U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

35,732 posts, read 32,480,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If we all had an AR15 with 5000 rounds the world would be safer.....

Right?...
You have that option and that really isn't a lot of ammo for sport shooters. Especially when your Govt wants to tax it by the sale and not the amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

10,510 posts, read 6,370,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
"Court documents say Olsen told the FBI during his arrest that the comments were only a joke.
Agents seized 15 rifles, 10 semi-automatic pistols and roughly 10,000 rounds of ammunition during the arrest."

Twenty five firearms and ten thousand bullets and the best he can come up with is, "duhhhh, I was only JOKING, Mr FBI Agent!"

Enjoy the slammer, funny guy.

What the hell.... quite a collection for an 18 year old. Something tells me he wasn't joking. I have no issues with large collections but having one that sized and the amount of ammo, after only being legal to purchase for a year... seems sketchy to me.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

30,059 posts, read 15,676,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
https://ktla.com/2019/08/13/fbi-agen...lowing-threat/

Yup- not a problem in the USA. An 18 yo with 10,000 rds hell bent on killing.

Nothing to see here...Move along...No crisis with our society...
Maybe you can suggest making drugs illegal; surely laws against drugs will keep them out if the hands of teens, right?

Lol

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

30,059 posts, read 15,676,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
"Court documents say Olsen told the FBI during his arrest that the comments were only a joke.
Agents seized 15 rifles, 10 semi-automatic pistols and roughly 10,000 rounds of ammunition during the arrest."

Twenty five firearms and ten thousand bullets and the best he can come up with is, "duhhhh, I was only JOKING, Mr FBI Agent!"

Enjoy the slammer, funny guy.
At 18, I'd had spent that money on a cool car.

18-year-old girls are more impressed by a nice car than a stash of rifles.

Of course, he might be gay and out to impress the guys with that collection.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

5,730 posts, read 4,930,877 times
The media just did another disservice to the country,
and encouraged another mass shooting by glorifying this individual.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

17,013 posts, read 22,372,191 times
Two bricks of .22 lr and you have over a thousand rounds of ammo. Someone who really gets into target shooting could easily burn through a couple thousand rounds in a day at the range. I think people are worried about the wrong things here. Why does an 18 year old want to kill people, is what we should be worried about (no one is going to carry around 25 guns at one time obviously). Figure out why these young people want to murder and the real root causes can be addressed.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

52,337 posts, read 42,100,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Kid lives with his dad. Likely the guns/ ammo are owned by his father.

Kid did have a machete in his trunk. Never know when a machete will come in handy.
I had a machete at my house for clearing weeds etc. but in the Trunk he's probably saving that for a road rage altercation.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

52,337 posts, read 42,100,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Two bricks of .22 lr and you have over a thousand rounds of ammo. Someone who really gets into target shooting could easily burn through a couple thousand rounds in a day at the range. I think people are worried about the wrong things here. Why does an 18 year old want to kill people, is what we should be worried about (no one is going to carry around 25 guns at one time obviously). Figure out why these young people want to murder and the real root causes can be addressed.
Yes, growing up we probably had a dozen or two guns around. Various hunting guns and a ton of antiques from older relatives that had passed away. Thousands of rounds of ammo but most of that was .22 for target shooting.

If we're being honest, the number of guns and rounds of ammo is meant to make the news story more salacious since many people are completely uninformed about guns they just ooh and ahh and cluck about how scary that is.

The vast majority of US murders are gang and drug related and the shooter has a couple guns at most.

The attempt to try to construct a stereotype of people with lots of guns and ammos as being unstable and a huge threat to us all is patently false.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

18,323 posts, read 18,067,925 times
And I bet bleeding heart liberals will be like awwww he is just a boy, he meant no harm, maybe his daddy doesn’t say i love you enough... here let him go

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

14,465 posts, read 11,748,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Well young people are indoctrinated to believe all through school that they will be taken care of, underachievement is rewarded with platitudes and conciliatory pats on the head, and they believe that any job they feel inclined to apply for should pay 15-20 bucks an hour to start with no skills.

Then they graduate and figure out they have been lied to and Mom and Dad are ragging them about getting a job and being self sufficient when they don't even have the life skills to fix a bowl of cereal in the morning.

Add to this kids that have been seriously bullied and beat down and how sophisticated and vicious bullying has become. These kids have had it spread all over the world what dweebs they are and how inferior they are to their peers. So suicide or mass murder become options to make it stop.

Things are so much different in our society now. It's no wonder young people get sucked into radical ideology of some sort that promises them some sort of standing and they become willing to kill and die for that. There's no difference to them between life and death at this point.

When I was in high school I had four long guns and a handgun in my room. My Dad had more in his. I hade edged weapons, and impact weapons both of various kinds that I practiced constantly with for exercise. I also had a job. my own vehicle and could fix my own meals. I often had a firearm hanging in my truck when I went to school as well. And not once did it ever occur to me to go on any sort of rampage.

We had one incident where a transfer problem student from Marin county was places in our small school. He had a crush on a girl there who did not return his amorous feelings. I was on my way to football practice. And I heard a scream. When I looked he was chasing her across the quad with a knife. I hit him from the side, tackled him into a wall, grabbed his hair and introduced the back of his head to that wall pinned his arm and took the knife.

He had been placed in our school because the head docs had said a rural environment would be good for him. This kid was seriously wacked. They knew he had violent traits and he had zero conscience. And he tried to kill a friend of mine. He's lucky he lived. The vice principal pulled me off of him or he might not have. Any other guy in that school would have done the same thing and felt the same way.

When the powers that be identify these sorts of kids in school they need to separate them and put them in a secure facility. Same with adults in society when they are identified. Quit treating this sort of things with this squishy hand wringing crap and act decisively. That would certainly help a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies