U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,994 posts, read 22,907,012 times
Reputation: 7256

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well 200 applicants at one job fair on one day. Job fairs are in addition to actually going to the plant and filing an application.

So normally do all employers fill every job opening with in 4 hours?
No I wouldn't expect it to, but I'm also well aware of the fact that that industry is HEAVILY dependent on immigrants of some kind. I'm guessing that most of the folks whe end up taking the jobs WILL still be immigrants (maybe legal, maybe not) but that pattern has been repeated in that industry all across the country over and over and over again, regardless of raids. I don't expect anything different this time around either.

Ken

 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,485 posts, read 6,507,401 times
Reputation: 12060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
From your own article:

About 25 to 30 people showed up to apply for jobs at Koch Foods' nearby poultry processing plant. Of those, about an equal number were black, white or Latino.

"This is what you'd normally see here," said Dianne Bell, communications director for the Mississippi Department of Employment Security, of the job fair held between 9 and 11 a.m.



So no change. This seems to disprove your point rather than the opposite.

680 job openings, 30 applicants.
Over 200 people ultimately showed up and filled out applications at this jobs fair. So demand was much higher than expected or what is normal: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ched-up-by-ice

The article in my OP merely touches on a snapshot in time on that day. Doesn't get into the total numbers, but the above article does

Again, again, these are just applications from the jobs fair. Doesn't get into who has been applying online or in person at the company itself!
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,925 posts, read 9,472,389 times
Reputation: 5356
Lazy illegals trying to mooch...

Oh wait
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,485 posts, read 6,507,401 times
Reputation: 12060
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wrong. Per the article:

About 25 to 30 people showed up to apply for jobs at Koch Foods' nearby poultry processing plant. Of those, about an equal number were black, white or Latino.

The people responding on this thread should do everyone a favor & read the actual link before responding.
That article only touched on a small window during the jobs fair.

Subsequent articles detail more about who/how many showed up at the jobs fair. Over 200 showed up at the jobs fair and filled out applications: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ched-up-by-ice
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:13 AM
 
14,269 posts, read 6,514,205 times
Reputation: 14678
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I have a neighbor (Hard Core Democrat Liberal) who gets one or two illegals who are milling around Home Depot parking lot, for work every three or so months per year to do between 4 and 6 hours of labor on his property. For that amount of time and work, he would give them each a $20 and a burrito for lunch. Now he's complaining because he can't find any that will work for that little. Apparently, the current administration has impacted his steady flow of cheap illegal day laborers. He's also the same scrub that cries and complains about how inhumane and stupid the border wall plan is.

Means: The border wall will prevent him from getting his 4 to 6 hours of labor on his property for a $20 and a burrito.
Your friend sounds just like these places that hire illegals & I donít see you complaining about the places hiring the illegals, just about the illegals. Why is that?
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,994 posts, read 22,907,012 times
Reputation: 7256
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ken,

That USA Today article only touched on who was there at the very beginning of the day.

Over 200 people came out and filled out applications in total: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ched-up-by-ice

But this is just one day's worth of a jobs fair. There will be others. And this doesn't even get into the people who will apply for those jobs online or directly with the company in person.

Bottom line is that Americans WILL and DO do these jobs, no matter how much the left and corporate republicans like to lie to the contrary.
So go down there and do it. I'll wait.
The fact is, you won't - and neither will most Americans, just as they don't want to be maids, farm laborers etc.

Ken
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,224 posts, read 21,904,620 times
Reputation: 21656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No I wouldn't expect it to, but I'm also well aware of the fact that that industry is HEAVILY dependent on immigrants of some kind. I'm guessing that most of the folks whe end up taking the jobs WILL still be immigrants (maybe legal, maybe not) but that pattern has been repeated in that industry all across the country over and over and over again, regardless of raids. I don't expect anything different this time around either.

Ken
You are probably right but that does not refute the evidence that yes there are plenty of citizen that are willing to work those jobs if given the opportunity.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM
 
14,269 posts, read 6,514,205 times
Reputation: 14678
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That article only touched on a small window during the jobs fair.

Subsequent articles detail more about who/how many showed up at the jobs fair. Over 200 showed up at the jobs fair and filled out applications: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ched-up-by-ice
I wasnít talking about the number. The other person said whites & blacks, hardly any Hispanics which is the exact opposite of what was in the article which I posted.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,485 posts, read 6,507,401 times
Reputation: 12060
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So go down there and do it. I'll wait.
The fact is, you won't - and neither will most Americans, just as they don't want to be maids, farm laborers etc.

Ken
Whether most Americans will do a job is besides the point; I'm an duly certified and barred attorney, so, no, this kind of job isn't what I'd be looking for, though I would do it if it was the only job that was available to me or fit my skill set. The job isn't "beneath" me.

The fact is that there are many Americans who will.

What is sad is that you seem disappointed that the number of American jobs seekers who actually showed up to this jobs fair (again, over 200 . . . and that only gets into applicants from the jobs fair, not those who applied online or in person at the company itself) is more than was originally reported. That is a shame.

The roundup of illegals immigrants opened up hundreds of jobs, which Americans are rushing to fill.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,224 posts, read 21,904,620 times
Reputation: 21656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So go down there and do it. I'll wait.
The fact is, you won't - and neither will most Americans, just as they don't want to be maids, farm laborers etc.

Ken
I think this show that most Americans, Americans who are unemployed and live near the processing plants will indeed do those jobs.
What you are saying is citizens who are employed in other states wont quit their job and move to Mississippi to apply for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top