an energy speech at a Shell petrochemical plant.

If he wanted to mention the other candidates in context with their views on different energy related topics, sure. That could work.

Otherwise, this would be like if you went to a college class about chemistry and instead the professor decides to go off on classic literature, what he ate for lunch, child psychology and just a bunch of non-chemistry topics.

He can go on random tangents at his rallies and stuff.
Except its not a random tangent, because the primary candidates are always on-topic during an election cycle.
And Trump can change the topic whenever he wishes and wherever he wishes.
There are no rules when the President speaks.
In fact most or all public figures have the freedom to change topics.
If somebody in the audiences starts crying because the topic was changed, that's not Trump's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top