Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:38 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times

Advertisements

I like watching these White House meetings because mainstream media never covers them. I get to associate names with faces and titles. These are school administrators, doctors, teachers and mothers giving their opinions and ideas to the President, the VP and their wives as well as relevant members of the administration. If you are worried about your kids I strongly suggest watching. I found it quite interesting and I don't even have kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQG835FyulE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 09:26 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I like watching these White House meetings because mainstream media never covers them. I get to associate names with faces and titles. These are school administrators, doctors, teachers and mothers giving their opinions and ideas to the President, the VP and their wives as well as relevant members of the administration. If you are worried about your kids I strongly suggest watching. I found it quite interesting and I don't even have kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQG835FyulE
Trump has no idea what he's doing. It's up to each state, not him, on how to deal with teaching during this pandemic. And I assure you, no school is going back to full capacity. The challenge is how to teach special ed kids.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:29 PM

2,923 posts, read 976,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has no idea what he's doing. It's up to each state, not him, on how to deal with teaching during this pandemic. And I assure you, no school is going back to full capacity. The challenge is how to teach special ed kids.
The schools in my area are going back to full capacity. Just 'requiring' a mask at all times.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
The schools in my area are going back to full capacity. Just 'requiring' a mask at all times.
Well full capacity is not happening in my state but it should be up to each state how to deal with this.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:58 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
A number of schools are going back to full capacity, we have school districts in counties that have had one or two cases in the entire district. In our state, as should be, each district is supposed to look at their risks, resources, and community requests to decide what format will work best for them.

The toll closing schools has taken on children who don’t live in traditional Ozzie & Harriet homes has been immense and significantly out weighs the risks from the virus. Depression, suicidal ideation, severe physical abuse, child neglect and sexual abuse have all risen. In addition, academic losses that have exceeded the amount of school missed for at-risk students have already been documented, along with the more developmental regression in children with disabilities beyond “just” learning ones. The children NEED to return to school, and they need to return to the maximum extent possible.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A number of schools are going back to full capacity, we have school districts in counties that have had one or two cases in the entire district. In our state, as should be, each district is supposed to look at their risks, resources, and community requests to decide what format will work best for them.

The toll closing schools has taken on children who don’t live in traditional Ozzie & Harriet homes has been immense and significantly out weighs the risks from the virus. Depression, suicidal ideation, severe physical abuse, child neglect and sexual abuse have all risen. In addition, academic losses that have exceeded the amount of school missed for at-risk students have already been documented, along with the more developmental regression in children with disabilities beyond “just” learning ones. The children NEED to return to school, and they need to return to the maximum extent possible.
Many of my family members are teachers so you don't have to tell me the toll these kids face in this pandemic. It's just awful. My sister teaches special ed. You can't do that online. But schools can't reopen unless it's safe.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Many of my family members are teachers so you don't have to tell me the toll these kids face in this pandemic. It's just awful. My sister teaches special ed. You can't do that online. But schools can't reopen unless it's safe.
In one of the former districts I worked with, Fairfax County, 80+% of parents in a survey requested school return to normal schedule. The district has since offered parents either 2 days in school attendance supplemented with online assignments/homework or full online. There is still another week or so left to get the paperwork in but so far the return requests by parents have run almost 90% for the two days (with lots and lots of comments about returning to normal) while over 50% of the teachers have requested full time online assignments. That’s going to present some challenges.

In terms of the overwhelmingly majority, going back full time is safe for the children. It’s the adults that are the problem. I’m sorry, but the damage this is doing to the kids is not justified by the protection afforded to the teachers. The schools exist to educate children, not employ teachers.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
In one of the former districts I worked with, Fairfax County, 80+% of parents in a survey requested school return to normal schedule. The district has since offered parents either 2 days in school attendance supplemented with online assignments/homework or full online. There is still another week or so left to get the paperwork in but so far the return requests by parents have run almost 90% for the two days (with lots and lots of comments about returning to normal) while over 50% of the teachers have requested full time online assignments. That’s going to present some challenges.

It is safe for the children. It’s the adults that are the problem. I’m sorry, but the damage this is doing to the kids is not justified by the protection afforded to the teachers. The schools exist to educate children, not employ teachers.
How do we know it's safe for children? We really don't.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
How do we know it's safe for children? We really don't.
The science tells us it is.

And, again, whatever risk there is to the kids from the virus is greatly overshadowed by the emotional, developmental, and academic damage being done by not going to school. The kids NEED to go back to the maximum extent possible.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
The science tells us it is.

And, again, whatever risk there is to the kids from the virus is greatly overshadowed by the emotional, developmental, and academic damage being done by not going to school.
Oh I know, I understand completely about the emotional state of these kids. I just don't know what the answer is in all of this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies