U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 15 days ago)

12,485 posts, read 6,507,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It says 200 applications were filled out at the job fair, that doesn't mean for Koch, the other article was more detailed and specified, 25-30 applications were for Koch.

The last sentence I agree with, we have no idea of the numbers of people applying by other methods.

Edit: Sorry. NOT 200 applications filled out, that's how many came - no idea what the results were or if all of them were looking for jobs etc.
Yes, over 200 applications filled out:

From the article:

Quote:
The fair was held at the WIN Job Center in Forest, which is operated by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security, a state agency that helps people find jobs and file unemployment claims. Dianne Bell, a spokesperson for the MDES, told reporters the agency has had job fairs for Koch and other chicken processing companies in the past.

Bell said Koch first contacted the MDES about the fair last Wednesday, just one day after the raids. ”We treat Koch Foods just as we do any other business that comes to us,” she said, adding that the job fair was “not unusual.”

Bell said more than 200 people filled out applications during the job fair, which ran from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...ched-up-by-ice

This was a jobs fair held by Koch. The applications filled out were for Koch jobs at their meat processing facilities.

The other article was much less comprehensive than the Vice.com article, and only covered a small snapshot of the actual jobs fair numbers (my guess is because they were only briefly there and didn't stay to see all who showed up and filled out applications).

Note, the other article also says that the jobs fair ran from 9-11am, while the Vice.com article has the fair running until 1pm I believe. I'm going with Vice on this one.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 AM

1,521 posts, read 294,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Wrong. Per the article:

About 25 to 30 people showed up to apply for jobs at Koch Foods' nearby poultry processing plant. Of those, about an equal number were black, white or Latino.

The people responding on this thread should do everyone a favor & read the actual link before responding.
Well I guess it depends on what article you read.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ck-to-job-fair
By 10 a.m., a crowd of dozens was on hand, and steady stream of people came and went. Most were black and spoke with accents from the American South. A few appeared white or Hispanic.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 29 days ago)

11,997 posts, read 15,630,650 times
I think itís great people are applying for work.

I also hope there will be some upper level executive and managerial jobs opened up, cause they wonít control illegal immigration without going after those that do the hiring.

Fish rots from the head, ya know?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:33 AM

19,994 posts, read 22,907,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Democrats in 1865: "But who is going to pick our cotton?"

Democrats in 2019: "But who is going to pick our apples and slaughter our chicken?"

Bottom line is that there are Americans who are willing and who do these jobs.

Here's some food for thought about who is actually working farm jobs in this country:

https://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/11/...grant-workers/

The majority of farm jobs are held by Americans. And the overwhelming majority are held by Americans or legal residents of the United States.
And we have UE rate of under 4%. WHERE are the other workers coming from if all the illegals go home? Farms have problems NOW finding enough workers. Of course with Trumps' trade wars those farms may no longer NEED workers.
Is THAT the plan?

Ken

Old 08-14-2019, 11:34 AM

32,226 posts, read 20,317,649 times
Both articles stated that 200 showed up, one specified that 25-30 Koch applications were filled out, the other said ALL 200 filled out applications.... so one of them is wrong. I would go with the newspaper for accuracy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 AM

1,521 posts, read 294,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And we have UE rate of under 4%. WHERE are the other workers coming from if all the illegals go home? Farms have problems NOW finding enough workers. Of course with Trumps' trade wars those farms may no longer NEED workers.
Is THAT the plan?

Ken
Well then those farmers can use the legal route to employ migrant workers..H-2A

Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Is THAT the plan?

Ken
Ken,

The unemployment rate accounts for people either working or actively looking for work. Which means, according to the rate statistics themselves, there are many people actively looking for work who are still counted among the "employed. Moreover, this 4% of "unemployed" represents many millions of people. If there is truly a jobs shortage after all is said and done, then we can implement a visa worker program that actually works. But when we have illegal immigrants taking up jobs that Americans actually do and want, then we have a big problem.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 AM

1,826 posts, read 367,232 times
Quote:
Is THAT the plan?

Ken
Looks like real wages will go up even more for the lower and middle classes under Trump. That's good news.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM

14,269 posts, read 6,514,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ken,

The unemployment rate accounts for people either working or actively looking for work. Which means, according to the rate statistics themselves, there are many people actively looking for work who are still counted among the "employed. Moreover, this 4% of "unemployed" represents many millions of people. If there is truly a jobs shortage after all is said and done, then we can implement a visa worker program that actually works. But when we have illegal immigrants taking up jobs that Americans actually do and want, then we have a big problem.
Take it up with the places who are hiring the illegals. Hey, tell me, if all the Americans who are citizens are applying for & wanting these jobs, why arenít the companies hiring them?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Both articles stated that 200 showed up, one specified that 25-30 Koch applications were filled out, the other said ALL 200 filled out applications.... so one of them is wrong. I would go with the newspaper for accuracy.
I just reread the original article. Could find nothing about 200 people showing up. It only stated that 25-30 people filled out Koch applications.

But again, the original article also lists the jobs fair as being shorter than the Vice article did, and provides more quotes from people who actually oversee the jobs fair. So, yes, I'll go with the Vice article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or