U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:06 AM

32,622 posts, read 26,596,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This reparations issue will stick around. What needs to be sorted out is reparations in what form?

I don't see slave reparations on a national level happening. Instead reparations are more likely to happen on smaller scales aimed at specific Black groups.

If it can be shown that Black families did have land stolen then the descendants of those families should receive something that can makeup for that land theft.

so apparently welfare, affirmative action, and many other programs are not enough "reparations" for you?

as long as certain groups continue to call for things like this, they will never get out of the victim mentality, and as such will never move forward. one side of my family goes back to jamestown virginia in the 1700s. its possible that they may have owned slaves at one point. but i never have, so why should my tax money go to the decsendents of slaves who have had plenty of opportunity to get ahead in this country, considering that most of the people calling for reparations were born no earlier than the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:50 AM

66,896 posts, read 30,632,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Good god, what a pathetic segment that is from PBS. The guy being interviewed, someone actually employed as a professional writer by The Atlantic, doesn't seem to know what the term "bully pulpit" means. (listen to him misuse it at 2:05). And of course he doesn't even begin to prove his claim that land was "stolen". Rather he alleges that government aid and loans were sometimes unfairly denied to black farmers in the '50s and '60s by racist local boards who controlled the funding. How this qualifies as theft of the land is not explained.

And the scale of the issue is wildly exaggerated. The author speculates that, if not for this "stolen" farm land, millions of blacks would have stayed in the Deep South rather than move north, several states would be majority black today and the Senate would be Democratic. PBS's Yang does not offer even a hint of a challenge to all this. We are given no actual numbers, not even estimates...
The author is completely clueless, and is writing from ignorance of the facts. From 2011 regarding 2010 census data...

Quote:
The percentage of the nation’s black population living in the
South has hit its highest point in half a century, according to census data
released
Thursday, as younger and more educated black residents move out of declining cities
in the Northeast and Midwest in search of better opportunities.

The share of black population growth that has occurred in the South over the
past decade — the highest since 1910, before the Great Migration of blacks to the
North — has upended some long-held assumptions.
Many U.S. Blacks Moving to South, Reversing Trend - NY Times

Old Today, 06:00 AM

861 posts, read 273,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Say that we identified the tribe of Native Americans that was the first to land on American soil and say there was a tribe directly descended from them that was still around! Since that earliest tribe came into a land that was not theirs from the start, we can argue they also stole the land. I am not denying the White man has stolen land from many people and have committed many horrific things. However, it is necessary at times to also put blame to similar atrocities and land-grabbing committed by various non-White people.
people tend to mythologize the past and the view of peaceful American Indians fit that...
i have recently come across a documentary that shows the Indians of mongoloid background were actually preceded by people with aboriginal DNA...evidence shows these aboriginal people were brutally wiped out
by the people with mongoloid DNA and there are in fact people with both DNA mixed still living on the very remote tip of south America...so much for the peace lovers myth

Old Today, 06:19 AM

10,154 posts, read 6,954,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Why not reparations for stolen land?

You can go to any honest clinical psychologist and they will tell you what has been taken from blacks psychologically from centuries of racial oppression. Over 300 plus years, so much was subtracted from blacks, to add to white societies growth, that I don't think it can ever be fully or accurately quantified.

Of course, all this history has NOTHING to do with our current socioeconomic condition relative to whites. We have had plenty of time to recover.....I mean...look at the Irish, the Jews....look at Asians. That's proof that NORMAL humans go through the same thing and quickly rise above it. Its only SUB NORMAL humans who languish and play "victim" and act like they deserve something when they only have their inferiority to blame. (paraphrasing the right).

Old Today, 06:24 AM

161 posts, read 16,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You can go to any honest clinical psychologist and they will tell you what has been taken from blacks psychologically from centuries of racial oppression. Over 300 plus years, so much was subtracted from blacks, to add to white societies growth, that I don't think it can ever be fully or accurately quantified.

Of course, all this history has NOTHING to do with our current socioeconomic condition relative to whites. We have had plenty of time to recover.....I mean...look at the Irish, the Jews....look at Asians. That's proof that NORMAL humans go through the same thing and quickly rise above it. Its only SUB NORMAL humans who languish and play "victim" and act like they deserve something when they only have their inferiority to blame. (paraphrasing the right).
What's the excuse for Africans and Blacks in Caribbean?

Old Today, 06:31 AM

10,154 posts, read 6,954,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post

My only intent in any debate is never to prove that blacks are not inferior.....but to demonstrate that people like you believe that blacks are inferior. When people who run central banks around the world and who run multi-national corporations around the world....believe that black people are inferior.....they will not trade and invest in those nations as they do nations where they believe the people are not inferior by nature. Imperialist took most of the worlds wealth and resources under their control....thus, to make it the imperialist must respect you enough to invest and trade....

Old Today, 06:31 AM

13,807 posts, read 7,523,960 times
Weren’t many of these farmers made whole via the Pigford Settlement?

Old Today, 06:33 AM

6,429 posts, read 5,501,273 times
It wouldn't surprise me if next they'll be requiring everyone (conservatives that is, not liberals) who own a house with acreage to relinquish some of their land to erect two or three double wides to house minority, illegal alien, or refugee families. Right next to the five bedroom McMansion.

We're sure to soon be hearing from some lib posters on here that think that would be a good idea and probably support it!

Old Today, 06:38 AM

375 posts, read 296,119 times
Surely, a percentage of the reparations would have to be passed on to the native Americans.

Old Today, 06:39 AM

66,896 posts, read 30,632,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Actually, if you look at the slave trade routes, more Africans were sold into slavery and routed to the Caribbean and South America than to the US. The US, as a destination for slave ships, was an extremely small percentage of the slave trade. The following slave trade map shows where African slaves were shipped. The larger the arrow, the higher the number:

US National Endowment for the Humanities Slave Trade Map

Last edited by InformedConsent; Today at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies