U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
 
16,040 posts, read 4,235,579 times
Reputation: 11403

Advertisements

He's actually costing the country trillions- but what is a little rounding error between friends?

Just the lost returns from the stock market in the US for the past 20 months..compared to "good time" are well over 5 TRILLION. That doesn't include most of the losses....because most businesses are not on the stock market. We can probably round it to 10 Trillion in losses, although it will likely far exceed that in terms of look back (depending on when the country can get rid of him and who replaces him and how quick we can change policies, etc.)....

It could be decades of hurt...but many will never know, because most of what is lost is "loss of gains". The 46% of Floridians, for example, who aren't making it...they won't care if the number goes up to 48% or down to 45%.

As many experts have noted - he already lost the "trade wars". There is about as much chance of "winning" this as Trump providing better and cheaper health care for every soul....and of him eliminating the deficit, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
 
16,040 posts, read 4,235,579 times
Reputation: 11403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
China laughs at Americans addicted to cheap Red Chinese crap. Free trade deals coming home to roost, how to take down America...without bombs/bullets.
So you really don't understand that AMERICAN COMPANIES.....most every one you can name....are over there making this stuff with American and Japanese and German industrial automation? And that it is being made to their specifications and is of the highest quality?

You will find virtually every worldwide "western" brand with factories in China...the largest initial builder of them would be this place we know as THE USA.

Corporate bean-counters here started opening up plants there 30+ years back...or longer. To the "American" businessman, the USA is just where they get their mail.

The Chinese aren't doing anything to us. Our system rewards money...for moneys sake. American industrialists decided long ago that they didn't want to deal with pesky American workers or high labor costs which support middle class lifestyles. They could care less about the product...it's all about "the stock".

You must have missed the 80's when hostile buy-outs became the biggest business in the USA. Companies buying companies and then selling the Junk Bonds and then breaking up the companies, laying off the workers, etc.

You are hereby sentenced to watch both of the Wall Street movies....and then watch Wolf of Wall Street. Then watch the Big Short.

The water is long over the dam. I didn't do it. You didn't do it. You should probably discuss it with the bean-counters that populated every firm in this country starting in the 1960's. After that, take it up with the Ghosts of Nixon and Reagan, one of whom opened up China (after dumping on them like you are for years!) and the other who set policy which rewarded bankers and outsourcing over producers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:20 AM
 
38,773 posts, read 15,195,071 times
Reputation: 25090
American companies are putting the screws to the American worker, not China, not immigrants, ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
258 posts, read 31,600 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

You are hereby sentenced to watch both of the Wall Street movies....and then watch Wolf of Wall Street. Then watch the Big Short.

Gordon Gekko with the brick cellphone talking to Bud about a sunrise..that'd go over really well today.


Blue horseshoe loves Anacot Steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,154 posts, read 14,367,086 times
Reputation: 16336
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
He's actually costing the country trillions- but what is a little rounding error between friends?

Then surely if you're really the "financial guru" you claim to be you can provide concrete hard evidence to support your claim and support the failed claim of this thread instead of irrelevant anecdotal evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:23 PM
 
6,550 posts, read 3,514,125 times
Reputation: 10369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You left out that unemployment is up, household debt is up, and manufacturing and industrial output is down.

I don't think anyone is singing "we're in the money" to the Dow Jones being up 15 points, especially after yesterday.
Preaching this to hardcore Trump supporters is the ultimate effort in futility. If Trump says the economy is Great, they will believe him because Trump is Making America Great Again. And don't you forget it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
969 posts, read 1,138,478 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
American companies are putting the screws to the American worker, not China, not immigrants, ...
Not quite. Government is responsible for providing a competitive tax structure and a tariff structure to promote balanced trade and domestic production/jobs. For example, England has some of the highest costs of living in the world, and keeps their domestic manufacturing afloat by enacting heavy tariffs on competing imports. My sister lives in the UK and they will tariff goods we send her from the USA in excess of 40%.
China, American companies, and immigrants/illegals are taking advantage of our governments inaction. In some cases, companies like Malwart make LARGE "political contributions" to "help" that government inaction remain the same. Some companies go offshore for additional gain/profits, some because they have no other choice because they couldn't compete otherwise.

I work in manufacturing and guess what....surprise....with the steel tariffs in place and some automation we are able to compete with Chinese made stuff (and provide superior quality) by the time it's made in China and shipped via ocean freight to the USA. Our workers that are programming and operating the automated equipment get paid wages that afford them a solid middle to upper-middle class lifestyle. Prior to the tariff enactments and corporate tax breaks, half our crew sat home on UE benefits and lived hand to mouth. It was also so bad in the steel market, that some projects that came out which required 100% USA melted and manufactured steel, simply couldn't be done because many of the shapes weren't available in domestic at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,961 posts, read 2,762,246 times
Reputation: 5143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
For example, England has some of the highest costs of living in the world, and keeps their domestic manufacturing afloat by enacting heavy tariffs on competing imports. My sister lives in the UK and they will tariff goods we send her from the USA in excess of 40%.
I just wanted to point out that England does not set its own tariffs - EU tariffs apply. That of course will change with Brexit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top